passport question

coco6

I'm sailing on the destiny in July and was wondering do I need to take my passport with me off the ship when we port in dominica, st.thomas, antigua, st.kitts and st. lucia?

Also, does anyone know if I could get any spa treatment the day I board the ship, like if I get on the ship at 2:30 could I get a massage by 4:00?

Thanks

Some people prefer to make copies of their passport and take the copies with them to ports just in case something happens. As far as the spa usually the appts for the treatments book up fast ( the first day I got on and asked about the appts and they were booked up) you may be able to get a treatment the same day you board.

I respectfully disagree. I would take the passport off - but not needed in any port that is USA territory. First, I believe in being prepared for the worst. Second, I learned the hard way. If the machines that read your S&S card break down, you can't get on without it. Last year in Costa Maya, we got off for a few hours, silly me thinking "oh we're just going to the shops and the pool, not out of the protected area" and when we tried to re-board, the machines were down. We had to wait about 15 min. for them to come back up so we could get on.:eek:

So, I say take it. It can't hurt. We even bought a waterproof fanny pack for my hubby to carry them in...

what if I miss the ship? I would need my passport right? I just don't know where to carry it. I don't want to bring a fanny pack and I also don't want it stole either. Do you think if I make a copy of it and carry that with me it would be enough? well in the event I miss the ship.

I know for us to get back on, we would have had to have the original passport. On the flip side, it was never requested of us at any time in any port. But, I travel with kids, so I am very cautious about these things.

If you are going in port, I would think that you would want a fanny pack, bag or some kind of lanyard (they make ones that will hold passports and you just wear them under your shirt); if nothing else, someplace to carry money, small purchases etc. I always carry a back pack (with extra sunscreen, bug repellant, towel etc). One case of sun poisoning (got stuck on parasailing platform due to broken boat) was enough.

I also like the waterproof fanny pack - even if you are on the beach, you can take your money, camera etc swimming with you right into the water.

My personal opinion is to always take the passport with you. That is the point after all. You don't need it on the ship. Not taking it with you is like leaving your driver's license at home so you don't lose it while you're driving.

ok then I will take it with me. Does anyone know where I can find one of those waterproof containers that you wear around your neck but its also big enough for a passport to fit in?

I'm on that website right now. I like those hard case's you wear around your neck, I just need to know which one will fit my passport in it. I need to go get the dimensions of my passport..Thanks for the website

Some people prefer to make copies of their passport and take the copies with them to ports just in case something happens. As far as the spa usually the appts for the treatments book up fast ( the first day I got on and asked about the appts and they were booked up) you may be able to get a treatment the same day you board.

I make a copy of each person's passport and driver's lisence, laminate them. Put them all in a small book and place it in my bag that goes with me when I go to ports. This way if something happens I have copies of id with me.

I'm another one that only takes (high resolution color) copies of our passports off the ship. The reason is a simple weighing of probabilities.

The probability of losing a passport - either through negligence enhanced with beverage consumption, or by theft - is much higher than the chance of being left stranded in port.

The copy alone will not allow you to board a plane, but it will be a tremendous help in getting the documentation you need.

First time cruiser here...what do you all think about booking a carnival cruise via cheaptickets.com. I see everyone talk about booking directly through Carnival. I am planning on having them do all the flight arrangements...is this the safest way to go? I am wanting to book a last minute trip...last week in March and am trying to get as much info as possible before booking. We are celebrating our 10 year anniversary and I was hesitant to spend the money but last minute decided we only get to celebrate it once and so we are just gonna DO IT! :) Any help for a first timer is GREATLY appreciated!

I respectfully disagree. I would take the passport off - but not needed in any port that is USA territory. First, I believe in being prepared for the worst. Second, I learned the hard way. If the machines that read your S&S card break down, you can't get on without it. Last year in Costa Maya, we got off for a few hours, silly me thinking "oh we're just going to the shops and the pool, not out of the protected area" and when we tried to re-board, the machines were down. We had to wait about 15 min. for them to come back up so we could get on.:eek:

So, I say take it. It can't hurt. We even bought a waterproof fanny pack for my hubby to carry them in...

If the computers are down, they don't know who is supposed to be on the ship. How does having a passport make any difference? Every foreign person in that port that did not arrive by cruise ship will have a passport. Would they all be allowed to board because they have passports? I'd think the S&S card would carry more weight even with the machines down.

The reason to carry your passport is in case you miss the ship for any reason, [accident, sickness, stupid attack] then you will be in that country illegally the next day. Cruise pax are allowed less than 24 hours in port without a passport, starting when the ship docks.

Dan

Dan

Archived