Babysitting On Board

carfac

Hi:

We are taking our 7 year old on Grand Princess this summer. I am starting to think about times, and with getting up early and all, I am betting she will be pretty tired by 6 PM. I have us set for Late dining, and I am starting to think that might be a bad idea, at least for her.

I am thinking now that maybe I might get her some dinner from the buffet some nights, then try to get her to sleep by 8. But I do NOT want to just leave her in the room while we do dinner- she is just too young.

Is there babysitting available on the ship for things like this?

Most cruise ships do not have babysitting in your cabin. Often they will have a slumber party for the kids all together. They also have evening activites for the kids. Your daugther may surprise you and be awake way beyond her normal bedtime. There is so much always going on she will not want to go to bed!

But I would rather leave any of my young kids at home and then we could really enjoy the cruise and not worry about bed times, eating, and babysitting, etc.!

My daughter has been cruising since she was 5 and I can tell you from experience that bedtimes tend to go out the window when you are on a cruise vacation. That being said, she always seems to get enough sleep and she has a wonderful time. As far as I know Princess does not offer in-room babysitting. The kids club is open every evening from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. though so she would have the option of going there if she doesn't want to sit through a late dinner. Another suggestion might be to switch from late traditional dining to Anytime Dining. We always do the Anytime Dining on Princess as we prefer to control the time we choose each evening for dinner depending on our schedule for that day. I think it works much better when traveling with children.

My daughter is a trooper, but I know her limits. Last year in Madrid and there-abouts, she ate late every night- the Spanish don't even open restaurants until 9 PM. One night, or two, maybe she is OK... but night after night, she'll get grouchy.

I am just trying to make it a good time for ALL of us. And she will get to some dinners- she LOVES formal nights.

That Kids club- that might be good. If she gets tired, can she sleep there?

Often on Princess in the kids program they showed movies in the evenings starting around 8 p.m. so they would turn down the lights and have all the kids gathered around quietly. I didn't notice if any of them were actually sleeping, but it was definitely more peaceful and restful then when activities are going full force earlier in the day.

No in cabin sitting on Princess. The kid's club runs until 10 and then after that, it's a per hour charge until 2am. And yes, you're correct that you cannot leave a child unattended in any cabin for whatever reason. Anyone with a pass key can get into the cabin at any time. Your child could wake up and start wandering the ship all alone. There are just too many bad things that can happen if you leave a child alone in a cabin.

Thanks all for your insights. I see I do have a few options. I am sure with a little of this, and a bit of that, we will be fine.

One more question- these kids programs like movie night. Do you have to reserve them in advance, or can you just show up?

I have done a few cruises, but never with kids so I have never looked into how this is all done!

TIA!

Dave

No reservations are needed during the regular kids club hours which are typically 9 a.m. to Noon, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Your child can come and go freely anytime during these hours. The only time you need to make a reservation is for after hours child care (after 10 p.m.) which is available for a fee.

Archived