Legend Questions

eclipsethecat

Hello Everyone,

I am a first time cruiser and I have several questions-thanks in advance for your help!

1) Do the rooms have a safe?

2) Can you open the fridge to put pop and waters that you bring with you in them?

3) Are there usually lockers at the beaches on the carnival shore excursions? If not, what do you do with your valuables when you are on the tours?

4) Anything you wish you would've known your first time?

5) Has anyone ever taken sandwiches with them on the tours from the ship? Do they package them so you can take them with you? (Trying to save some money!)

6) Liquor- sneaking on; good idea or bad? Do they throw it away if they find it?

7) What if I don't want to use my funpass- should I still sign up for it? I think I have to in order to get fully pre-boarded!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Thanks! I will post there and hopefully someone will see this here too-

I guess this is a question for everyone- for the people who flew into Tampa and went straight from the airport to the port, what service did you use? Taxi? Van? Etc. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Our First cruise was on the legend and we loved it! The one thing we learned was if you do something in each port you will not have time to just walk around or shop. 4 hour trips are more like 6 when you get back. We had no time to see anything in Belize and had 1.5 hours to shop in Cozumel. We are planing on doing the same cruise next year and this time just shop and relax. My wife wantted to go to the information talks for each port I felt it was a waste of time they talked about jewerly alot. So we didn't have much time to sit by the pool and relax. If you have any other questions you can read my reveiw or email me at mhch82@sbcglobal.net

Have fun:)

Mike

I quit going to the port talks after my first cruise. Seems like they mostly try to steer you to the "preferred" stores. It's much more fun to venture out on your own when shopping.

Also, they will play it on your cabin TV.

Hello Everyone,

I am a first time cruiser and I have several questions-thanks in advance for your help!

1) Do the rooms have a safe? Yes use old gift card to open and close

2) Can you open the fridge to put pop and waters that you bring with you in them? Yes but the fridges are not really that cold. You probably be better off with a portable cooler and ice.

3) Are there usually lockers at the beaches on the carnival shore excursions? If not, what do you do with your valuables when you are on the tours? We keep are valuables to a minium while on excursions and use waterproof containers for money and credit card so we can keep them with us.

4) Anything you wish you would've known your first time? That is some of the thrill of being the first time:o

5) Has anyone ever taken sandwiches with them on the tours from the ship? Do they package them so you can take them with you? (Trying to save some money!) Never tried this.

6) Liquor- sneaking on; good idea or bad? Do they throw it away if they find it? If port security catches it at embarkation its gone. If you pack it in your checked luggage and Carnival catches it then there is a good chance you can get it back at the end of the cruise.

7) What if I don't want to use my funpass- should I still sign up for it? I think I have to in order to get fully pre-boarded! Do the funpass it will make embarkation faster for you. Unless you want to wait until they type all that information for you and your party.

Responses in black.

Vinnie just saved us alot of typing! I second the idea of the collapsible cooler...pack it in your luggage and ask the room steward to keep it iced (best to keep it in your bathroom). Of course give him a little extra tip for this service!

Carnival doesn't make a point of packing food to bring onshore, and I think there are even some laws about this from a thread I read. But if you were to stick a muffin or something from breakfast in your backpack, I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem. Eat a big breakfast and grab a snack while off the ship if you want to save money...you can get something more substantial when you get back on board....there is ALWAYS food available.

Another thing if you want to save money is to bring soda on board. We brought a 12 pack each in a rolling duffle.

We bring our own liquor in 2 liter soda bottles packed in the giant ziplocks. Make sure it is in your checked luggage and not what you carry on. We have never had a problem, and the room stewards don't care.

Do the funpass...makes it quicker when you get on the ship.

We absolutely LOVED the Legend...sailed her in November. Was such a

great ship and wonderful ports that we wouldn't mind doing the same trip for our next cruise!! Hope you have a fantastic time!!!!

Thanks! I will post there and hopefully someone will see this here too-

I guess this is a question for everyone- for the people who flew into Tampa and went straight from the airport to the port, what service did you use? Taxi? Van? Etc. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Forgot to answer this question...we flew in Sun morning and took a taxi from the airport...very easy and quick. We landed at 10:00, got our luggage, hopped in the taxi and were at the port by 10:40. About a 15-20 minute ride. I believe it was $22 each way (not per person). Much cheaper and quicker than the Carnival shuttle.:D

Is the aft pool on the Legend for adults-only? Thanks!

Absolutely! And the Unicorn bar is there, also. They do allow children back in that area, but not in the pool and the spa. And since they can't go in the pool, they generally don't hang around back there for long...sometimes to eat with the

families. That was my husband's and my signature spot (day and nite) for most of our cruise! VERY QUIET and relaxing at nite, if you neeed some peace!:D

Absolutely! And the Unicorn bar is there, also. They do allow children back in that area, but not in the pool and the spa. And since they can't go in the pool, they generally don't hang around back there for long...sometimes to eat with the

families. That was my husband's and my signature spot (day and nite) for most of our cruise! VERY QUIET and relaxing at nite, if you neeed some peace!:D

Perfect! Thanks!

6) Liquor- sneaking on; good idea or bad? Do they throw it away if they find it?

I have heard that if you package 1 bottle of liquor as a gift they will not confiscate it. I do not know if it is true, but I was told this by a frequent carnival traveler.

Also, I plan on bringing my own supply of ziplock bags so I can make and store sandwiches for excursions. This along with a soft-sided cooler ought to save us a $50 for the 6 of us.

Q: Can anyone tell me if the arcade games in the kids areas are free?

-FoF

Hi,

The games at the arcade are not free. I believe they use tokens that cost 25 cents each, I believe. I've been on the Legend before. I think there is a machine where you insert bills and you get tokens. You may even be able to use your sign & sail card.

We have always brought a bottle of liquor as my husband does not like Bacardi rhum so we bring our own. It's a big plastic bottle that we buy at the liquor, therefore, tightly sealed. We have never had a problem and this will be our 6th cruise. Also, we have bought liquor on some of the islands and as long as we kept it hidden, like in a backpack, we had no problem bringing it it even though they saw it when it went through the x-ray machine. If you are carrying it in and people can see, they have to take it. That has been our experience.

@Elipse the cat, you should complete your funpass, you will save a lot of time.

I hope everyone has fun!!

Hi,

The games at the arcade are not free. I believe they use tokens that cost 25 cents each, I believe. I've been on the Legend before. I think there is a machine where you insert bills and you get tokens. You may even be able to use your sign & sail card.

We have always brought a bottle of liquor as my husband does not like Bacardi rhum so we bring our own. It's a big plastic bottle that we buy at the liquor, therefore, tightly sealed. We have never had a problem and this will be our 6th cruise. Also, we have bought liquor on some of the islands and as long as we kept it hidden, like in a backpack, we had no problem bringing it it even though they saw it when it went through the x-ray machine. If you are carrying it in and people can see, they have to take it. That has been our experience.

@Elipse the cat, you should complete your funpass, you will save a lot of time.

I hope everyone has fun!!

We never had a problem bring liquor in soda bottles in checked luggage. However, we did buy Kahlua in Cozumel and they had wrapped it in newspaper for us. When our backpack went through the xray machine, they saw it and took it until the end of the cruise. So luck of the draw, I guess! At least they held it for us and didn't confiscate it!;)

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I am a newbie with my first cruise scheduled for Oct. 2010 on Carnival Legend... I have some of those Rum Runner Flasks and plan to bring a little Grey Goose vodka with me, does anyone see that as a problem?

Also, should we book excursions through Carnival, or when we get to the port?

Thanks...counting down the days!

It's been a couple years since we have cruised but have the Legend booked for 2011.

If I remember correctly if you are going through customs at the port, they do not allow certain foods to be brought into the country.

We recently got off a flight with a left over sandwich from the airlines and it was taken by the custom's people.

I also believe Carnival tells you not to take food from the ship to the ports.

I guess the worse they do is take the food.

Just got off The Legend on Sunday.

1. Tampa is one of the easiest ports to come and go.

2. The mini-fridgs were nice and cold to me.

3. My two plastic rum travelers (checked in luggage) went through just fine as well as my 12 pack of Miller Light.

4. The spirit class ships are my fav, just the nature of their set-up.

5. Extended balconies have a trade-off. If you want to watch the waves gliding past and bouncing off the ship, your view will be blocked significantly by the life-boats.

6. She is starting to show a few signs of rust and wear, but not too bad.

7. I don`t think anybody has anything to worry about, but I`m not 100% convinced that her port engine is at full return.

JMHO

Hello Everyone,

1) Do the rooms have a safe? See Vinnie's answer

2) Can you open the fridge to put pop and waters that you bring with you in them? Be sur eto have the room steward empty the fridge, befor eyou put yourstuff there, if you decide to go that route.

3) Are there usually lockers at the beaches on the carnival shore excursions? If not, what do you do with your valuables when you are on the tours? See Vinnie's answer. But some resorts have lockers you can use.

4) Anything you wish you would've known your first time? Don't hit the main buffet lines on embarkation day. Go aft. Do the deli and grill. Or atleast go aft for seats that day.

5) Has anyone ever taken sandwiches with them on the tours from the ship? Do they package them so you can take them with you? (Trying to save some money!) You CAN NOT DO THIS PERIOD! Bring factory sealed, packaged snacks from home, this you can do. And canned soda too. Also the advice to eat a bigger breakfast and then snack again when you come back is a good way to go.

6) Liquor- sneaking on; good idea or bad? Do they throw it away if they find it? For hard liquor, use a rum runner to be safe. Pack in checked luggage not carry on. For beer, there has been success packing cans and plastic bottles in checked luggage. But this isn't guaranteed.

7) What if I don't want to use my funpass- should I still sign up for it? I think I have to in order to get fully pre-boarded! Do the fun pass, makes life so much easier on embarkation day. You're on vacay why spend time with the extra paper work.:)

And Finally, don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your cruise.

Forgot to answer this question...we flew in Sun morning and took a taxi from the airport...very easy and quick. We landed at 10:00, got our luggage, hopped in the taxi and were at the port by 10:40. About a 15-20 minute ride. I believe it was $22 each way (not per person). Much cheaper and quicker than the Carnival shuttle.:D

I second this! We took a taxi, super easy and we didnt have to wait around for Carnival shuttle. We are going to do it again when we cruise this year.

Archived