Help! We'd like to go to the ruins!

CharismaticWoman

We are going on a family cruise soon and we are stopping in Cozumel. Several people have expressed interest in going to see the ruins, but everyone in the group will not be able to do a lot of walking. What would be the best was (and is it even possible) to go see the ruins without having to go on a tour? Can you easily walk up to them without having to walk up a whole bunch of stairs?? Trying to get an idea if this is doable.

Also, would it be best to rent a car to get there? We will need a car big enough for 6 people, would we have to rent 2 jeeps?

Thanks!!

Are you talking about the ruins that are actually on the island? Called Gervais, or something like that? I haven't seen them, but as I understand they are very small and I don't think walking/climbing would be a problems.

You can get taxi's or vans that hold six--we did three years ago, just found one on the dock near the ship.

If you are talking about Tulum, which is on the mainland, I'd want to take a ship's tour there, since it is quite a long day; ferry, bus (or car) to ruins, and back. I'm not a fan of the ship sponsored tours, but in this case would do it because they will wait for you if the excursion is late. It's something like an 8-hour excursion.

Tulum doesn't require much, or any, climbing, unless you want to climb on some of the rocky places overlooking the shore. Climbing the pyramid is no longer allowed. It does require a fair amount of walking from the buses to the site and around the site. It can be very hot.

Any other ruins, such as Chichen Itza, are even farther away and probably hard to do unless your ship is in port very late.

Yes, the ruins at San Gervasio are easy to tour on your own. Not a lot of stairs, just a few iguanas. :D Grab a cab to get there and view the ruins at your leisure.

This is what we are doing in April and then going to Paradise Beach:D

Archived