Fresh off the Conquest- My review

SoonerOne

My first cruise and hubby’s second. This was the best vacation we have ever taken! We would recommend this ship and its itinerary to everyone!

We left Galveston and everything went very smoothly with one exception, FOG!:( It lifted though and we sailed away around 6:30 pm. No problem…..:D

The sea days were immensely relaxing, we explored the ship, the food selections and public areas. My husband was partial to the fish and chips at Sur Mer, he ate there every day at lunch. I loved the Chinese food and had it most days. They changed the menu every day and that was nice.

We had the 8:00 pm seating in the Monet dining room and Maya from Indonesia was our head waiter and Mahendra, also from Indonesia, was her assistant. I have often wondered why so many people mention Carnival staff’s names, but now I know why. These folks go above and beyond the call of duty to make you happy. If you do not like what you ordered, they will whisk it away and bring you something else. Another thing I really liked was the fact that they kept the dinner moving right along. You would finish with your appetizer and shortly your main course would arrive, just like clock work. The food: lobster (to die for), filet mignon (to die for), chicken, turkey, shrimp (to die for), pork, stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, sweet and sour shrimp, oh and did I mention SHRIMP? Yes, it was ALL good. I had never experienced warm chocolate melting cake and now I am a HUGE fan, had to have it every night. And don’t forget about the eggs benedict in the morning, simply delicious…. Kudos to the Carnival chefs!

Jamaica: I didn’t think we would even get off the ship but I am sure glad that we did. We booked an excursion through the ship and it took us to Ochos Rios and the Duns River Falls. We went directly from the ship to an awaiting bus and a wonderful tour guide, Maxine and our driver JBells, ya mon. We drove from Montego Bay to Ochos Rios about an hour and forty minute drive. Maxine, being a native of course, was very knowledgeable and explained about the culture and way of life of the Jamaican people. Very, very informative! The Duns River Falls was a hoot; we didn’t do the climb but enjoyed watching those that did, absolutely beautiful place!

Grand Cayman: Here we did the Atlantis Submarine dive. I think the hubby enjoyed this way more than I did. It was a beautiful day for it and we had a very nice time. We took a lot of photos and headed back to the ship for some leisure time before sailing. I will mention here that one of the most fascinating things to me was observing the magnificent cruise ships in port at the same time as us. It is really something to see when 5 ships are in port!!!! Awesome!

Cozumel: My favorite port of call! Another beautiful day in paradise…..Cozumel was so CLEAN, I was really surprised. Everywhere was spotless, even their restrooms at the terminal. Take your time walking through the terminal. Be sure and take your camera, lots and lots of Kodak moments. Out on the streets, it was hustle and bustle, but everyone moved along, happy and content. My husband bartered with one of the shop keepers and bought me a gorgeous pink topaz ring and matching necklace. We made a really great purchase and it was fun whittling down the price, and in the end, we were extremely happy with our purchases. (Especially me, ;) )

Room steward: Our room steward was Mario from Honduras. He has worked for Carnival for over 12 years and he was fantastic. He was always cleaning and putting the extra special touches on our room and he was very proud of his towel animal creations. Note: I have read here on CC and other sites that the room steward will remove everything from the refrigerators upon request. Not so, Mario said they have strict instructions not to remove anything from the refrigerators. So, be sure and take some kind of cooler, they will be happy to keep it filled with ice.

The Men’s Hairy Chest Competition: I must tell you about this phenomenon……I did not think that this would be all that entertaining, boy was I wrong!!! Thank goodness the hubby had his video camera. What in the world makes men do the things they do? It was one of the most hysterical occurrences that I have ever witnessed and a MUST do, I promise you will BE entertained.

Overall: You MUST do this cruise! From your stateroom to the elegant décor to the scrumptious food and the fabulous itinerary, the Carnival Conquest is a magical world of splendor!!!

I couldn't agree with you more about a cruise onthe Conquest! My first Carnival cruise was on the Conquest and I still to this day think it was our best Carnival cruise -- even with the horrible weather we had! We didn't have a balcony our first cruise, did the last two and won't this time, but it doesn't matter since we're hardly ever in our room -- there's too much to do! I'm so glad you had a fabulous time! I think the Conquest is what got me hooked on Carnival, it's the best ship in my opinion!

I'm counting down to my Conqest vacation!

Thanks for the review! Booked my mum, two sisters and niece for the Oct 26 sailing. I just hope they enjoy it half as much as you!:D

Mark my words, you'll LOVE it!!! My husband was so afraid that I had over analyzed with all my research, but he was WRONG!! It was way more over the top than I had ever anticipated. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them for you if I can.:)

The Conquest was my first and only cruise this past June. Been pining for her every since!! LAUREN......I can't answer for the OP, but when we were there we docked at Punta Lagusta in Coz. I've been wanting to try the Ecstacy. Smaller, but have heard a lot of nice things about it. We want to take the kids and this would give us a nice shorter cruise. Any opinions?

Thanks for the review! We're so excited to travel on the Conquest in May!! One question...which pier did you dock at while in Cozumel?

Good question....there's 2 different docks and we pulled up at the one closest to Senior Frogs and Carlos and Charlies. There was a ship already docked on the other side of the pier, a NCL, I believe. There was also an Ocean Village ship that tendered in. And at the other dock was a RCCL and HAL ships. We were delayed getting out of this port due to late arrivers. Everyone cheered them on!:D

Did you try Sur Mer or the Point? How were the crowds, as far as deck chairs and such? Any must do or see for a First timer? I leave this weekend!!

Sur Mer: See third paragraph of my review.....the crowds, hmmnnn, it was unreal being on a ship of that size with so many guests and crew and yet, it seemed so uncrowded...

Chair hogs, I didn't really notice that being too bad either, the crew was constantly putting out more chairs on the many different levels.

Advice: Get there early, we got there around 9:30 am, parked the car in EZ cruise, shuttled to the terminal and got in line. We were the first group to board. We also took our carry on luggage to our room and our cabin steward kindly let us put it away in the closets even though we were not supposed to go to our rooms until 2:00 pm.

Note: I have read here on CC and other sites that the room steward will remove everything from the refrigerators upon request. Not so, Mario said they have strict instructions not to remove anything from the refrigerators. So, be sure and take some kind of cooler, they will be happy to keep it filled with ice.

Now you have me worried. :(

Im traveling with some one with diabetes who MUST have the use of the refrigerator for meds. We will also be on the Conquest, so we have to shove everything aside? We shouldnt have to get a medical request for the steward to clear space in the refrigator should we? Ill take the stuff out if it has to come out.

PS where did you get the Chinese food for lunch you said you enjoyed? Was it in the buffet or the dining room or the sushi place.

Firefly333: There's a separate place for the Chinese food on the Lido deck, I believe it is called PC Wok, it's located in the main buffet area over to the side, there's also a separate place for hamburgers, hotdogs, chili and all the fixins at the Grill; pizza, calzones and grilled chicken casear salad at the Pizza bar, deli-type sandwiches at Paul's and the fish and chips at Sur Mer (which is located upstairs in the buffet area).

My hubby, 10 mos daughter, and I also just got off Conquest on same cruise. Your fridge is locked when you first board ship and you need to request it be opened from your steward who is usually near your room in the hallway.

We explained to our steward that we needed our fridge for the baby food and juice. We needed a lot of room and he put the bottled water on the counter and cleared out enough for what we needed.

I advise against removing items from the fridge and placing them in hidden places. You could be charged for those items. Your steward checks the contents of your fridge daily and if sees something missing, you may see a charge on your folio. If you need to remove something, let your steward know that you took it out and where you put it and why you did it. You should have no problems. I've heard some stewards will place items in a cupboard, too. They won't take them out of your room I think.

Hope this helps!

Jennie

We will be sailing on the Conquest this Sunday Feb 24th 2008 and are very excited. I sailed on the Conquest back when it let from New Orleans but due to the high waters that year we sailed from Mississippi. Loved the Conquest back then and I am sure it will be great. Thanks again for your review. We are booked in 7341....this time around

Archived