5 night Century 2/9/2008-formal night?

sunshade

Was wonderding how on a 5 night cruise how many people actually get dressed up for "formal" night. My husband really does not want to bring his suit for one night ( and I would prefer not to also). Could we do without and just dress up nicely (like we always do).

Was wonderding how on a 5 night cruise how many people actually get dressed up for "formal" night. My husband really does not want to bring his suit for one night ( and I would prefer not to also). Could we do without and just dress up nicely (like we always do).

Hi Sunshade !

While I wouldnt recommend it on longer sailings, you can wear a nice outfit, and not worry about being "Formal". On my past Century sailings, I noticed many who did not wear Suits etc. Just dress as nice as possible, and I am sure all will be fine.

Enjoy your Cruise !

We have always dressed "formally" on formal nights on 7 day cruises but since this is shorter I thought maybe we could get away with out the suit!!

Hi Sunshade!!

We will be on the same cruise. I am bringing along a lighter two button suit to wear on formal night. And the jacket will double as an outfit to wear with jeans on informal nights. I think it will be more of a casual cruise than a longer one anyhow, who wants to schlep all that stuff !!

Hi,

We sailed on the Century last April. My husband wore a dark suit and my teenage sons wore navy sport coats and tan Dockers with shirt and tie. There were a few tuxes, alot of suits and a alot of men in sport coats. I think you might feel uncomfortable without a jacket (just in a shirt and tie, for example), but maybe not ;) . If you are really trying to trim the luggage, I'd go with a sport coat and Dockers and plan to use the Dockers again another night and bring shoes that look fine with both types of outfits.

Enjoy!

Lynne

everyone at 2nd seating was in a suit or tux..almost everyone looked great!

It was the Informal night where things went crazy...shorts, jeans, t-shirts...etc.......or so I hear..I was at Muranos and everyone was dress appropirately.

Dave:eek:

On our 5 night Century cruise, of course we dressed formally...it is formal night.....as did most others. These dress code threads, alas....here I go. It makes as much sense to me to purchase a cruise with a formal night and not be bothered to dress formally as it does to use canola oil rather than Quaker State in my automobile because canola is good for you.:rolleyes:

We will be on the 5 night Century.

My DH had planned on taking his tux for formal night, until I told him how people appear to be dressing for the shorter cruises. Then, he decided to just wear a suit. Now he says that he is taking his tux because it doesn't take up any more room than his suit does and he might as well dress up.;)

For informal night (remember guys, informal does not mean casual - Informal is actually semi-formal...coat required,) DH plans to take his navy blazer or sports jacket. The other three nights are, I believe casual, where DH will wear khaki's and knit golf shirts.

We just got back from a 5 nite on Century. The itinery stated there would be 1 formal, 2 informal, and 2 casual nights so I packed for that. In reality it was 1 formal, 1 informal and 3 casual. DH was thrilled. For this shorter, caribbean cruise what we did was packed a dark suit (left the tux in the closet)for Dh which he dressed up for the formal night, white shirt, conservative tie and then dressed down with silk rounded neck shirt for the informal night. It seemed to be the best of both worlds. I agree, though if someone doesn't want to dress up on these nights they should make reservations at the casual dining, eat at the pasta station, or get room service. There's great options for everyone and then all can be happy.:p

We just got back from a 5 nite on Century. The itinery stated there would be 1 formal, 2 informal, and 2 casual nights so I packed for that. In reality it was 1 formal, 1 informal and 3 casual. DH was thrilled. For this shorter, caribbean cruise what we did was packed a dark suit (left the tux in the closet)for Dh which he dressed up for the formal night, white shirt, conservative tie and then dressed down with silk rounded neck shirt for the informal night. It seemed to be the best of both worlds. I agree, though if someone doesn't want to dress up on these nights they should make reservations at the casual dining, eat at the pasta station, or get room service. There's great options for everyone and then all can be happy.:p

I understand that the 2nd night has been formal. Which night has been informal on the 5 night cruise?

We just returned yesterday from five night. Formal nigh is 2nd night. Strange since it was a day we were in port. I guess on five night time is limited as to when to do it. Lobster was on last night which was casual . On formal nigh I wore my tux as I just want to make it special. I saw several others also. Others I say all wore suit. I really didn't see anyone not in at least a jacket and tie. Informal was jacket as well. I agree as above on formal night would feel out of place without at least a jacket

We just got back from the Century (5 night) on Saturday. The formal night was the second night and the informal night was the third night. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how dressed up people were. I expected people to be less dressed up because it was a shorter cruise, but I was wrong. Even on the casual nights, people seemed to dress up. On formal night, it seemed that all the men either had on a tux or a suit.

We just got back from the Century (5 night) on Saturday. The formal night was the second night and the informal night was the third night. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how dressed up people were. I expected people to be less dressed up because it was a shorter cruise, but I was wrong. Even on the casual nights, people seemed to dress up. On formal night, it seemed that all the men either had on a tux or a suit.

I'm thrilled to hear it. I've bought new formal & informal dresses for my 5-nighter on Century, and it would discomfit me to feel overdressed.

Caro

Archived