Sloths in Cartagena?

btobey

I've seen several posts on other threads about people who have gone to Cartagena and have gotten to hold a sloth--how does one go about doing this??? Our Panama Canal cruise this spring stops at Cartagena, and I would love the opportunity to see sloths? Are there any particular excursions that I should look for? Other recommendations? Thanks!

I contacted the actual Aviarios sloth santuary (this is the one usually included on the ship excursions and incidentally doesn't usually accept independent tours on ship dates as they are full with the ship excursions) and they do not allow holding or handling of their sloths. I have also contacted both Charlie Soto (okeydokey tours) and Oscar Brown tours and both will include a visit to a family farm where you can hold a sloth. There are both good and bad reviews in various threads on each of those tour operators. At this point my husband and I are leaning toward booking with Charlie's tour for the date in March that we are in Limon.

banditoo, thanks for the response. We will be in Costa Rica, but in Puntarenas, which I believe is quite a distance away from the sloth sanctuary. However, I have some on this board have mentioned experiences with sloths in Cartagena, so that's why I was asking about that port instead.

Also posted this on the Costa Rica board--We were on the Coral Princess and took a tour called "The Best of Cartagena". The man with the sloth followed the tour buses around to the various stops and I was able to connect with him when we had free time to do some shopping. I’m sure you’ll see him if you take a tour. Keep in mind, though, that he is making money with the sloth and probably not treating it very well. Maybe it’s better to just look. I wish I had rather then paid for the photo.

Your ship will be docking on the Pacific side, Puntarenes is located there. The Sloth Sanctuary is on the Caribbean side just south of Limon. It would be a long ride over and back making for a very long day.

Have fun on your cruise!

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Cartagena last Tuesday. As you walk to La Popa Monastary (a must see in my opinion) from the parking area there are various vendors selling their wares. One of these guys had a sloth that you could hold if you paid him something. We were not interested so didn't pursue the costs.

David

I finally figured out how to attach a link to a photo.:) Here's a photo of me and Pepe. I'm sure this is the same sloth you saw. This guy follows the tour buses around to the different stops. A couple of dollars tip was all he wanted but remember poor Pepe probably isn't getting the care he should, as we learned when we visited the Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica. Too late to undo the photo op.:( Wish I had just looked.

Karen

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=18417

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise last evening. We held sloths in Cartagena and Limon Cost Rica. In Cartegena I held Pedro outside the entrance to the old city. I gave the owner 3 dollars. Outside the monastery, my husband held Pepe and we gave the owner 2 dollars. I did feel somewhat unethical about contributing to their captivity though they looked healthy enough and were certainly adorable. In Costa Rica we visited a private farm and while there held a mother sloth and her 22 day old baby. The 3 toed sloths are very docile and as a result quite easily domesticated whereas the 2 toed sloths are apparently less receptive to being domesticated and can be quite vicious. The mother sloth was completely relaxed while I held her and the baby and closed her eyes much as my cats do when I scratched and petted her neck. I'm glad to have had the experience.

Betty, thanks for sharing! I wish we were going to Limon, as I would love to go to the sloth sanctuary, but our stop in Costa Rica is Puntarenas. I will definitely look for the sloths in Cartegena though!

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise and stoped in Cartahena.I saw a sloth at La Popa.The guy wanted $2 for my husband to take a picture of me holding the sloth.We were on a private tour and we were rushing to get ahead of the buses.Later on our guide Dora(great by the way).Saw one at the shopping center we stopped at.She tracked him down for me The guy wanted $5 but I said they only wanted 2 at La Popa so he took $2.It was really cute and cuddled into me Lighter in weight than I expected and very clean.It was a highlight of the cruise.I did not see any in Punteranus or elsewhere so I was glad I took the oportunity when I had it

Archived