Finally Going to OZ! on Mille -Jan 2009

Coadysmom

After plotting different ways to get DH to go on the Panama Canal Cruise, much to my surprise, he hollered at me a couple of nights ago and said, "Hey, this cruise to Australia sounds great!" It didn't take me very long to jump on that and now we're going! Am I EXCITED!!!!!

First Question : We're planning on flying into Sydney on the 4th. The cruise is scheduled to start that day, but in reality, the cruise doesn't leave Sydney Harbour until the next day. Is this cutting it TOO close!

Would love to heasr from an experienced OZ cruiser...

After plotting different ways to get DH to go on the Panama Canal Cruise, much to my surprise, he hollered at me a couple of nights ago and said, "Hey, this cruise to Australia sounds great!" It didn't take me very long to jump on that and now we're going! Am I EXCITED!!!!!

First Question : We're planning on flying into Sydney on the 4th. The cruise is scheduled to start that day, but in reality, the cruise doesn't leave Sydney Harbour until the next day. Is this cutting it TOO close!

Would love to heasr from an experienced OZ cruiser...

What time does the ship sail on Jan 5?

That should dictate when you should plan to arrive. I would NEVER plan to arrive somewhee the day the ship sails. Too many things can go wrong adn you can easily miss the ship.

Maurice

I agree with Maurice. When travelling overseas to cruise, it is best to get there the day before....My flight into LA was 7 hours delayed...If I had been cruising this day, I would have missed the ship!!

Getting into another country the day before, also helps with the jetlag...you don't spend the first couple of days on the ship all out of whack!!

Glad you and your DH are coming downunder!! I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Since the cruise offically starts on the 4th and we don't leave Sydney until the 5th at 2:00, I though that we might be safe by planning to arrive the 4th. If we couldn't get there until the 5th (flights get in early in the morning both days), we'd still be safe.

Am I just doing a lot of wishful thinking here!

I'm leaning towards arriving on the 3rd, but DH thinks that the 4th is safe enough since the ship isn't actually sailing until the next afternoon.

To us it would not just be a matter of being safe relative to when the ship leaves but more importantly doing a few day precruise in Sydney. Sydney is a world class city with a ton to see. Take a show in at the Opera House. IMO

Since the cruise offically starts on the 4th and we don't leave Sydney until the 5th at 2:00, I though that we might be safe by planning to arrive the 4th. If we couldn't get there until the 5th (flights get in early in the morning both days), we'd still be safe.

You might still make the cruise but you also have to make sure your luggage gets there as well. Sod's law - anything that can go wrong, will. You need to have a contingency for everything. Arriving in Sydney a few days early allows for many contingencies as well as giving you time to recover from jet lag and do some sightseeing.

Try and make sure your holiday is as relaxed and pleasurable as possible. Working to a tight schedule is extremely stressful even if nothing does go wrong.

Definite vote for going a few days early, for several reasons:

1. You are going in January - always the potential for delayed flights due to weather. Even if that's not an issue where you live, it could be an issue if your plane is coming from a northern city.

2. You will have to adjust to a major time and date change and if you have bad jet lag, you could ruin the first few days of your cruise

3. The possiblity of lost luggage always exists especially when coming such a long distance

4. Sydney is an amazing city - you will certainly want to enjoy the city and area nearby. On our first trip there, we spent a week in the sydney area and still didn't see everything.

Enough said! You'll be so glad that you are doing this cruise...amazing ports. We leave in 11 days for a similar trip and can't wait to go back to places we've seen and to see new ones.

We just returned from this trip. IMO, it is a must to go at least one if not two days ahead. Our flight from Chicago to SF was half empty because people missed connections due to weather. We had almost three full days in Sydney and I sill could have done more.

Also consider - unless your itinerary is different, you will have a day in Melbourne, a day in Tasmania and the rest of the cruise is in New Zealand. If you are spending all the time and money to go over, take one extra day to see the sights and not have to panic about timing.

Happy planning and bon voyage - you will love it!

Couldn't agree with all the previous posts any more.

We had an awful experience a couple of years ago when our plane blew an engine on route to Bangkok via sydney. We ended up losing a whole day waiting for a plane to replace ours. There were so many on board who had missed the start of tours in Bangkok and other countries as well.

I may live in Melbourne but Sydney is so beautiful you could never have enough time to see the sights.

Hi Coadysmom,

Since we are going to be on the same cruise - I have to say, COME EARLY! The ship will be docked across from the Sydney Opera House, so just being on the deck on the evening of the 4th will be amazing to see the lights of the harbour, as well as being able to step off the ship and walk everywhere! Even a taxi ride to other places will be very inexpensive.

I suggest you plan to arrive in Syd on the second (remember we are a day AHEAD of the US, so you will leave on the 31st late at night - if you take Qantas as they leave at around midnight for their Syd flights). Correct me if I am wrong Maurice!!! Anyhow, I am trying to explain that you lose time!!

Also, Jet lag is worse coming from the states, than going to the states. So, that extra time will be for resting, and getting adjusted to the time differences.

You will LOVE sydney, and trust me, you will wish you came earlier than you did.

Feel free to email me and we can chat about it if you need to! My email is in the rollcall!

Take care,

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also going on the Celebrity Feb 1, 2009 cruise but will be taking the cruisetour before starting on the 27th of January. Have never been to Australia and am looking forward to it. Need info about what to pack - any help would be great! Am also worried about the flies in the outback - and how hot it will be in Jan - Feb.

January-February is hot in Australia, but the weather can be changeable in southern states. Just take summer clothes, with layers for cooler weather. January is our summer school holidays.

Where does your cruise tour prior to your 27th January cruise go? If it is north, that is our cyclone season and you could get a lot of rain, with high humidity. We have had a lot of rain this year. In fact it is still flooding in the tropics.

We go north from May each year, when the weather is cooler.

I would recommend you consider spending the time prior in Sydney, as Sydney is magical during January, with its Sydney Festival and Australia Day (26th January) celebrations.

http://www.australiaday.com.au

http://www.sydneyfestival.com.au

http://www.visitnsw.com

• 2 months later...

Archived