Genernal Celeb and Millenium Questions

JEDIKNIGHT

Thus far we've stuck to the smaller ships, but have been curious to try a "big ship" experience without getting too "Carnival-ish", I think you all know what I mean. Right now, we're pregnant and the day of carefree travels are coming to an end, so we're thinking of taking "one final cruise". Our usual line's schedule doesn't work, and I've always read nice things on Celebrity. HOWEVER, I've seen some conflicting reviews here so I was hoping to ask some basic general questions about Millenium, or Celeb in general.

(I'm thinking of booking a Royal Suite, Eastern Carib, 7 nighter)

1.)Embarkation/Disembarkation

Is it chaotic as some reviews suggest? Will the Royal Suite booking help make it smooth? How long would it really take? I'm trying to assess if there's a big "cattle" factor, like how it feels when you board an airplane.

2.)Cabin (Royal Suite)

In general, are they "nice"? The RS is on Deck 6, how is the noise? Is the A/C sufficient?

3.)Main Dining room.

*Is it possible to pre-reserve a table for two, every night?

*Food quality? Is it pretty good? Served hot?

4.)Olympic Dining

*Can one guarantee a table for two?

*Do menus change?

*Possible to reserve multiple nights if menus are varied?

5.)Alternate Dining

*I think there's buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner where you eat when you want? Is that true, and are there tables for two?

How is the buffet food?

Also, overall what is room service like?

6.)Royal Suite/Butler

Overall, is the Butler a helpful thing to have?

7.) Dining requests.

How skilled and willing are they to take special requests for different entrees?

8)Service.

I've always heard that Celeb's service is on par with a Hyatt/Marriott, if not better. But after the pre-paid tips I'm reading that it's gone down. What do you think?

9.)Tipping

Someone who sailed Celeb told me that despite pre-paid tips, he usually offers a heft cash tip on DAY ONE of the cruise, and he said that helped make the service great for the whole cruise. Any validity to this?

I'm embarassed to ask all these nit-picky questions but I figured before spending this kind of money, I might as well ask. Pretty much we're looking for something on the elegant side, great food, and a feeling of ease and privacy where we forget what time it is.

10.)Cruising while pregnant.

Anyone done it? How was it?

I thank anyone in advance for responses.

Safe travels to all of you.

Hi. I haven't sailed Celebrity yet, but there have been some recent reviews about the Millennium on here since the new year. Overall, it sounds like things have been positive since the New Year.

As for sailing when pregnant? I guess it would depend how you're feeling. I think I'd be nervous about sailing in my first pregancy when morning sickness tends to be the worst.

I hope I can at least answer some of your questions for you. You might want to read the review I posted as many of these questions are addressed in the review. I believe that someone responded to the review today and it is still listed on the first page. At the end of the review, under my signature, there is a link to pictures. There are MANY pictures of the Millie as well as pictures of one of the RS. I didn't sail in a RS, I was 2 doors down in a SS.

Is it chaotic as some reviews suggest? Will the Royal Suite booking help make it smooth? How long would it really take? I'm trying to assess if there's a big "cattle" factor, like how it feels when you board an airplane.

See Review. It was messy but moved quickly. Once inside where you check in, it was FAST.

2.)Cabin (Royal Suite)

In general, are they "nice"? The RS is on Deck 6, how is the noise? Is the A/C sufficient?

I was 2 doors down from the RS and it was very quiet. As I said above, I have pictures of the RS on my review.

3.)Main Dining room.

I thought the food quality was excellent. It was served hot. Remember, however, that these meals are not prepared to order. They are prepared in advance and kept hot/warm. I believe you can make a request for a table for 2 when making your cruise reservation. If not, others have suggested visiting the Maitre'd as soon as you board.

4.)Olympic Dining

*Can one guarantee a table for two? Yes

*Do menus change? No

*Possible to reserve multiple nights if menus are varied? Menu does not change, however the specials do change. If you go, don't miss the goat cheese soufflé.

5.)Alternate Dining

*I think there's buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner where you eat when you want? Is that true, and are there tables for two? There is a large seating area surrounding the buffet. The alternative dining refers to a small section at night (when there is no buffet), and you can order off the menu. The waiters are in training and there is a suggested $2 per person cover charge. I did not eat there, but I heard it was quite good, with a majority of the offerings coming from the dinner menu in the main dining room.

How is the buffet food? I would rate this average cruise fare. However, the waffles are fantastic. And this is coming from a person that normally does not like waffles. Also, sushi is served at night in the same area where they serve the waffles during the day.

Also, overall what is room service like? I found it to be very quick and good quality and selection. It is free, too. Be sure to order on the TV as I have heard ordering on the phone is not as reliable.

6.)Royal Suite/Butler

Overall, is the Butler a helpful thing to have? If you get Nelson, the butler we had, you will love him. I am thinking of booking another cruise on the Millie, and if I do, I will be certain to get a suite in his area. Again, please see the review.

7.) Dining requests.

How skilled and willing are they to take special requests for different entrées?

Have never tried this. I have always found things on the menu that I liked. There is also a section on the menu that is available every night during the cruise.

8)Service.

I've always heard that Celeb's service is on par with a Hyatt/Marriott, if not better. But after the pre-paid tips I'm reading that it's gone down. What do you think?

One time I didn't prepay tips, but handed them out at the end. This last time, I prepaid and then personally gave additional gratuities to those that I was really impressed with. I didn't notice a difference in the level of service between the two.

9.)Tipping

Someone who sailed Celeb told me that despite pre-paid tips, he usually offers a heft cash tip on DAY ONE of the cruise, and he said that helped make the service great for the whole cruise. Any validity to this?

I did tip the butler pretty well as soon as we met him for 2 requests that I had. I don't know if this influenced his level of service, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

I'm embarrassed to ask all these nit-picky questions but I figured before spending this kind of money, I might as well ask. Pretty much we're looking for something on the elegant side, great food, and a feeling of ease and privacy where we forget what time it is.

We were on Mille in December and sister ship Infinity in April in a RS. As for your questions:

1. Embarkation/Debarkation

A RS really doesn't help that much. Embarkation is rapid as long as there haven't been any immigration/coast guard/health holdups for everyone. Usually you can fly through at 11:30am. They do say stay out of your room prior to 1pm or so but we've had no problem dumping our carryons in the suite and then wandering around before going back to the bottle of champagne ;).

2. Cabin/Royal Suite

We had the 6133 is the furthest forward, closest to the elevator. When we were very near the door you could hear the elevator dings, barely. In the living area, bedroom and balcony no problem.

Things were a little dinged up but my understanding that they are starting to fix things up as time permits. The bedding did seem new, the drapery had some problems as did the outside furniture.

3. Main Dining Room

Every table is pre-reserved and for the second seating (8:30pm) it seemed that there plenty of tables for two (and tables for 6 only occupied by two). I can't say for the early seating. It also probably depends on your cruise.

Supposedly suite occupants (at least CS/RS/PH) do have a little clout in getting preferred dining arrangements but we have never done that. Ask your TA and if all else fails talk to your butler (see below).

4. Olympic Dining

Table for two is no problem at any time. Just tell your butler when you would like to go.

There are two menus. One is a limitted one if you want to also have them serve an accompanying wine with each course. Only 2-3 entrees for example. The other menu has more entrees and I think you can have 4 or 5 courses. Some folks that have eaten there every night have said they were offered off-menu items when the staff figured out what was going on.

5. Alternate Dining

You've got a Royal Suite with that nice big dining table. We had breakfast every morning there. Forget the little card menu, write down anything you want that they serve in the main dining room. Talk to your butler (below). Cuppicino/expresso is available anytime in your suite, not just breakfast.

You can also have lunch and dinner served (same menu as Main dining). Your butler will serve it either a course at a time or all at once - your preference. Did that a few times.

Since the table is for 4 you can invite others. You can also sit outside if the weather is nice. You can also get the 24/7 room service stuff if you have a craving.

6. Butler

This guy will take care of everything. We've had suites on X 4 times and always had a good one. Besides the dining reservations, in suite food he also will act as sort of a conciege. More than likely he's been off the ship at the ports of call and can give you advice if you ask. He normally only comes around with the tea service (scrumptious sandwiches and cookies) and hors douvers (horrid things per George but MaryBeth likes). Ask for change ups such as cheese plates. Also, we had a pitcher of tomato juice in the fridge at all times for bloody marys.

Talk to your butler. He really can help make a royal suite seem royal.

7. Dining Requests

Talk to your maitr'd in advance and they can usually accomodate you. If nothing on the menu looks appealing they may have alternatives beyond the steak and salmon thats available every night.

8. Service

If anything the Service is the part that seems to have remained at the highest point. I would say food quality and ship maintanance have slipped some but the Service has not lost a star.

9. Tipping

Tips are not pre-paid. You can at the end of your cruise choose a cash-less tip using the recommended tipping rates but its not mandatory. The staff members have no idea ahead of time.

I doubt pre-tipping really matters. I've found that tipping during the cruise for extraordinary service is appreciated but doesn't really affect the entire cruise one way or another.

10. Cruising while pregnant

Your on your own there.

11. Warning

Once you have cruised in a Royal Suite you may have problems settling for less.

Thus far we've stuck to the smaller ships, but have been curious to try a "big ship" experience without getting too "Carnival-ish", I think you all know what I mean. Right now, we're pregnant and the day of carefree travels are coming to an end, so we're thinking of taking "one final cruise". Our usual line's schedule doesn't work, and I've always read nice things on Celebrity. HOWEVER, I've seen some conflicting reviews here so I was hoping to ask some basic general questions about Millenium, or Celeb in general.

(I'm thinking of booking a Royal Suite, Eastern Carib, 7 nighter)

2.)Cabin (Royal Suite)

3.)Main Dining room.

4.)Olympic Dining

*Can one guarantee a table for two?

*Do menus change?

*Possible to reserve multiple nights if menus are varied?

5.)Alternate Dining

*I think there's buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner where you eat when you want? Is that true, and are there tables for two?

How is the buffet food?

Also, overall what is room service like?

6.)Royal Suite/Butler

Overall, is the Butler a helpful thing to have?

7.) Dining requests.

How skilled and willing are they to take special requests for different entrees?

8)Service.

9.)Tipping

I'm embarassed to ask all these nit-picky questions but I figured before spending this kind of money, I might as well ask. Pretty much we're looking for something on the elegant side, great food, and a feeling of ease and privacy where we forget what time it is.

I can only respond to the questions that apply:

On our 2004 Medi cruise we were upgraded from an aft cabin to a Royal Suite. We didn't know this until we embarked. Without this upgrade we would never have been able to afford the Royal Suite....cruising will never be the same.

Q1: no difference with embarkation as we didn't know what awaited us yet!

disembarkation was smooth and I don't know if we were given preferential treatment.

Q2. Yes the Royal Suite is "nice". Enjoy it...my husband spent most of his time in the hot tub on the deck. No noise. Airconditioning didn't even enter our minds.

Q.4 When you make a reservation at the Olympic you can reserve whatever you want. I don't think the menus change but I could be wrong. IMHO it was a waste of money. It wasn't any better than the dining room.

Q.6 The Butler was awesome and would be there whenever we needed something...like altering my DH's rented tux which was too long in the sleeves. He took it away and like magic it was done. Drycleaning was done in a flash. Since we are not used to a Butler it was a little awkward at first.

Q.7 Didn't have any problems with dining requests.

Q.8 Service was awesome.

Q.9 We tipped at the end of the cruise and what is considered standard.

Just a note...as Suite occupants, we got an invitation to dine at the Captain's table and a tour of the bridge. The tour of the bridge was unusual as it was after 9 11.

You will love the Royal Suite, we did.

(10.)Cruising while pregnant.

I hope it is early in your pregnancy. Celebrity will not accept passengers who are in their third trimester or will reach their thrid trimester (27th week) during the cruise.

Quote: Tips are not pre-paid. You can at the end of your cruise choose a cash-less tip using the recommended tipping rates but its not mandatory. The staff members have no idea ahead of time... George & MaryBeth

We've just booked our first cruise with Celebrity (still months away from sailing) and we've had to pay gratuities of $220 per person for a 15 night cruise, on top of the cruise fare and port taxes - so i do beleive at least this time, the tips are pre-paid. That said, i will still tip on board for times when i receive great service from someone :) . I just hope the crew know we've pre-paid at the time of booking and don't assume we're tight-wads! :eek:

Babeatsea, at the end of your cruise you will receive tip vouchers which you put in envelopes and give to staff members, so you will not be regarded as a 'tightwad'.

If you have received exceptional service, you can always add money to the envelopes - it is up to you.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I do know that staff is made aware (I don't know which night of sailing or if it is right from the start) of which cabins have prepaid their tips.

For this reason, on my recent cruise, I decided NOT to add them to the account at the beginning. I always give more than the regular amounts, and my thinking was the staff would see this and think this is all they were going to get from me.

So on the last day that you can do so, I added the gratuities to my account and was certain to ask my Butler for the envelopes. The last night on the ship, I visited those that provided great service and handed them additional tips.

I don't know if it makes any difference in the service I received.

I'll go for your last question.

We sailed with our daughter and sil when she was expecting our first grandchild on X, the Constellation to be exact, on a Canada/New England cruise. She was around 20 weeks, but I can't remember exactly. But she was well under the cut-off date. So check and make sure what the cut off date is.

There have been several threads about cruising while pregnant, and the pros and cons. Obviously, the con is that there may be a problem and medical help would be far away. That is why my daughter chose Canada/New England because we would be near good medical care.

She never needed care, and held up well during the cruise. Only once did food bother her, and I think it actually bothered the waiter more because she just told him to take it away quickly, and he felt it was not up to par. We reassured him it was just the baby. And the wine steward kept coming by the table every evening; it took about five days for him to learn to bypass our table as we were not going to drink alcohol.

Anyway, she felt fine and handled the "babymoon" very well. It was their last big trip, and we got to share it with them. She did a lot of sleeping when we rented cars at ports, but that was okay. In fact, she just did a lot of sleeping.

Her doctor knew she was cruising, and okay'ed it. She had all information with her, and did everything by the book. Some will tell you, however, that anything can happen, and don't chance it.

So, it's your call. Decide between yourselves and your doctor. If you go, you will have a blast on Celebrity.

Congratulations,

Shay

JEDIKNIGHT,

I think you'll have a great time. Answers to your questions are below, based on our experience in a penthouse in Nov 2007 on Millie (2 weeks), and sky suite in April on Connie (5 nights):

1. Embarkation - always been relatively quick for us. We were pleasantly surprised it was smoother than a couple of our experiences on Crystal.

2. RS - can't comment on the suite, but the deck is very good. If you get the one near the port side penthouse, you may have the butler we had - Alex - who was terrific. Noise was not an issue at all for us. You will be at the top of the pecking order for service requests (dining reservations, excursions, etc) - you'd be some of the highest priority passengers among a couple thousand passengers - so it makes a difference.

3. Main dining room - we always ask and receive a table for 2. The table is assigned for the duration of your cruise so, yes, you'll get it every night. The better your cabin, the higher you are in the table request order. Make sure your reservation requests table for 2. We found food quality to be very good (A-), and presentation is good (B).

4. Olympic - The speciality restaurant is tops. We dined there 3 times on our last cruise, and twice even on our 5-nighter. Antal is the Maitre' d in Olympic is he is superb. The printed menus change infrequently, but if you want variety simply ask Antal. We'll often leave it up to him to select our menu and he and the chef will come up with creations not on the menu. So don't be concerned that the menu doesn't change often.

5. Alternative dining - Buffets are available and are open seating and there are lots of tables for 2 and/or 4, so just find a table (which is usually not an issue) and make it a table for 2 by sitting down. Buffet food quality is pretty good. All food tends to be better going from kitchen to table without stopping at a steamtray, but we did enjoy the buffet. Also try the aquaspa cafe near the pool - good, fresh, light fare. It is open during the day with the same excellent waitstaff as Olympic at night. For dinner, there is also "casual dining" which is near the buffet and is open seating but with a menu rather than buffet. Room service is very good. We used it every single day for breakfast, and on occassion for lunch.

6. Butler - very helpful. Our butler Alex would serve us breakfast in our suite each morning (including almond croissants in the morning before they were available in the Cova Cafe), bring us up sushi from the sushi bar (though not advisable for pregant women, of course), get us ice cream, picked up our excursion tickets, and helped to arrang a champagne sailaway party we threw. Just ask, and they do their best to help.

7. Food special requests - they are open to special requests. They simply ask for advanced notice. So, for example, if you want lamb chops that aren't on the menu, just be courteous and ask for them the night before. If it depends on whether you like that night's menu, then ask your maitre d' for the next night's menu the day before, so you can see it and request any changes with appropriate notice. If you have special dietary requirements for the journey (wheat free, etc.) then send an email to special_needs@rccl.com at least a month in advance and explain your dietary needs and what you're asking them to do about it. We did that for wheat free/gluten free and they were very helpful in the main dining room and speciality restaurant.

8. Quality of service - yes, general onboard service is on par with 4-star hotel. We found the butler service for our penthouse (and your royal suite) much more attentive. Run all requests (housekeeping, excursions, whatever) through your butler and he/she will work hard to ensure you get top service and are the top of the pecking order where waitlists are concerned.

9. Prepaid tips - Our tips are generally pre-paid by our travel agent, and then at the end we pay additional gratuities - especially for the butler. The prepayment is based on a convention for tabulating who gets what - and it is all adjustable before the end of the cruise. We usually leave the prepaid as-is (never had need to reduce), and then add additional gratuities (such as for Olympic maitre d') as appropriate. We've never found a need to pay cash in advance for the good service we receive.

10. Pregant - we have no experience there.

Enjoy your trip!

I cruised many years ago while pregnant with my third child. Can't remember how many weeks I was, but I believe about 30 weeks--I know I had a HECK of a time getting the life jacket on during the muster.

Don't remember any ill effects at all other than having trouble laying on my stomach while sunbathing!

I also cruised with my firstborn when she was 4 months old--that was a ton of fun and I would do it again if I had that option. Much easier to cruise with them before they can walk!

One funny story--we cruised coincidentally during Easter week. This was 1981 on NCL. They had a priest on board to conduct services because of the holiday--he was a young man and exceptionally friendly. Well, he just loved my daughter, who had (has!) a very winning smile, and when we ran into him in the dining room as he was finishing up first seating and we were coming for second seating, he would take her and parade her around the ship, allowing us to dine comfortably. This happened multiple times. And of course we felt perfectly safe turning her over to a Catholic priest--how perfect!

Mind you, this was in 1981 before all the horrible revelations about priests--would we do it again today? I bet any priest today would not dare even offer! We get a big kick when we think about the irony of it. BTW my husband is Jewish and I am athiest!

cp

Quote: Tips are not pre-paid. You can at the end of your cruise choose a cash-less tip using the recommended tipping rates but its not mandatory. The staff members have no idea ahead of time... George & MaryBeth

We've just booked our first cruise with Celebrity (still months away from sailing) and we've had to pay gratuities of $220 per person for a 15 night cruise, on top of the cruise fare and port taxes - so i do beleive at least this time, the tips are pre-paid. That said, i will still tip on board for times when i receive great service from someone :) . I just hope the crew know we've pre-paid at the time of booking and don't assume we're tight-wads! :eek:

You are getting 100% ripped off by someone if they are forcing you to prepay tips months in advance. Its absolutely uncalled for no matter what the cruise or cruise line.

This has nothing to do with whether you should prepay, how much to tip or how much to tip over/under recommended. Only that you received extremely bad service from your TA or whoever you purchased your cruise from forcing you to prepay tips.

With only 2 cruises under my belt and our third planned for November 2008, I have never heard of having to prepay gratuities either??? 1st cruise was a Princess ship and the other 2 are Celebrity.

We are cruising on the Millie in June to Alaska and we were on the Infinity to Mexico in April of 2006. We chose pre-paid gratuity on each of these. There is nothing saying you must do this, it's a choice. We do it because we already know that the minimum is already taken care of. Even when you do pre-pay, you still receive envelopes a couple of nights before the end of the cruise. Like mentioned before, we too, give extra to the deserving help and we do extra tip along the way. I do not think that just because you do pre-pay that it means the caliber of help is any different than if you wait and do it all at the end. If they do know that some of their assignments have pre-paid, they know that they will not get totally stiffed and I think they will still do their best to serv you just so they may get more.

You are getting 100% ripped off by someone if they are forcing you to prepay tips months in advance. Its absolutely uncalled for no matter what the cruise or cruise line.

This has nothing to do with whether you should prepay, how much to tip or how much to tip over/under recommended. Only that you received extremely bad service from your TA or whoever you purchased your cruise from forcing you to prepay tips.

I believe that prepaid tips are required from some non-US or non-Canadian bookings. Babeatsea's location says New Zealand.

You are going to love the RS and yes you will be spoiled forever! A table for two was never a problem for us. The location was great and quiet. I mention this only because our table for two on Hal was right across from the waiters station which was a distraction.

Embarkation was extremely quick -- not sure if RS status had anything to do with that because we did not see any real long lines. I absolutely agree to take advantage of all your butler can do for you. Xavier was ours on the Millie this past February and he was wonderful. Took care of many things we requested and suggested some things we never thought about. For example, he suggested that I hang our dinner attire at a particular spot in the closet in the mornings and he would see that everything was pressed. Took care of all reservations, room service, offered to pack and unpack (we declined), noticed our preferences in fruit and mini bar selections and adjusted accordingly, and was never more than 5 or 10 minutes away after a call.

We also were invited to dine at the Captain's table which was a wonderful experience. Not sure if that was because we were in the RS or because the Captain performed our vow renewal ceremony or just a random invite.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

You are going to love the RS and yes you will be spoiled forever! A table for two was never a problem for us. The location was great and quiet. I mention this only because our table for two on Hal was right across from the waiters station which was a distraction.

Embarkation was extremely quick -- not sure if RS status had anything to do with that because we did not see any real long lines. I absolutely agree to take advantage of all your butler can do for you. Xavier was ours on the Millie this past February and he was wonderful. Took care of many things we requested and suggested some things we never thought about. For example, he suggested that I hang our dinner attire at a particular spot in the closet in the mornings and he would see that everything was pressed. Took care of all reservations, room service, offered to pack and unpack (we declined), noticed our preferences in fruit and mini bar selections and adjusted accordingly, and was never more than 5 or 10 minutes away after a call.

We also were invited to dine at the Captain's table which was a wonderful experience. Not sure if that was because we were in the RS or because the Captain performed our vow renewal ceremony or just a random invite.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We were also invited to dine at the Captain's table when we were holed up in the Royal Suite! lol

We also had a tour of the bridge.

I can speak to the pregnancy question. We also chose to cruise as our last hurrah, convinced we would never be able to take a nice trip again (no grandparents to babysit). I was in my second trimester and experienced no seasickness, despite intense rolling seas. The way my bed was positioned, I was afraid I would roll right out of it! Great trip, and how special to sail in the royal suite! You'll never forget it.

Little did I know that we would take that child and travel all over the world with her! When the other two came along we decided to take up cruising again, as the children are well-cared for in the ship's program and there is plenty of private time for Mom and Dad! Now that they are older, we'll probably start taking land vacations again. (I keep saying that...and keep booking cruises!)

Archived