First time cruiser

scooton

My boyfriend and I had been contemplating doing a Carribean cruise sometime in the future. However I've now changed my mind and I think an Alaska cruise would be a good alternative. I'm completely new the cruising and have never done it or researched it before. I've been looking for information all morning and there's so much of it that it's hard to decide!

We would ideally like to in Aug as it is my bf's 30th and it would be a lovely way to celebrate it. I know this is a fairly general thread but if anyone could give me some pointers as to where to start. We're a youngish couple and would be interested in doing a lot of the excursions and trying to see as much as possible.

Also, for anyone that has gone on an alaskan cruise from the UK. Who did you find were best to fly with before joining the cruise??

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

The first priority is - how much time do you have and are you interested in at least 2 weeks with an interior land tour?? OR are you looking at a 7 day round trip with time perhaps spent in BC/Vancouver, Seattle etc.????

I suggest you head to your library- and see what Alaska travel books are available?? Alaska by Cruiseship, may be worth a purchase for you if you can't find it otherwise. Read up specifically on cruising in general on this site. For old time cruisers like me, I take a lot as a given and forget, may not be known to newbies. :)

Alaska has plenty to offer, so once you narrow down the able, you can have a more managable search for planning this.

Thanks BQ.

We have decided that we're definitely doing to go in Aug. Is this a good time to see Alaska?? What will the weather be like??

We'll have two weeks in total (including travel time from Europe) so I don't think we'd have enough time to for an interior land tour. I have no problem flying into Seattle and out of Vancouver (or visa versa). I'd like to see as much as possible in the time we have.

Also, i'd appreciate any recommendations for boats. I've read a lot of reviews but can't seem to decide which one!

You could have time for a 5 day interior Alaska visit which could include Kenai Fjords and Denali Park, if of interest?? I suggest you look at itineraries first and then find cruiseline and ships that fit the best choice.

Do your homework, if you can get a copy of Alaska by Cruiseship, this is very informative. Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are great for destinations/cities. I'm not advocating a lot of purchasing, if a library is available, see what they have.

You could have time for a 5 day interior Alaska visit which could include Kenai Fjords and Denali Park, if of interest?? I suggest you look at itineraries first and then find cruiseline and ships that fit the best choice.

Do your homework, if you can get a copy of Alaska by Cruiseship, this is very informative. Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are great for destinations/cities. I'm not advocating a lot of purchasing, if a library is available, see what they have.

Ok will do.

I'll try get my hands on those books. There seems to be so much info out there it's hard to narrow it down!

There seems to be so much info out there it's hard to narrow it down!

I think you need to start by realizing that there's no such thing as a bad Alaska cruise - some folks here make themselves crazy splitting hairs. I took my Dad on one of the worst ships and itineraries in 2006 and he thought he'd died and gone to heaven. Have a look at the ports and other parts of the itinerary such as glacier, and determine your interest and how they fit. I've posted my photo-reviews at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/ and there are lots more here at CC - that may help you with port and excursion decisions.

I think you need to start by realizing that there's no such thing as a bad Alaska cruise - some folks here make themselves crazy splitting hairs. I took my Dad on one of the worst ships and itineraries in 2006 and he thought he'd died and gone to heaven.
Too funny, Murray! Friends of mine were on Vision in 2007 (their first cruise and first trip to Alaska), and they also thought it was wonderful. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, eh?

Archived