Looong Review of Mercury Australia/New Zealand - January 2008

wblevin

CHRISTCHURCH, NZ – Wednesday 1/30 ( 7 am – 6pm )

Christchurch we have decided to do on our own - will head out to the Antarctic Center first thing in the morning - either cab or bus to arrive at opening 9am. Now we all meet on the pier about 8:00. Unfortunately, the bus on the pier does not start running until 9am. No problem, we shall walk outside the terminal and catch the local bus – STOP. We are not allowed to walk on the pier by ourselves. Security was certainly nice enough about it – but very firm. So rather than wait an hour and watch the cruise buses get a jump on us, we decide to hire a cab to take us to the Antarctic Center. He believes the fare will be about $60. We pile in the van and then hit some major traffic (guessing an accident??) that diverts us but we still make it to the center ahead of the buses, but $25 more expensive than anticipated. We opt for a combo ticket for the Center and the Hagglund Antarctic ride. We found the center very interesting. There is an area that you can put on parkas and boots and walk into a room to find out just how cold (and Noisy!) the Antarctic can be. They have a number of little blue penguins (also known as fairy penguins) that are not allowed back into the wild for various reasons. Their habitat was very spectator friendly and you can see them from all different angles, which was very nice. We then proceeded to the Hagglund. This is a two part tank like vehicle. Some of us are in the front, some of us in the back. Make sure you hold on to the straps, at one downhill part, it felt like a roller coaster. We dip into dirty water that goes above the windows and thankfully doesn’t enter the vehicle.

Hint – I think you do better in the front of the Hagglund – the back is noisy and you cannot hear what the driver is saying.

We were very glad to see two $5 buses in the parking lot – we thought we were going to have to walk down the road to the airport for a ride into town. For $5 a person, they drove us to the center of Christchurch and drop us off right by the City Punting.

We were now a bit early for our next major event, so we decided a Punt would fit in perfectly. We bought a combo ticket with the streetcar, and then had a short wait in the drizzle. They loaded us all into a gondola type boat for our punt down the Avon – what a lovely relaxing ride – peaceful and beautiful.

Hint – There are lots of ducks along the river - find a place to buy some bread or such to feed the ducks along the way. Marcy was kind enough to share a bit of her sandwich with us.

Once back on land, I am thrilled to find our Segways have arrived. Originally, we would have preferred to do the segways in Wellington, but they were booked for the day. Then I found them available in Christchurch. I arranged ahead of time with the owner of the company - Graeme - g.g@paradise.net.nz. He couldn't have been more helpful! He has just started doing tours and what a fabulous way to see the gorgeous Garden City! I cannot recommend this company enough!

Segways are super easy to operate, fun to roll around town on and a great way to cover a lot of distance in a relatively short period of time. Graeme and his wife met us with 5 segways at the punting site. Two of us had used segways before - three of us were a bit hesitant, but after about 10 minutes, we were ready to roll and we all had one of the best days of our two week trip! We toured through a bit of the City, through the botanical park and Hagley Park (oh those hydrangeas were gorgeous!), took us to an historic Homestead and we rolled around a good deal of the Canterbury Plains in our two hour tour. If you have never done segways before, New Zealand is the perfect place to start. Guaranteed, you will not be disappointed!

At the end of our tour, we had just enough time to catch a round trip tour on the trolley and Graeme was gracious enough to offer us the scenic view ride back to the ship.

Interesting – when we arrived at the port, they would not allow him into the port – dilemma - we are not allowed to walk either! They actually piled us into a security van and drove us back to the ship.

What a fabulous day in Christchurch!!

Every day was more fabulous than the next. As a note, again we were able to cover more ground via the Segways that most people say they saw on their tours of the City. We were able to go into the areas of the more expensive homes, and take time off to go into historic sites and and view at leisure the botanical gardens. Personally, I think we lucked out getting the Segways for ChristChurch rather than Wellington, as it is level ground and I don't think they would allow you into the Large Botanical areas and Cemetary which are the highlight of Wellington. But you MUST book early enough, because there are only a limited number available.

A comment on the Mercury as a ship. I am not as frequent a traveler as most of the people on the board, so perhaps I didn't have a basis of comparison, but the staff, travel companions, ports, and activities were so good that I really did not even notice any limitations. My group was very involved in the onboard activities, and participated in what seemed like continual trivia contests, dance lessons, and shows that they had available. And personally, I was impressed with the quality of the food, and they did have a menu for vegetarians, which you needed to ask for.

If I had to lodge just one suggestion, for all you coffee drinkers, the coffee in the coffee bar is much better than the restaurant, and was only $2.50. (as are the croissants) It also helped to win, or buy, a travel mug, as the coffee cups are small.

As to the entertainment, the shows by the dancers were great, and there is a pianist that is you liked Liberace, you will like. I presume that he travels on the ship frequently, as does Liz Layton, who was entertaining. Her jokes are clean and dated, but she delivers them well enough to keep you amused. The balance of the entertainers seemed to be a one time deal, so I will not give my review of themBonJovi was in Wellington when we were there, and walking around my coffee shop in the back. I told you coffee is good for you.

Marcy

Every day was more fabulous than the next. As a note, again we were able to cover more ground via the Segways that most people say they saw on their tours of the City. We were able to go into the areas of the more expensive homes, and take time off to go into historic sites and and view at leisure the botanical gardens. Personally, I think we lucked out getting the Segways for ChristChurch rather than Wellington, as it is level ground and I don't think they would allow you into the Large Botanical areas and Cemetary which are the highlight of Wellington. But you MUST book early enough, because there are only a limited number available.

A comment on the Mercury as a ship. I am not as frequent a traveler as most of the people on the board, so perhaps I didn't have a basis of comparison, but the staff, travel companions, ports, and activities were so good that I really did not even notice any limitations. My group was very involved in the onboard activities, and participated in what seemed like continual trivia contests, dance lessons, and shows that they had available. And personally, I was impressed with the quality of the food, and they did have a menu for vegetarians, which you needed to ask for. I will say that having enough luggage tags from the trivia contests to outfit the ship is a bit much...apparently T shirts are not in vogue, and they only rarely gave out visors or mugs. (Yes, I did give them to other passengers after the first two)

If I had to lodge just one suggestion, for all you coffee drinkers, the coffee in the coffee bar is much better than the restaurant, and was only $2.50. (and the croissants are better there too) It also helped to win, or buy, a travel mug, as the coffee cups are small.

As to the entertainment, the shows by the dancers were great, and there is a pianist that is you liked Liberace, you will like. I presume that he travels on the ship frequently, as does Liz Layton, who was entertaining. Her jokes are clean and dated, but she delivers them well enough to keep you amused. The balance of the entertainers seemed to be a one time deal, so I will not give my review of themBonJovi was in Wellington when we were there, and walking around my coffee shop in the back. I told you coffee is good for you.

Marcy

Thanks again Wendy & Marcy:

Interesting observations about Christchurch. We had a tour there and I did not like the antarctic thing. We travel in February, or January in order to get away from the nasty weather we have been having. Also, the booties they make you wear are very slippery and dangerous.

We loved the rest of Christchurch though. We also had a tour to a zoo and finally saw a real live kiwi bird. They are nocturnal, just like the Koalas in Australia.

I do not recall about the pier not allowing you to walk out - or in. This means you cannot even walk into Chalmers.

Johanna - who is looking forward to Wellington and Auckland.

WELLINGTON, NZ – Thursday 1/31 ( 7am – 5pm )

I didn't start my research early enough - unfortunately the segways were totally booked for the day – this is the ideal port for them. We have decided to do this town on our own.

We grabbed a cab going into town and asked to be dropped off in Lambton Quay right by the cable car entrance. This happened to be right across from where the ship buses were parked. We took the historic cable car to the top and walked down past the two observatories and through the botanical gardens on the way down. We pass through the Bolton Street Cemetery where I found one sad family that lost five children in a two week period in the late 1800s. Marcy tagged along on a tour and learned they all died from dysentery :eek: . The gardens were very pretty and it was a nice relaxing walk down the mountainside.

Turns out we were just a bit early for the Rugby players parade. Half the group stayed in town for the parade, the other half of us opted to go back to the ship. ;)

TAURANGA, NZ – Saturday 2/2 – (6:15am – 6 pm )

Tauranga we have a full day private tour booked with Ian of Mount Classic Tours http://www.mctours.co.nz Due to something with the tides, we have lost three hours of our tour here – was originally scheduled to leave at 9 pm L We are still trying to get everything in.

The one and only Sheron is our tour guide for the day (all the cabbies in New Zealand are licensed with their first name and a number after it, i.e. we had Arthur 51 several days before – but this was the only Sheron!) As we pass the Kiwi 360, we are hoping we will have time to visit on the way back. Our first stop today, on our way to Rotorua, is the Agrodome sheep farm and dog show. We had seen a quick sheep shearing when we were at the Koala Park Sanctuary outside of Sydney. This was a nice presentation of all the different kinds of sheep and then they brought in the dogs. Eventually the one sheep was shorn. Personally, I liked the show and thought it was worth seeing.

Hint – watch out for flying milk if you are seated in the front row!

From here, we headed out to Rotorua’s geo thermal hot springs and Te Puai. I thought these were unique and different. Very glad we came out this far. Sheron took us to a quaint Maori (pronounced Mau Ree like the Hawaiian island of Maui with an “R” in it) neighborhood where, as we drive around, you notice steam coming out of the ground in people’s yards! She mentioned that one family actually had a sink hole open up in the middle of his home a number of years ago. I gather then now drill holes in the earth in more desirable places to avoid holes opening up unexpectedly. We entered a Maori church where it looked like their etching of Christ was walking across the water in the bay behind the church – an interesting perspective.

We have a bit of time before the show, so Sheron buys us an ice cream cone (hokey pokey of course :D ) and we walk up to the geo thermal activity area. We pass the kiwi bird house which has been darkened so the nocturnal kiwis think it is night time. One kiwi is right by the glass and puts on a wonderful show of preening himself and pecking for food. We catch the end of a Maori guide’s tour where he discusses the silver ferns of New Zealand and how they make excellent fences – except that they need to be cut back every once in a while as they continue to grow! He also shows everyone how to cut off a leaf from the flax plant and shows how easy it is (??) to make fabric and rope from the plant. Up the hill, we get a nice view of Te Puia spouting, view the bubbling mud pools and sit on some very warm rocks. Honestly, the hot springs didn’t stink as much as I thought they were going it!

Back down at the bottom, we are just in time for the Maori Show. We enjoyed the ½ hour show – very similar to shows from the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii.

From here we head out to the buried city. In the mid 1800s, this Maori village had a hotel that was used by tourists visiting nearby hot springs baths. In 1886, a volcano erupted and buried this town under ash. They have been digging out the city for years. One of the Maori relatives took us on the guided tour and explained where different “houses” had been. Personally, this doesn’t even come close to a Pompeii visit. In my opinion, what is left isn’t really worth seeing. Would have done better catching a zorb by the Agrodome – lol :p .

Now it is time to relax. :cool: The three of us ladies have decided to go for a mud bath and spa experience at Hells Gate – something we experienced for days afterward! We brought our bathing suits just for this occasion. Once in them, we are shown to a large metal vat with dirty muddy water. The men are having a good laugh as we coat ourselves (below the nose) with mud. Twenty minutes or so of this and we get out and shower off the mud in a COLD shower and then are treated to a sulphurous spa. Something we will do once in our lives. We emerge like prunes and shower off and get dressed. At the gift shop, I obtained several plastic bags for our suits.

On the way back to the ship, there was actually enough time to stop at the kiwi 360 and see all the kiwi fruits (one male to 5 or 6 female plants). They kind of grow like grapes! We didn’t get to take the tour, but we did stop in the gift shop for a taste of their wine.

What a great day in Tauranga/Rotorua. We got in everything we wanted to do – except maybe the zorbing – lol. But now is time for a shower (us women just smell a bit sulphuric) and to pack.

After dinner, I pack and take another shower and scrub with a lot of soap. Strange – still smell that Hell’s Gate experience. :eek: The bathing suit is half dry and goes into the suitcase in the plastic bag.

- to be continued – Auckland was great too!!

Good to see your review Wendy. The day you arrived in Sydney was one of the wettest days in January in living memory. We went to a wedding that day and the reception was on a boat called the Glass Island. I took photos of Mercury in dock which you can see here:

Sydney Harbour 19th Jan 2008

I agree with your comment of the cost of eating in and around Circular Quay. Its prime real estate though and the rents are exorbitant. Plus they have a captive audience.

Mochuck - GREAT pics of the ship with the bridge and the opera house! Thanks again for your help in solidifiying what I was going to do while there.

Wendy, can I ask if you used the cruiseline for setting up air travel, or did you do this yourself? I'm trying to arrange a similar cruise next year, but I'm not sure if I want to do air myself or through the cruise company!

RI Cruiser - I always (now "almost" always) book my own airfare. We had originally booked the trip on HAL, then when I tried to get airfare - coach was running $2500 per person - there were no FF miles available (they said they book up a year ahead). I cancelled the trip - too expensive. Then the TA ran a special including cruise, air, tips, and transfers. Brought it wayyy down in price to affordable again. I kept looking - couldn't come close to touching the price the TA gave :) The air was non- upgradable.

All in all, I just wanted to say that this was absolutely a fabulous trip, and the tours that Wendy arranged covered far more ground than most of the on ship tours. I keep cleaning out my pockets and finding various currency. I apparently did not shop enough.

I am looking forward to doing another trip with my companions, who made the trip possible, and wonderful. Thank you guys!

Marcy

As did wblevin, we also got a package with very low (for Australia, New Zealand) air add on. It was 60% lower than we paid 3 years ago and made the trip comparable to a 14 day Caribbean cruise. We also got the transfers and paid gratuities.

We had no choice in the air and are flying United there and Qantas return. It will be fine as long as the weather is okay here and in Chicago on Friday.

We booked ours late in November. There were no similar deals I know of ahead of time.

As for booking our own airfare, it would be been 100% higher and no transfers.

The one and only Sheron is our tour guide for the day (all the cabbies in New Zealand are licensed with their first name and a number after it, i.e. we had Arthur 51 several days before – but this was the only Sheron!)

I will pass on how much you enjoyed your day to Sheron (she is my mother in law).

I will pass on how much you enjoyed your day to Sheron (she is my mother in law).

Thank you Sailingkiwi - Please do - and tell her we said "hello". I am sure she is still laughing about our mud experience. Hope her car doesn't smell as bad as our laundry :eek:

AUCKLAND, NZ – Sunday 2/3 – plane leaves at 7:20 pm

We have white luggage tags that say we should be getting off the ship at 7:15 am. As we arise, my husband notes I really need a shower – the sulpuric smell is still there. My brother noted the same problem with his wife. Another scrub down before breakfast.

We have a private tour with Vera of http://www.exclusivelyAuckland.co.nz We actually were able to get off earlier than planned. Vera and company were waiting for us. Her gentlemen friends whisked up all of our luggage (including carry-ons) and stored them for the day for us. Everyone was worried if we would have enough time for the trip out to the Waitomo Valley to see the caves. We had plenty of time and were so glad we did this tour. Vera winded her way through the city and out into the lovely countryside. At one point we stopped at a little café on the side of the road for coffee, etc. We spent probably about 25 minutes here and still made it in plenty of time for the 11:30 glow worm boat tour.

It was supposed to be a 2.5 hour drive. In reality, it was about that with the stop. We stopped several times for pictures – one huge patriotic kiwi. Arrival at the caves was right on schedule with the ship’s bus tours – ughh. We tried to scooch ahead of them, but we all ended up going down at the same time. We were very glad we did the tour outside of Auckland. It was a lovely end to our vacation.

Right down the road, we then stopped at the Angora rabbit shearing shop. These bunnies are so furry, if they are not shorn, they would die of heat exhaustion. It was fascinating watching them strap the bunny down and shear it.

Right around the corner for the Angora shop, there was an awesome hotel – kind of on the level of Madonna Inn in California. They have several unique hotel rooms for rent – two in an old airplane, several in what appears to be Fodo’s home from Lord of the Rings. It is certainly worth the stop over from either the caves or the bunny shearing.

Back in Auckland, it is only 3:15ish, so we have time to drive to the top of one of the volcanoes for a lovely view of our ship, the harbor and Auckland – AND last chance for a hokey pokey ice cream – wow they are good! We arrive at the airport around 4:30 and meet up with our luggage. After so re-arranging, we get on the very long line to check the luggage and get our boarding tickets. Beyond the security line, there were only a couple of choices for food – Burger King and a nice deli type place that had some traditional NZ pies and a Greek salad – bit tough making the adjustment to not being served in the dining room!

Flight home was a bit bumpy, but uneventful – thank goodness. We slept a bit and got to reflect on what a wonderful trip we had – simply couldn’t have been better! We all loved both countries and wouldn’t hesitate to do it all again at some point in the future.

Hint – NEVER EVER put clothing used in a sulphuric bath into the wash with other clothes! :mad:

Once home, I sorted out the laundry and put in the washing machine. At the last minute, I found my semi dry bathing suit and decided to throw that in with all the whites – just for a rinse. OMG – what a horrible mistake. I think I will have to dispose of some of the clothes! I have put them through 4 separate washes – one with oxiclean and one with baking soda. Then I did a search on the internet. I then bought some of that orange formula stuff – soaked it for 3 hours and then poured more baking soda and washed. Then poured vinegar and washed again – and repeated. Now 8 washes and the clothes still smell – ugghhh:eek: .

I am happy to report now, though a week later, that I no longer smell! :D We are still working on righting our times from jet lag , but I am confident that that will come – more confident of that than that the laundry will smell good again.

As I sit here and watch the snow falling, I wish all of you going a Bon Voyage and a wonderful vacation! :)

Wendy,

Thanks for your wonderful review and information. We're on our way (layover in Honolulu and off to Sydney in the AM). Can't wait to replicate your trip - with positive vibes and excursions with new CC friends.

Here's to good-smelling clothes!!

Wendy,

Thanks for your wonderful review and information. We're on our way (layover in Honolulu and off to Sydney in the AM). Can't wait to replicate your trip - with positive vibes and excursions with new CC friends.

Here's to good-smelling clothes!!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading your review Wendy (with help from Marcy1)

I just returned from the reverse itinerary on Mercury (Auk-Syd Feb 3-17)

We also used Mount Classic in Tauranga/Rotorua. We had Les as our guide. He was FABULOUS! And Ian was at the dock meeting all his tours as they returned. This was definately one of the best tours we did. We included Kiwi360, TePuia, The skyline gondola with luge rides, and ended at the Polynesian Spa for a soak in the hot mineral spring pools. They did have that sulphuric odor...but maybe because it wasn't muddy, we didn't have the lingerring odor problem.

One of the other tours that was a blast was the Beach Duning Adventure in Newcastle. The reverse itinerary goes to Hobart instead of Newcastle I think tho...so you wouldn't have had that one.

The only one we were truly disappointed with was the Ripapa Island and Harbor Wildlife Cruise in Christchurch. The water was just too rough and several people were getting sick with several others green & clutching barf bags. They cut the tour short to head back in so as a result we never saw any of the hectare dolphins we were looking for. Not a pleasant day!

We spent the last NZ day cruising the sounds. Dusky sound was 1st and it was foggy and rainy, but that still made for some dramatic photos. Doubtful sound was 2nd and it had cleared up a bit, and later in the afternoon in Milford Sound, rainy again. We left that last sound & set out for 2 days across the Tasman Sea. The 1st day was VERY rocky. lol...we were afraid to get out of bed & try to walk ALL the way to the bathroom!...lol The 2nd day wasn't as rough, but still a little rocky. Because of the rough waters tho...the captain had announced that they needed to slow the speed down a bit and as a result we arrived in Melbourne about an hour and a half later than scheduled.

Anyway...enough of my babbling...just wanted to thank you & add my 2 cents. I do have a travel blog (not quite finished yet) feel free to pop in & read it!

http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/admin.pl?tweb_UID=happypics&tweb_token=1054734508474295297

Happy travels!

Sheila

Thanks Sheila - have enjoyed reading your blog as well. Sorry you had such a terrible excursion in Christchurch - I had to pick and choose cause I really wanted to see those hectare dolphins too :o Next time :D

I have heard a number of people mention the seas worse from Auckland to Sydney - glad we did the reverse :o Can't stop talking about what a wonderful trip we had! Sounds like yours was awesome too. Thanks for sharing!

I enjoyed reading your review Wendy (with help from Marcy1)

I just returned from the reverse itinerary on Mercury (Auk-Syd Feb 3-17)

We also used Mount Classic in Tauranga/Rotorua. We had Les as our guide. He was FABULOUS! And Ian was at the dock meeting all his tours as they returned. This was definately one of the best tours we did. We included Kiwi360, TePuia, The skyline gondola with luge rides, and ended at the Polynesian Spa for a soak in the hot mineral spring pools. They did have that sulphuric odor...but maybe because it wasn't muddy, we didn't have the lingerring odor problem.

One of the other tours that was a blast was the Beach Duning Adventure in Newcastle. The reverse itinerary goes to Hobart instead of Newcastle I think tho...so you wouldn't have had that one.

The only one we were truly disappointed with was the Ripapa Island and Harbor Wildlife Cruise in Christchurch. The water was just too rough and several people were getting sick with several others green & clutching barf bags. They cut the tour short to head back in so as a result we never saw any of the hectare dolphins we were looking for. Not a pleasant day!

We spent the last NZ day cruising the sounds. Dusky sound was 1st and it was foggy and rainy, but that still made for some dramatic photos. Doubtful sound was 2nd and it had cleared up a bit, and later in the afternoon in Milford Sound, rainy again. We left that last sound & set out for 2 days across the Tasman Sea. The 1st day was VERY rocky. lol...we were afraid to get out of bed & try to walk ALL the way to the bathroom!...lol The 2nd day wasn't as rough, but still a little rocky. Because of the rough waters tho...the captain had announced that they needed to slow the speed down a bit and as a result we arrived in Melbourne about an hour and a half later than scheduled.

Anyway...enough of my babbling...just wanted to thank you & add my 2 cents. I do have a travel blog (not quite finished yet) feel free to pop in & read it!

http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/admin.pl?tweb_UID=happypics&tweb_token=1054734508474295297

Happy travels!

Sheila

Really enjoyed your travel blog. WIll you get to Sydney on it also?

Marilee

Thanks Sheila - have enjoyed reading your blog as well. Sorry you had such a terrible excursion in Christchurch - I had to pick and choose cause I really wanted to see those hectare dolphins too :o Next time :D

I have heard a number of people mention the seas worse from Auckland to Sydney - glad we did the reverse :o Can't stop talking about what a wonderful trip we had! Sounds like yours was awesome too. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting all this good information.

Marilee

I have been trying to send an E-mail to Authors Tours but I keep getting an undeliverable saying:

The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Marilee

Archived