Free parking for handicapped at POM!!

2boys2girls

Hmmm...what about a handicap person getting free parking AND they smuggle booze...double score !!!! :cool:

I'm so glad to see someone who is taking this whole thread with a grain of salt...or should I say, a sense of humor :D

Honestly, all I was doing was trying to get info about POM parking for myself and then passing it along to other people to help them out...

Honestly, all I was doing was trying to get info about POM parking for myself and then passing it along to other people to help them out...

Hey if the port says handicapped parking is free. And you have a handicapped person, plate and cruise docs to prove it then you are all set. Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!

If anyone wants to bitch about it, take it up with the port.

First of all, I just got a reply back from the POM and as long as my mom has her handicapped placard and cruise docs, there is no problem parking in the handicapped section!!

With regard to this remark and some others in this thread, it amazes me how bitter some people can be towards those who have a handicap!! The POM is the one who is offering the free parking...if you have such a problem with it then take it up with them...don't take it out on the handicapped people who are only taking advantage of what is offered!! Why they offer free parking, I have no idea but I'm certainly going to use it...and to those of you who are so upset...next time bring a handicapped person w/you on the cruise and you can park for free too!!!

OK, let me clarify. My post wasn't directed toward you or any other handicapped person that wants to part free at POM. POM offers it. I have NO bitterness towards handicapped people. I do not think there is anything wrong whatsoever with you taking advantage of it because it is offered. If I were in your shoes I would do the same thing. However, when this type of thing is offered, everybody else pays more. You're right, it is a POM thing.

I would have no problem offering free parking for handicapped people in hospitals, doctor's offices, or other necessary services. But a cruise is not one of those circumstances. I expect reasonable accomodations should be made wherever possible. This isn't one of those things. I just don't understand why POM would offer free handicap parking. It's like the brilliant governor of Illinois raising sales taxes and real estate transfer taxes so that seniors can ride free on the public transportation system. Hello, not all seniors are poor, and they were already getting a 60% discount. Some seniors do need free rides due to low income, but many don't. Do I blame a wealthy senior for taking advantage of it? Of course not, but we're all paying more to offer this unnecessary benefit. I view free handicap parking in the same manner.

You can loose an arm in Vietnam, still drive a car, go to the gym to keep your legs strong, and still fix things around your house! There are people that abuse everything including HC parking, take it for granted that people deserve it until someone writes them a ticket or takes it away from them.

OK, let me clarify. My post wasn't directed toward you or any other handicapped person that wants to part free at POM. POM offers it. I have NO bitterness towards handicapped people. I do not think there is anything wrong whatsoever with you taking advantage of it because it is offered. If I were in your shoes I would do the same thing. However, when this type of thing is offered, everybody else pays more. You're right, it is a POM thing.

I would have no problem offering free parking for handicapped people in hospitals, doctor's offices, or other necessary services. But a cruise is not one of those circumstances. I expect reasonable accomodations should be made wherever possible. This isn't one of those things. I just don't understand why POM would offer free handicap parking. It's like the brilliant governor of Illinois raising sales taxes and real estate transfer taxes so that seniors can ride free on the public transportation system. Hello, not all seniors are poor, and they were already getting a 60% discount. Some seniors do need free rides due to low income, but many don't. Do I blame a wealthy senior for taking advantage of it? Of course not, but we're all paying more to offer this unnecessary benefit. I view free handicap parking in the same manner.

Thank you for your response...just for the record, I don't know why they would make the handicapped parking free at the POM and I don't think it SHOULD be free, but with that being said...it is free and my mom is handicapped and going on a cruise and I will park there if available and use the money I saved in parking for something else during the cruise!

Thank you for your response...just for the record, I don't know why they would make the handicapped parking free at the POM and I don't think it SHOULD be free, but with that being said...it is free and my mom is handicapped and going on a cruise and I will park there if available and use the money I saved in parking for something else during the cruise!

You could take the money you saved by not paying for parking and donate it to a handicapped related cause instead of spending it on booze on the cruise.

However, that would probably be too much to expect.

DON

I hope you and your mom have a great cruise!

Most ports only offer free parking to vehicles that have modifications (i.e. ramps, or lifts for scooters/powerchairs/wheelchairs) as those people can't necessarily get to the port by any other way such as taxi, bus or a ride from a friend as their vehicles can't handle carrying the chair or scooter. Miami is a bit rare in making it free with just a placard/plate.

I totally believe that we should make any reasonable accommodation that helps people who are handicapped live a normal life. However, free parking does not fall under this "reasonable accommodation", especially if the handicapped person is being dropped off by someone who is not handicapped.

Also, nobody can deny that there are some (not many but some) handicapped people who feel that society owes them and they take advantage of their handicap.

In this case, the non-handicapped OP is planning to drop off their handicapped passenger and park free in a handicapped parking space, thus denying the space to a handicapped person who is traveling solo and may need the space.

I rest my case.

DON

I agree. If the driver can drop off the handicapped person don't take up the handicapped parking spot.

• 8 months later...

What happens if handicapped spaces are full at POA? Do you still get free parking? They are over 5,000 spaces and only 56 handicapped.

Also perhaps if some understood what is like to be handicapped in our society would realize parking is a small item. When you have to pay for supplies, caregiving and medicines that many times health insurance doesn't cover. May you never find out.

What happens if handicapped spaces are full at POA? Do you still get free parking? They are over 5,000 spaces and only 56 handicapped.

Also perhaps if some understood what is like to be handicapped in our society would realize parking is a small item. When you have to pay for supplies, caregiving and medicines that many times health insurance doesn't cover. May you never find out.

I would make an effort to get there early so it will not be a problem.

The ADA outlines the number of handicapped accessible spaces. Scroll down.

http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm

Thanks you for the parking information handicapped at port of Miami.I feel very silly information could have used many cruise ago.Reference to those people who resent it let them trade places with those who are handicapped and see which is the better deal $$ or mobility.Might sound bitter too but just making a point

I am a little late on this thread but our van has a handicap license plate on it. How does the parking authority know who in the van is handicapped? The only proof we would have is the scars from joint replacement. I do not want to have to argue about it with an attendent. I was under the opinion that the license plate was proof enough. If not , what else will need. Thanks

I am a little late on this thread but our van has a handicap license plate on it. How does the parking authority know who in the van is handicapped? The only proof we would have is the scars from joint replacement. I do not want to have to argue about it with an attendent. I was under the opinion that the license plate was proof enough. If not , what else will need. Thanks

Your plate will suffice.

Here is the email I received on October 31, 2008 in response to my inquiry about handicap parking at the Port of Miami:

Dear Cathy,

There is a short form required to be filled out for free handicapped parking. Please review the following:

The handicapped parking form cannot be emailed, faxed, or no longer mailed to passengers. At this time, the forms can only be received at the Toll Booth when entering or exiting our garages or parking lot. Please remember to bring your placard or proof of handicapped exemption with you. If you are from, in or out of state, you may be required to show you’re driver’s license to the Toll Operator, and the exempt individual must be present in the vehicle when you hand in the form.

When you return from your Cruise please go to the following website to take our Port of Miami Customer Service Survey: http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/customer_service.asp. We would very much appreciate your input on your visit to the Port of Miami.

The Port of Miami prides itself on our customer service and its visitor's safety. If I can help you any further please feel free to contact me at POMservice@miamidade.gov.

Best regards,

Gregory Elden, Customer Service Advocate

Miami-Dade Seaport

Maritime Services Division

1015 N. America Way

305-347-5515 Phone

305-577-6438 Fax

Archived