Family Vacation Week on HAL?

MargaritaPlease

Hello HALers!

We've cruised as a family on both Disney and Royal Caribbean now... And we're considering another cruise for school vacation week in February 2009. Our two active boys would be 12 and almost 14 at that time. We've browsed some HAL itineraries and see some interesting cruises on the Eurodam, Veendam, or Westerdam.

Not knowing much about HAL... Can anyone offer some thoughts on family cruising on HAL? Can anyone compare HAL to Disney or Royal Caribbean?

We'd appreciate your thoughts!

Personally, I would say that if you have "active" children, steer clear of HAL. True, they will probably meet plenty of other kids their age on the ship during a school vacation period, but they will have met many more on Disney or RCI. Also, RCI has ammenities that children love ... the rock wall, Flowrider, bungee trampolines, etc. HAL has none of that stuff. HAL does have a children's program and I've heard good things about it, but again that's mostly activities that the children do together ... tee-shirt painting, arts and crafts, computer games, movies, etc.

Of course, on HAL's side, I would say that you'll probably get more cruise for your money. RCI and Disney are not cheap. For what you'll pay for a short three or four-dayer on Disney, you'll probably pay even less for a seven-nighter on HAL. That's how HAL competes with these other lines.

So, I would say that your kids will probably have an enjoyable time on HAL, but that will be only if you are focused on a family vacation, and doing a lot of stuff as a family ... not just depending on them being entertained in the kids' programs. If the cruise is port-intensive, then that's a good thing also because the kids can have their fun in port, rather than on the ship.

You know your kids best, but just know that HAL won't offer them anything in the way of the ammenities of an RCI, Carnival or Disney ship. And, if they are the "active" type, that could be a problem ... too many sea days and boredom can easily set in.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am sailing with 3 teens on our first HAL cruise in February, during the week you are thinking about in 2009. We have sailed on Celebrity, RCCL, and Disney before. I think the itinerary is the key. We always plan active shore excursions that are fun for everyone. I really enjoy the family time together and have found that the kids always have fun in the evenings. I try to plan cruises with the least number of sea days and the most interesting ports for the family.

It sounds like you'll have a great family trip no matter which cruise you pick!

Cherie

I have been on three HAL cruises and not seen very many teens. I agree with the above posters, if your kids will have fun doing activities with the family, then great. If you are looking for a lot of activities for them on the ship, then HAL might not be the best choice. I would think they might be a little bored after being on the other lines that cater much more to kids and families.

As Rita said depends on what you are looking for as a family.

We find that we like HAL over RCI. That is because we don't need tons of activity for the family. Our days at sea we are happy to wind down with a good book by the pool. There are plenty of activities to keep us busy, but overall the atmosphere is more relaxing, less chaotic to me. DD (almost 10) will go to Club HAL days at sea, but not the whole day. We sleep late those days and take afternoon naps. When we are in port, we use lots of energy. Our upcoming cruise is packed with excursions that will leave us exhausted upon returning to the shop.

I wouldn't take my nephews (ages 6,13 and 15) on HAL though. They can't just sit but always have to be going a million miles an hour. I would take them on RCI though.

Like others have said if you have kids that want to "do things" HAL is not for you. There are no big poolside parties and "ship on a stick events". If your family and kids like that, they may not be happy on HAL. Evening activites too, will be very limited. The kareoke and the movies are hugely attended by the younger/tween crowd, because they are the only activities. HAL's spaces for these activities are also very small, compared to other cruise lines. So sometimes people do get frustrated with the younger people. All this being said, I will be on a spring break cruise this year. And I have a huge balcony, so I can have lots of space for myself.I love HAL due to it's laid back approach, but I don't think I would bring my children on a HAL cruise. My students LOVE Disney and RCCI, because of all the stuff and things to do. Unless you pick an itinerary with heavy ports and light sea days, HAL may not be a choice for you!

Thanks for your replies... One more question...

HAL seems to have a reputation of catering to an "older" crowd. For those of you that have cruised on HAL with kids - did you feel "well received" or like you were out of place?

I have an 11 year old. This will be our 3rd year on HAL. She likes the fact it's not terribly activity driven and is laid back. We haven't been on Disney but have cruised on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity previously. She prefers HAL. School vacation weeks tend to see more kids on HAL. We've never felt "out of place" with her on any of our cruises but then she's fairly well behaved also. You'll always find some travelers who feel that kids have no place on a ship, no matter what their behavior. But the majority are accepting.

We were on the Zaandam a few years back with our kids. Honestly if you were to choose a HAL cruise I would make sure it would be on one of their vista class ships (the larger ones). There really isnt much to do for teens on the smaller ships. While we thought the program was run well, our kids didnt care for the program too much. Their favorite is still Celebrity, followed by RCI and Carnival a distant second and third. As far as how people would treat you and your family- as long as your teens are well mannered your family would be welcomed anywhere on any HAL ship. The service is great on HAL. Honestly my husband and I loved HAL but wouldn't take our kids (who are 15 and 19 now) on a HAL cruise. They would be bored..

As I have posted, we have cruised with RCCL, Celebrity, and Disney with our children. February will be our first HAL cruise. From what I have read on CC the cruise you choose is very important. We will be on the President's week cruise on the Zuiderdam and I will let you know what the kids think. Our kids, now teenagers, have never been huge participants in the shipboard kids activities so I really don't think that I can review those programs. Our emphasis is always on activities in ports and making sure that everyone in our group has had a great day.

Archived