Jewel of the Seas - review!

jstducky

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to seeing any pictures of your cruise, the ship, ports, cabins etc. We are hoping that the colors are still brilliant for the 10/8 - 18th. This cruise goes to Bar Harbor, Halifax,Sydney, Quebec City,Saguenay River,St. John's and Portland - can't wait. Did they serve lobster for the Captain's dinner?

We were told that Norm Cosby would be our headline entertainment - would prefer to have had the Drifter's though. Who and how was your cruise director? I heard that Ken Rush would be our CD - don't know anything about him but hope that he is good.

i've heard that ken rush is excellent.

we had jill tasker. she is a brit. she was ok. not great, not horrible. the rest of the cruise activity staff was pretty good though. young and full of energy

our headliner was herb reed and the platters. they were amazing. the celtic tenors were good too!

we had a dish called lobster and shrimp combination. but it wasn't on the captain's dinner night, it was on the second formal night that we had. it was good.

i should have pictures done tomorrow (i hope). thursday at the latest. i'll post a link on this thread.

i am sure you'll see tons of fall foliage. when we were in portland on the drive down to kennebunkport on the maine turnpike we already saw the leaves starting to turn colors. the tour guide said they expect it to be at its peak in 2-3 weeks time, exactly when you're going!

Merion Mom,

For the cabs in Halifax, did you need Canadian money or did they take US $$?

Tex: Sorry about the delay in replying. Had to go to work and make money to pay for our cruises. :) They are very happy to take American cash.

The overall kindness, openness, genuine happiness of ALL the Canadians we encountered in both ports was absolutely amazing. They were all just SO darned nice!

We got the bagpiper serenade when we were *leaving* Halifax. But do you want to know the difference between main-line cruiselines and the luxury lines?

My father cruised from NY up the American coastline, across Canada, and on to Iceland at the same time we were on our Voyager cruise. He was on Radisson. When THEY left Halifax, there was a "symphony of the boats." They actually got a handout with this title and explanation. All of the boats and foghorns in the harbor COORDINATED to play a song of farewell as they left Halifax!

Carol

just a quick note about the "Ride the Rapids" tour in Saint John since a lot of people have asked about it....

before you get off the tour bus at the Rapids they inform you that you will get wet. anything that you don't want to get wet, anything valuable, they suggest you leave in the bus. you will be told to take off your shoes and socks once they dress you for the trip as those would get soaked. i noticed that because of the warning everyone (including me) left their cameras on the bus. fortunately, i had brought and underwater or waterproof camera with me. so i was the only one in our group able to take pictures of the actual ride. that is something that those of you who are considering this excursion might want to think about picking up so that you can take pictures!

just a quick note about the "Ride the Rapids" tour in Saint John since a lot of people have asked about it....

before you get off the tour bus at the Rapids they inform you that you will get wet. anything that you don't want to get wet, anything valuable, they suggest you leave in the bus. you will be told to take off your shoes and socks once they dress you for the trip as those would get soaked. i noticed that because of the warning everyone (including me) left their cameras on the bus. fortunately, i had brought and underwater or waterproof camera with me. so i was the only one in our group able to take pictures of the actual ride. that is something that those of you who are considering this excursion might want to think about picking up so that you can take pictures!

That´s some useful information and actually I already thought if it might be a good idea to take a underwater camera on this trip.

Do I get this right the boat ride is a "barefoot" one?

yep. once they issue you a rainjacket and pants they will tell you that they strongly suggest that you remove your shoes and socks as they will get wet. from the changing area you have to walk down about 50 or so steps down to the dock where the boats are. so you walk barefoot and get into this little jet boat. and they are right, you wouldn't want your shoes and socks with you... the whole floor of the boat probably had about 5 inches of water inside. so i never even let my feet touch the ground. i am assuming that if you had sandals or something that you dont mind getting wet, you should be fine...

just to note... i'm almost done with my pictures. i'll post them here before the end of the day!

at long last, i finally was able to organize my photos and post them online...

unfortunately webshots only allows me to store 240 photos at any one time for free and since i want to keep photos from my trip earlier in the year to the caribbean, i was only able to post about 120 photos of the 320 photos i took....

if you're interested, here you go...

http://community.webshots.com/user/jstducky09

and if you have any questions about anything, i'd be more than happy to try and help you out.

mad...

thanks for the compliments.

unfortunately i'm one of those people who feels like they can't miss anything while on a cruise. so i usually am up when the sun comes up in order to try and take pictures. i come home from a cruise way more tired than when i left...

besides i really have you and globaliser to thank for getting me so excited about Jewel. seeing both of your fabulous pictures of her undocking and going down the Ems river as well as both of your cruise pictures made me so excited to get on the ship!

i only hope you have as a great a time the second time around as i did on the jewel my first time!

jstducky, I just checked out your pictures and they are fabulous!!! I was on this cruise and you pictures turned out about 100 times better than mine. I didn't have the brain power to think to take pictures of the food presentation. I'm glad you got the one of the napkin folded like a tuxedo, too! I went to the picture taking of the Gala Buffet, but it was so crowded that I couldn't get really good pictures. Yours are terrific. Thanks for sharing them all with us!

emilygrace... no problem! thanks for the compliments on the pictures. at first i didn't even notice that the napkins were folded like tuxedos and i was about to put my napkin on my lap when my dad pointed it out to me.

did you see that on the last night, at least in our part of hte dining room... each person at the table had a napkin folded differently? i thought that was pretty clever.

We sail 10/18 on the Jewel doing same itinerary. I have a couple of questions. What time did they do the muster? Our meet and mingle is scheduled in the morning while we are in Bar Harbor. So, few if any are going to it. They (the cc group) are trying to arrange a meeting on our own for about 4:00PM the day we get on the ship.

Do you happen to know if they served muscelege in the Windjammer. That is a really bad spelling, but it is oats, nuts and fruit in a cream which is served cold.

Also, did you happen to notice if they served sugar free desserts in the dinning room?

Also, what night into the cruise was your first formal evening?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Karon

Do you happen to know if they served muscelege in the Windjammer. That is a really bad spelling, but it is oats, nuts and fruit in a cream which is served cold.

thmpsn: do you mean "muesli(x)"?
Also, did you happen to notice if they served sugar free desserts in the dinning room?
RCI takes great pride in their daily sugar-free dessert offerings.

Carol

i'm not sure about the mueslix. yes they did have a selection of sugar free desserts in the dining room and in the windjammer

we had 2 formal nights... the first one was sunday night when we were in bar harbor. the second one was Wednesday night (our only sea day). yours might be different though since you are doing the 10 day cruise and not the 7 day cruise.

and the muster drill if i remember correctly was at 4:15 the day of sailing.

hope this info helps. let me know if you have any other questions!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You for your review of the Jewel, it does sound like a beautiful ship, My wife and I will be traveling with my3 children and my wife's brother, we will be sharing 2 triple ajoining rooms. Do you think there will be enough room as far as closet space? Our trip is an 8 night eastern and we herd that you must dress formal for all diners, is that true? Thank you for your time We do appreciate all the insite you can give. Kevin from Boston!~

Thank You for your review of the Jewel, it does sound like a beautiful ship, My wife and I will be traveling with my3 children and my wife's brother, we will be sharing 2 triple ajoining rooms. Do you think there will be enough room as far as closet space? Our trip is an 8 night eastern and we herd that you must dress formal for all diners, is that true? Thank you for your time We do appreciate all the insite you can give. Kevin from Boston!~

It´s not true that there are only formal nights. Out of 10 days we had three formal and two smart casual. Ther rest was casual.

Archived