Passports needed--yes or no?

tracyg13

I just read somewhere that they changed the rules again, and passports will be needed starting soon. I am cruising this April and didn't get passports for my family of four because I was trying not to spend $400 bucks just yet.

Does anyone know the official answer on this? I tried doing a search, but it didn't work well.

Thanks for the help.

Tracy,

Passports are not required. Strongly recommended, yes, but not required.

Make sure you understand:

a) the birth certificates are certified (not hospital issued) copies

b) you have a government issued picture ID for anyone 18 or over (for your trip in April this next part is not an issue, but for anyone cruising in May or later, verify your ID is REAL ID compliant)

c) Realize that you will not be able to catch up with the ship if by air if you miss it in any port.

d) In case of medical emergency, you will experience a delay in returning to the US by air until a humanitarian exception passport can be issued.

Assuming you have already accepted the above--no problems! Enjoy your cruise.

I just read somewhere that they changed the rules again, and passports will be needed starting soon. I am cruising this April and didn't get passports for my family of four because I was trying not to spend $400 bucks just yet.

Does anyone know the official answer on this? I tried doing a search, but it didn't work well.

Thanks for the help.

We are cruising in July and my PVP told me on Friday the date had changed once again to 2009...we decided not to get ours since there is 5 in our family, this is our first cruise so we might decide its not for us(I really doubt this for DH and I but the kids might only want to do it once)

plus we are driving to the Mobile Port....

If we decide to really get into cruising(which I think we will:D ) I will definitely get passorts for the future:)

according to Carnival over the phone, passports will be required starting in June 2008.
This is no longer the case; for a full discussion see the sticky thread over on the Ask a Cruise Question forum..more details than anyone probably needs!.

Quick summary: Passports are not currently, and will not be required in the forseeable future, for RT cruises from the US for US citizens. Still recommended for all the reasons noted above.

Thanks for the help.

UGH...double post

according to Carnival over the phone, passports will be required starting in June 2008.

We are sailing in April as well without passports-

The extra $300. is insane!

If you are only going to cruise or travel out of the country just once.......MAYBE insane.

I choose to look at it that the passport is good for 10 years.($10.00 yr on avg) If I have to fly back home it could be a bargain!

I kinda looked at trip insurance as not being a good deal either. UNTIL our family almost missed a fully paid for trip. We were looking at canceling our cruise up until Wednesday before we left on Friday to drive to NOLA to catch the boat on Saturday. I was facing losing that cruise and basically having to buy another, as it was our childrens Christmas Present. I NOW BUY INSURANCE! And travel with a Passport!

You just never know.

Good luck!

If you are only going to cruise or travel out of the country just once.......MAYBE insane.

I choose to look at it that the passport is good for 10 years.($10.00 yr on avg) If I have to fly back home it could be a bargain!

I kinda looked at trip insurance as not being a good deal either. UNTIL our family almost missed a fully paid for trip. We were looking at canceling our cruise up until Wednesday before we left on Friday to drive to NOLA to catch the boat on Saturday. I was facing losing that cruise and basically having to buy another, as it was our childrens Christmas Present. I NOW BUY INSURANCE! And travel with a Passport!

You just never know.

Good luck!

The last couple of cruises we have been on at the port talks passengers asked if they should carry their passports with them when they leave the ship and the CD in each case said no. They told them that all they needed was the S&S and a government issued photo id (drivers license).

In any case if you are more comfortable carrying it go ahead but I leave mine in the safe as I have had one stolen. The passport I carry around now has replacement passport stamped on it. There have been cases noted on CC where people have had to fly home without a passport and it really was not that big of a deal. Remember homeland security has already ran your name through security checks from the ships manifest. Also there are thousands of cruise passengers sailing everyday with just a birth certificate.

I think even with a passport the bigger pain would be finding a flight that could get you home in a timely manner from some of the ports.

So has the date been moved to 2009? I'm confused!

There has been no movement in the date... that's just rumor.

Starting Feb 1 2008, you could apply for the cruise and walk card that is not a passport, but allows you to visit caribbean, mexico, and Canada by land and water. it's about $62 instead of $97 for a passport.

For air travel starting Feb 1 2008, every citizen regardless of age, including newborns, will beed a passport.

Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion.

For air travel the requirement for a passport began in Jan 2007 - but people were still allowed to travel between Mexico, Caribbean and Canada with just an ID and BC. The date has been pushed forward (hope I'm saying that correctly) several times. The latest information on the State Department site states SUMMER 2009 - BUT - we all know how that changes. There was a posting a while back where someone posted a news article about a Senator (or someone political) who slipped a clause into a bill that would extend that timeframe to 2009 (I think June) but nothing has appeared on the State Department Website - which by the way - still doesn't give a solid date for Summer this year either.

Starting Feb 1st you can apply for a PASSCARD. You apply the same as you do for a passport but the cost is less and it will allow you to travel by land and sea in North America. Cruiseline still stresses that you should have a passport in case you need to fly home in an emergency. I guess you could always fly to a border town and then drive over the border and catch another flight (a lot of hassle). I can see the cruise insurance companies requiring passports as the clients part in the contract - as this could be a nightmare to accomplish.

That said - as of today the date is in limbo. If you are traveling in the next couple months you are safe with an ID and BC. If you are traveling this summer you may want to get the PASSCARD as a minimum. My understanding is you can carry both a PASSCARD and a Passport and they will even combine the fees - so you only pay one processing fee for both if you order at the same time. They are making this rule so that frequent travelers can utilize whichever is easier for the situation.

I hope this clears some things up. Now to see if this will post

We traveled last July and had applied for passports but with the backlog, 4 of us didn't get them. We brought our birth certificates with no problem and got our passports in the mail about 2 weeks AFTER our cruise!!

Anyway, we now all have passports for our next cruise in April and I think it's easier (especially as I know we will be cruising again in the future and you know that one of these days you're going to need a passport for sailing)!!

We traveled last July and had applied for passports but with the backlog, 4 of us didn't get them. We brought our birth certificates with no problem and got our passports in the mail about 2 weeks AFTER our cruise!!

Anyway, we now all have passports for our next cruise in April and I think it's easier (especially as I know we will be cruising again in the future and you know that one of these days you're going to need a passport for sailing)!!

If you apply for the "pass card" in the future it will be cheaper and thats all that is need for sailing in the Caribbean.........

We bit the bullet last year and got our passports. If you have no passport, your options can be limited in some ways. If we see a cruise deal for, let's say the Greek Isles and get a wild hair, we'll be good to go. It's hard to get them in time and afford them when you are down to the wire on a cruise so we just decided to get them before we need them. I do not trust the government times lines at all, and this way we never have to worry about it. Yes, at $100.00 (ours were $97 plus photos when we got them, but the rumor mll says that price is changing too!) a pop, they get expensive for large families, but you don't have to do them all at once either. In fact, if you stagger when you get them it will stagger when they need to be updated too, because I noticed that kids passports are not good for as long as adults, I want to say 5 years, but I wouldn't swear to that. Just put away a few bucks each month and before you know it, you'll have passports all around! That's what worked for us anyway.

I just read the above and the homepage information that was up today and best I can figure is don't nobody know nothing about nothing about no dates in regards to passports. Probably should just lock this thread up as it looks like it's going nowhere fast since don't nobody really know anything about nothing to know about.

Just get your passport..... that day is coming.

The last couple of cruises we have been on at the port talks passengers asked if they should carry their passports with them when they leave the ship and the CD in each case said no. They told them that all they needed was the S&S and a government issued photo id (drivers license).

In any case if you are more comfortable carrying it go ahead but I leave mine in the safe as I have had one stolen. The passport I carry around now has replacement passport stamped on it. There have been cases noted on CC where people have had to fly home without a passport and it really was not that big of a deal. Remember homeland security has already ran your name through security checks from the ships manifest. Also there are thousands of cruise passengers sailing everyday with just a birth certificate.

I think even with a passport the bigger pain would be finding a flight that could get you home in a timely manner from some of the ports.

Vinnie, I cant argue with this, (who in their right mind would argue with a guy named Vinnie?)

I leave my passport in the safe as well. But If I get a call and must go, I can. When we go through Govt lines of Immigration etc. I bet you and I get through a little quicker than the BC & ID crowd will. To me its just safer to have it and be prepared when the "required" day gets here.

Same thing happened to our DD, and DS last year. But now we dont have to worry for the next 10 yrs. Luckily we could go Downtown and get Cert. BC's for them as we sent the others with the PP app.s

I just read the above and the homepage information that was up today and best I can figure is don't nobody know nothing about nothing about no dates in regards to passports. Probably should just lock this thread up as it looks like it's going nowhere fast since don't nobody really know anything about nothing to know about.

Just get your passport..... that day is coming.

NOW this makes more sense than anything I've heard on the subject.;)

Granted if your going on your first and not sure if you will like it...........

WAIT! Who in their right mind dont like cruising?:p :eek:

When we were booking our cruise earlier this month, we asked our PVP whether or not we needed passports for our cruise, which is in late May. He told us no, and assured us several times that you don't need to have passports until June 1st. However, since our cruise is from May 26-May 31, we have decided not to take any chances, and are getting our passports.:o

If you're planning to travel in the future, go ahead and get passports. Soon they will be required for all travel and I really doubt they will get any cheaper.

I travel to Mexico by car a lot and they are already telling us that we will need a passport to reenter soon ( it use to be a simple verbal declaration that you are a US citizen, now it's a valid drivers license but by the end of summer it will be a passport). Air and Sea can't be far behind.

The State Dept website references the DHS website (State issues the passport, DHS determines where and when they are used). DHS website says

Re: Dates

They (DHS) were intending to implement the last phase of the WHTI in mid 2008, but in December 2007, Congress pushed back the implementation date to no earlier than June 2009.

Passport Requirement

The WHTI originally would require passports for any border crossing; through comment and changes, and various phased-in implementation it has changed to:

Air: All international air travel requires passports now

Sea: RT cruises from the US will only need a BC and ID for US citizens. That is what is in effect now, AS WELL AS after the final phase of the WHTI (Whenever that may be)

Land: Currently requires a BC and ID; will require either a Passport or Passcard after final phase of the WHTI (Currently scheduled for June 2009 or later) There are a few exceptions noted, but they probably don't apply to anyone on this board.

DHS

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/

Archived