All things Independence of the Seas

To everyone sailing on her tomorrow and next week - have a fanastic time and don't forget to tell us all on your return. Enjoy!!

Thanks for that English Rose we will :D :) .... Rich.....

We saw the Independence docked in Oslo when we sailed out on the Jewel on Monday. As we passed, the Captain saluted with the Jewel's horn and the Independence replied - it was lovely!

What a beautiful ship! I've never seen one so shiny & new - we took some photos but they are on my husband's laptop at the moment. I'll try & post one or two shortly. Good luck to all who are sailing on her, I'm sure you are in for a fantastic time!

By the way, Nerysj - love your avatar! Cymru am Byth!

Any UK passenger would save some money if they have a Nationwide Credit Card or a Post Office credit card, as both of these DO NOT charge an exchange rate conversion fee on foreign transactions. I only use these cards when abroad, and if you total everything on every trip - it is quite a saving! So I will be ticking (I already have on line) the box that states 'I do not require RCI to make the currency conversion fee.'

Every little helps!:p

I agree with what you say!! but I too tick the credit card box but they still convert using the ship and sterling just appears on my C Card bill which is a bit bad :eek: rather than dollars and conversion rate the CC company has used.... I think at check-in next time I will double check, as you say U.k saves a bit of money at the moment :cool:.

We saw the Independence docked in Oslo when we sailed out on the Jewel on Monday. As we passed, the Captain saluted with the Jewel's horn and the Independence replied - it was lovely!

What a beautiful ship! I've never seen one so shiny & new - we took some photos but they are on my husband's laptop at the moment. I'll try & post one or two shortly. Good luck to all who are sailing on her, I'm sure you are in for a fantastic time!

By the way, Nerysj - love your avatar! Cymru am Byth!

Would like to see the pictures if possible please :D

Thanks guys. Think we will go for the credit card conversion.... Also, good idea about Nationwide Credit Card. I have a Nationwide flex account so may apply for a nationwide credit card too. Hope theres time.....

(Doesnt she look beautiful:D )

Not sure whether these have been posted, but I have just found a couple of news reports, the link below is of a helicopter following the ship's arrival into Southampton, the other is a news report.

Have a great time all those sailing on her in the next few weeks. I have still got a few months to wait.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/articles/2006/03/07/shipspotting_feature.shtml

Ali

We are lucky enough to be sailing on our first cruise round canaries on 6th May! (It's our wedding anniversary on the 5th) Even luckier we seem to have a room upgrade... We booked a balcony and have ended up with a junior suite. We shall be travelling down next Saturday and staying at Grand Harbour for three nights before we sail. We have really enjoyed all the posts from you experienced cruisers, we are very excited, perhaps a little daunted with our forthcoming adventure, but most of all mega happy!!! Any tips will be welcome....and don't tell me I don't need all the clothes in my case..Ha x

99305687_crete088.jpg.5898c5baf4824f0d7b3894ec30982095.jpg

We were in Southampton today and went to the Carribean 'festival', I have to say there was less Royal Carribean/TA presence than I was expecting. We took a tour of the port (well, I say a tour, it was just a bus trip round the docks, without a commentary, and it cost £6 each) which I thought was expensive, but we got right up close to Indie, well the closest I'm going to get until Friday :)

858204351_indie030.jpg.59c258ec55d16ac9743fcef96191859f.jpg

292731761_indie015.jpg.114d6339a6e1657f565f41257e4940ac.jpg

1966266173_indie025.jpg.93f16ee7d4702f5ca6f6f41b5321c479.jpg

1123517718_indie026.jpg.3be780c8a4c80ac0641515d56be5cc7c.jpg

2104464885_indie028.jpg.3f9a314fb40aaca9dcc530384723a9fb.jpg

Great pictures and video links (though some links do not work for us across the pond).

Found more pictures and a write-up in the Southampton Daily Mail website (from Friday).

Not sure which link will work best:

http://www.southamptonuk.com/

Then click on: “Not much a cruise liner, more a floating town”

Or a direct link:

http://www.southamptonuk.com/external.php?lu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fpages%2Flive%2Farticles%2Fnews%2Fnews.html%3Fin_article_id%3D562080%26amp%3Bin_page_id%3D1770&ln=Not+so+much+a+cruise+liner%2C+more+a+floating+town&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.southamptonuk.com&rn=News

The comments seem interesting!

We are very excited and only have 49 days left. Wish it could come quicker! We envy all who can enjoy the festival this weekend and get to leave this coming week. Have fun!:D

Thanks guys. Think we will go for the credit card conversion.... Also, good idea about Nationwide Credit Card. I have a Nationwide flex account so may apply for a nationwide credit card too. Hope theres time.....

(Doesnt she look beautiful:D )

Getting a card is a breeze ........apply now, It'll take a couple of weeks max!

Good luck.

Hi all

We were in Southampton today to see the Indy and had a great day. The ship is just wonderful. I exptected to be big, but until you see it up close, you just don't realise how HUUUUUUUUUUUGE it really is.... It was a bitter-sweet experience as it it was lovely to see the ship, but sad that we have to wait until 27 August until we get onboard:o but hey, at least we are going!

My hubbie did a mini-video with photos and you can watch it here:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=7861025519383595978

Lisa

Hi

Thanks for posting the link - it was great...............thought Carol Thatcher wasn't too clever - no competition for Gloria Hunnyford there!!!

We went down to Southampton today and saw the Indy - fabulous - really good day.

I have posted a link to my hubbie's short video that he did on the 'all things Independence' thread.

Lisa

Joanne

You are a star for posting that information.............we are booked on the IoTS in August and my Mum and Dad are coming............just today we were chatting about cabin facilities. In fact, we were all down in Southampton having a look at the beautiful new Independence - lovely.

Anyway, my Mum was asking about tea-making facilities and I said I didn't know if kettles were available in all cabins, as I had read on another thread that the facilities were only available in suites. Mum was not a happy bunny. She has cruised P&O a few times and to he honest, is wearing me down comparing everying RCI against P&O. I feel that if anything goes wrong on this cruise it is gonna be my fault ! :mad:

She was having a moan about 'having to have' her morning tea.........(it is a real big deal with her), so I am thrilled that you have posted this information. One less thing for her to worry about! and me!!!

By the way - where can I find the 'mini-review' that you refer to.

thank you - thank you :)

By the way - where can I find the 'mini-review' that you refer to.

Lisa, have a look here: it's the main page of cruise critic uk version - http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=414

I have printed it out to show my Mum and Aunt tomorrow - we are cruising on Friday, their first cruise, and my first on RCI. I think the kettle will be a welcome addition, rather than bothering room service.

Cant wait to get on the ship now. :D

Cazz

That it great - thanks for your help - I am printing that off right away.

You have a wonderful cruise with your family. The ship looks fantastic from the outside.............I'm sure you will have a fantastic holiday.

Happy Cruising.............:)

Hi to everyone, I have been reading the information here prior to my first cruise on Independance in a couple of weeks.

Most of my questions have been answered - but a few remain. I know this is the first time Independance has done the cruise, but I assume that in previous years Navigator must of been similar.

The info given with my tickets indicates that we will have 9 Casual, 2 Smart Casual and 3 Formal nights on the 14 night cruise - this differs from what it says on the RC website and from I have read here. Obviously want to ensure I take the correct things. Also is there any way of finding out which nights will be the Formal & Smart nights ?

As we are in Barcelona overnight - can you get off the ship in the evening time - if so how far away are bars etc - will taxi's or a shuttle bus be available. Is there any time limit as when you have to be back on the ship by before they lock the door ?

What are the price of Beer and Wine onboard - and what choice do they have - is it english or american lagers ?

Some good advice about the tips - but if I opt out what am I best tipping the staff in, Pounds, Euro's or Dollars ?

Do the slot machines operate on tokens or cash and can you buy them on account or do you have to pay dollars cash.

Think that is everything - some great pictures on here - getting excited now.:D

Thanks