Dining with the Captain

joan24

We just returned from our cruise on CB this morning. We were invited to dine with the Captain. Does anyone know how people are chosen to be invited. I thought maybe because we had the GS and were on our ninth Princess cruise. There were two other couples at our table. One couple was on their first cruise ever and in an oceanview cabin. The other couple had a balcony cabin and this was there second Princess cruise. Is it just the luck of the draw or does Princess have a specific way to chose. Don't get me wrong, we loved our dinner and Captain West kept us all entertained for two and a half hours. Just curious.

Joan

I didn't even realize they are still doing this on Princess, first time I have heard of it in quite a few years. Must be the captain's choice.

I would guess you were chosen because you had booked the GS suite, which is the largest onboard the ship. The other two couples, I have no guess.

We just returned from our cruise on CB this morning. We were invited to dine with the Captain. Does anyone know how people are chosen to be invited. I thought maybe because we had the GS and were on our ninth Princess cruise. There were two other couples at our table. One couple was on their first cruise ever and in an oceanview cabin. The other couple had a balcony cabin and this was there second Princess cruise. Is it just the luck of the draw or does Princess have a specific way to chose. Don't get me wrong, we loved our dinner and Captain West kept us all entertained for two and a half hours. Just curious.

Joan

Joan,

I am just wondering it all the people at your table we "Traditional Diners" or do you have some that we registered as "Anytime Dining". Someone told me once that only Traditional Diners get invited to the Captain's Table - seems like an urban legend to me.

Very interesting!!! I had heard that Princess had done away with this years ago....maybe it's a tradition that they are bringing back?????? Good for you!! In the (very) few times that we have been invited to the Capatin's table (all on HAL) it was a wonderful time!!!!

We all had second seating Traditional Dining. I really don't know if that meant anything or not. We hadn't met before dining with the Captain.

Joan

Thanks Joan. It sounds like you are very fortunate. We were invited on the Captain's Table on Celebrity but I heard it was pretty much a dead practice on Princess so it is nice to hear it still happens every once in a while. You must have smiled at the right person.:)

Hi,

I believe, given the tales of woe and success on the threads, that it may be in fact at the discretion of the "old man."

If the Captain wishes to dine with his pax then I'm certain he, being responsible for all aspects of life onboard, may do as he pleases. I cannot see any rhyme or reason as to how one is chosen to dine with the Captain other than a true melange of classes (accn) and number of cruises. This means would no doubt not show bias or favoritism to any specific pax.

Larry,

I guess the tall leggy blonde definitely leaves us out of the picture (lol).

Ciao for now!!!

My sister and I were on the original Pacific Princess back in 2002 and we were seated at a table for 6 and it happened to be all single women at the table. To our surprise the first formal night there was an extra seat set and after we all sat, in came the ships Doctor. Our waiter and matre'd asked him to join us since we were all women. He came to our table for the 2 formal nights and it was very nice with him there and he also supplied bottles of white and red wine each formal night with us. It was just like the old TV Show "The Love Boat" with Doc at our table! We will never forget this.

Nancy and Linda

Archived