Cabin Upgrades--Confused

brainerdgal

I've read about people upgrading themselves or being upgraded to a higher category of cabin. How does a person know whether or not an upgrade is available once a cabin is booked and the down payment made?

Under what circumstances would Celebrity do the upgrading? When does it happen (At final payment? At Boarding?)

We're on the Millie for our August, 2008 cruise to Alaska. Thanks to the advice on these boards, we were able to snag #7208 (aft). IF we have a chance to upgrade to a suite, should we do that or stay in 7208?

Sorry to be so naive, but this will only be our second cruise and I have much to learn!

Thanks!

Well, if you choose to upgrade yourself, then you pay what ever the difference is between the category your are booked in and the higher upgraded category.

IF celebrity upgrades you, then you don't pay. If celebrity upgrades you it is most likely after final payment, when they are re-arranging the ship to sale.

There are upgrades and upsells. Upgrades are when the cruise line changes your cabin to a different category at no cost to you. Those tend to happen more if you book a guarantee rather than picking your own cabin. But, most times, you won't get a huge upgrade---for instance if you book an inside guarantee, chances are you'll get another inside but in a better location on the ship.

Upsells are when you choose to upgrade, at a price. Those you do at check in and see if any cabins are available. Usually, you have to pay the difference between the cabin you purchased and the one you want to upgrade to. Sometimes, they allow an upsell for less.

Seeing you're crusing to Alaska, your chances of either an upgrade or upsell are pretty small. Those cruises are generally sold out.

Some may disagree, but I'd rather have my aft than a small suite (if they want to give me the PH that's another story).

I always have my res marked "Do NOT Upgrade" - and I'm EXACTLY in 7208 on our upcoming cruise on Connie! You will love it, especially in Alaska with your panoramic view of both sides.

Archived