Passports needed--yes or no?

tracyg13

I applied for my passport today for our March 14th cruise. My first passport expired. I was told by postal personnel the wait is now 4-6 weeks, but most applicants are receiving their passports in 2 weeks time.

The new passport card takes effect on Friday with slightly increased rates over the standard passport.

Here is the federal government's press release which includes the June 2009 date - -

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1200669485238.shtm

Here is the part:

...the final WHTI requirements upon full implementation in June 2009.

U.S. citizens may begin applying in advance for the new U.S. Passport Card on Feb. 1, 2008, in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. The U.S. Department of State expects that cards will be available and mailed to applicants in spring 2008.

Although DHS was on schedule to begin implementation of the new requirements as early as summer 2008, the fiscal year 2008 Appropriations Bill passed by Congress last month restricts the department from implementing these new requirements until June 2009.

When I booked my cruise two weeks ago, my PVP was also aware of the changes and the welcome abord email sent to me included the new date. I have noticed though that CArnival needs to update their FAQ's on their site.

I was watching our local news today, and they were reporting that the prices of passports are increasing. I didn't catch all of it, but I think it was this Friday. For those that are looking to getting passports this may be something that you want to take into consideration!...happy travels! :p :p

Increase in the price of a passport? I guess business has been real sloooooow lately so they need to make it up with price increase. Same as gas usage. I like the "whenever that may be" part. Sounds like our government response to a serious situation. I personally think they should have implimented an immediate passport requirement the day after 9/11 for incomeing and outgoing persons in the USA.

I applied for my passport today for our March 14th cruise. My first passport expired. I was told by postal personnel the wait is now 4-6 weeks, but most applicants are receiving their passports in 2 weeks time.

The new passport card takes effect on Friday with slightly increased rates over the standard passport.

The passport card is suppose to be half the price of a standard passport. Unless something changed in the last couple of weeks.

Here's a dumb question: If the card is accepted the same as a regular passport why would you pay double for a regular passport? Is the card only good when traveling to Mexico and Canada? What about the Bahamas,etc?

I got my PP when I went to Costa Rica, and was extremely dissapointed that they didnt "stamp" my first page when I came home! (No they dont have a stamp....grrrrrrr) Kinda cool when you get it....makes you feel glad that you have....! Makes me want to fill up the pages so I HAVE to get a new one before 10 years!

I think it is wise to get it...and get the "real deal" just because you just never know when you'll need it! I think the longer you wait the more you will lose if you keep procrastinating! Dont think your saving 10 bux a cruise without one...think how much you'll lose if you dont have one when it all of a sudden becomes mandatory and you cant cruise.....just my two cents!

Here's a dumb question: If the card is accepted the same as a regular passport why would you pay double for a regular passport? Is the card only good when traveling to Mexico and Canada? What about the Bahamas,etc?

It's not the same as a regular passport. You cannot use it to travel by air or outside of the Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Bermuda areas.

So, if you want to do a med cruise, you would need a regular passport.

The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.

Judy

Just reported in the news today by AP (see Yahoo news) New rules for the types of identification U.S. and Canadian citizens must present to cross into the country went into effect Today.

if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['1_FPRNGDJGU-']='&U=13bl20kkb%2fN%3d1_FPRNGDJGU-%2fC%3d619213.12054948.12500301.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4919452';b?P=uvpKJkWTVvpqTHCyQl2hWhAoq59ACkeh9ZUADgy.&T=1dg334a7o%2fX%3d1201796501%2fE%3d8903239%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3138749644%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJwYXNzcG9ydDtnb3Zlcm5tZW50O2lkZW50aXR5O2luZm9ybTtBbWVyaWNhbjtidXNpbmVzczt0ZXJyb3Jpc3Q7UGFzc3BvcnQ7U2FuO2l0O21vbmV5O1NlY3VyaXR5O2NyZWRpdCBjYXJkcztDb2x1bWJpYTtyZWZ1cmxfbmV3c195YWhvb19jb20iIHJlZnVybD0icmVmdXJsX25ld3NfeWFob29fY29tIiB0b3BpY3M9InJlZnVybF9uZXdzX3lhaG9vX2NvbSI-%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dF4519345&U=13bl20kkb%2fN%3d1_FPRNGDJGU-%2fC%3d619213.12054948.12500301.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4919452

...Under the new rules, people will no longer be allowed to simply declare to immigration officers at border crossings that they are citizens.

...those 19 and older will have to show proof of citizenship — a passport, trusted traveler card or a birth certificate and government-issued ID such as a driver's license.

My SO's dd and her family (3 of them) applied for theirs on 1/8/087, it showed up processing on 1/15/08, and 1/31/08 shows as mailed. So 3 weeks & 2 days from when they applied they are being mailed, and 2 weeks & 2 days from when they showed up as processing they are being mailed, whichever way you want to look at it. Pretty quick turnaround time.

I took my dd and ds to apply last Friday, and on Thursday (1/31/08) both applications are already showing up as processing. It says it takes them 7-10 days to show up or be put in their system, but after 6 days they are already processing. Hopefully they will be waiting for us by the time we return from our Feb. 11th cruise.:)

Not only did the fee change, but now when you take a child under 16 in to apply you also have to have both parents there with the child. Before you only had to do that for children under 14.
This correct, but just wanted to point out in checking the new forms available today, they still have the affadavit for an absent parent (one parent can appear with the child). The ages did change from 14 to 16 for needing this affadavit if both parents cannot appear together.

We received our passports in the mail this morning! It only took 3 weeks from start to finish. We had put if off for quite a while and I was so stressed about it, thinking it was so complicated, but it was one of the easiest things I have ever done! Makes me proud to be an American!:D

My SO's dd and her family (3 of them) applied for theirs on 1/8/087, it showed up processing on 1/15/08, and 1/31/08 shows as mailed. So 3 weeks & 2 days from when they applied they are being mailed, and 2 weeks & 2 days from when they showed up as processing they are being mailed, whichever way you want to look at it. Pretty quick turnaround time.

I took my dd and ds to apply last Friday, and on Thursday (1/31/08) both applications are already showing up as processing. It says it takes them 7-10 days to show up or be put in their system, but after 6 days they are already processing. Hopefully they will be waiting for us by the time we return from our Feb. 11th cruise.:)

Back with an update. Took my dd and ds to apply last Friday (Jan. 25th), their apps were shown as processing on the 31st, and today Feb. 2nd, the site shows that they have been mailed and we should receive them on or before the 9th. Wow, that was quick! 8 days non-expedited I'm impressed! Wish ours would have come back that quickly! I'll feel better now having them safely put away before our Feb. 11th trip than wondering if they came or not while we were gone and were being held by the post office with the rest of our mail. One less thing on my mind during vacation! Looks like now is a good time to apply, glad we got it over with!

I would never leave the country without a passport.

A drivers licence does NOT prove you are a citizen of any country.

Yes a passport costs money, but a vacation costs money. You have to think of it as protection.

Needed? probably not, but everyone is more secure when everyone has a passport.

THANK YOU

Archived