Air France Boarding Requirements

2Hoyas

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can confirm what documentation (from the airline) I need to board our Air France flight from Washington Dulles to Barcelona via CDG. We purchased the tickets online through Expedia and received an electronic "itinerary" from them but no e-ticket. When I called Air France, they said I need an e-ticket to get my boarding pass. When I called Expedia, they said that they don't issue e-tickets for Air France and I will only need my itinerary to get the boarding pass....

It has been very frustrating going back and forth between the two agencies - we had a lot of problems when we booked our ticket initially and then when our outbound flight got cancelled, Expedia sent me a revised itinerary showing our trip originating at CDG without the Dulles - CDG flight or any indication that we needed to rebook it.

At any rate, because of all of the back & forth, I'm looking for confirmation that all I to get a boarding pass is an Expedia itinerary, (my passport) and the Air France record locator. Has anyone else had this same confusion?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We purchased the tickets online through Expedia and received an electronic "itinerary" from them but no e-ticket. When I called Air France, they said I need an e-ticket to get my boarding pass. When I called Expedia, they said that they don't issue e-tickets for Air France and I will only need my itinerary to get the boarding pass....

At any rate, because of all of the back & forth, I'm looking for confirmation that all I to get a boarding pass is an Expedia itinerary, (my passport) and the Air France record locator.

In fact, on every airline that I've held an e-ticket on, the only thing I've needed was my passport - or, for a domestic flight with no photo ID requirement, just a frequent flyer card or a credit card.

E-tickets cause some confusion. You will never see your e-ticket. It's entirely electronic. The most that you will see is a duplicate receipt printed onto paper, or an itinerary recording the e-ticket number. But the e-ticket itself is totally dematerialised.

In fact, on every airline that I've held an e-ticket on, the only thing I've needed was my passport - or, for a domestic flight with no photo ID requirement, just a frequent flyer card or a credit card.

E-tickets cause some confusion. You will never see your e-ticket. It's entirely electronic. The most that you will see is a duplicate receipt printed onto paper, or an itinerary recording the e-ticket number. But the e-ticket itself is totally dematerialised.

?

For domestic US flights unless you are under 16 you MUST have a government issued photo id(normally a state drivers license) or you won't get on the plane. Any passport will of course do as well.

The itinerary is in fact your copy of the e-ticket.

All you need is your passport bring the itinerary along it will speed luggage check in as well.

I got an e-ticket of sorts from (booked direct online) them in addition to the itinerary e-mail. It came from ElectronicTicketing@email.airfrance.fr <ElectronicTicketing@email.airfrance.fr>

Note that I chose the e-ticket option instead of by mail when I booked.

The english portion of the e-mail starts off:

AIR FRANCE is pleased to send you information concerning your trip as well as the itinerary/receipt corresponding to your electronics tickets in the enclosed file.

You can use this itinerary/receipt to print the boarding pass(es) corresponding to your electronics tickets either on the Internet or through a self-service kiosk or airport sales agent.

It has information and links about luggage and liquids.

It also has a PDF attachment, which is the e-ticket. It is titled Memo_Voyage.pdf

It is an "Electronic Ticket Itinerary Receipt" and is on Air France Logo Paper (template) at the top with the booking reference number (which you can use to pull everything up on their website) and then has several lines with all the info on it including baggage allowance (20 Kg) and the "Latest Check in time limit" and our individual ticket numbers.

I got all of this within minutes.

If you did not get this you may need to call again. However, as long as you have your booking reference number, you can log onto their website to print your "boarding card between 30 hours and 30 minutes before the check-in deadline for your flight"

Hope this helps.

Chuck

?

For domestic US flights unless you are under 16 you MUST have a government issued photo id(normally a state drivers license) or you won't get on the plane. Any passport will of course do as well.

You know, some other countries in the world do have domestic flights, and some of those countries don't have a photo ID requirement!
The itinerary is in fact your copy of the e-ticket.
Not necessarily, and in fact technically this is unlikely to be the case for most itineraries that passengers are given. Depending on how you've booked and how your airline or travel agent works, you may have a printed itinerary that has all the expected information on it (dates and times of flights, flight numbers, origin and destination, service information, etc etc) - but no eticket has even been issued, let alone copied to you.

I have long been a customer of a particular travel agent here, with whom I had an arrangement that no matter how far in advance I booked (often a long way to get the cheapo cheapo fares), the ticket would not be paid for or issued until the day before travel.

It obviously follows that if no eticket is in existence, the printed itinerary cannot be a copy of the eticket.

In any event, very many printed itineraries do not show the ticket number, even where an eticket has been issued. Most printed itineraries do not show the fare calculation, which is an integral part of the eticket.

However, for most passengers, none of this matters. The record locator will allow the airline staff to retrieve the ticket and reservation details, so all will be well. But the printed itinerary is not necessarily a copy of the eticket at all.

Archived