Hiring a Tour Guide as You Come Ashore

jas4141

I'd like to hear from cruisers who have hired tour guides as they come off the ship at Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta rather than scheduled, prearranged tours. We'd like to see as much of the area as possible when we dock Mar 4,5 & 6 (Dawn Princess) without being help to a predetermined agenda.

Is there anyone who was particularly good that you would recommend? What is a fair price for the hire for a group of 6 or 8?

Did anyone find Ricardo (an independent tour guide) in Puerto Vallarta? He showed us around a few years ago but we have misplaced his email/phone number. He was efficient, knowledgeable and a lot of fun to be with for 6 1/2 hours.

We did that exclusively on our Radiance Panama Canal crossing with no problems. I get the price (which is usually per person) nailed down, the itinerary understood, check out the vehicle to make sure it is in good running order and a/c works. I also check their fluency in the English language. If in doubt, ask them how much snow they had last year (lol). One thing you do need to do is make sure the person you are dealing with will be your driver and is not a shill who rounds up passengers for a driver around the corner (he'll tell you that they can't park their vehicle close by--you tell them you want to see the vehicle) whose English fluency isn't that good so the actual driver can't negotiate for himself. A tip off might be if they want money up front--like $5 now and pay the rest to the end of the tour.

Tucker in Texas

We just came back from doing the Mexican Rivera a week ago. I was leading a rather large group that we all met here on CC. We wanted to do something a bit different in PV and that was get 20 plus people to LaPalapa for lunch on the beach. So thru a private company called Superior Tours Vallarta.

[url[/url]

We were thrilled that they were able to put together a way to get us to this restaurant then give us a nice tour and shopping afterward. The bus they provided was brand new and very comfortable. We were all extremely impressed. They were extremely Professional and knew so much about Puerto Vallarta and they made it so very easy for us.

Our group which is the Yum Yum Man Worshippers is returning next February to the Oosterdam and will again use this company to set up Beach/Snorkle Day.

• 2 weeks later...

we did this in puerto vallarta, there were 4 of us and we hired the taxi which was a van to take us to the downtown for shopping, then to some lookout areas, then to the beach , and some more scenic places, it was 150$ for 4 hours, he wanted to take us more places but we were pooped, we hired him right when we got off the ship.. outside of the main area,

in mazatlan we hired someone ahead of time who is excellent, i can refer you to him, you would have to email me for his info , but it was 200$ for 4 of us there, we went EVERYWHERE,,, downtown, the old mazatlan, the new, el cid area, golden zone, cliff divers, the cathederal . etc etc, he knows so much about the area, and is wonderful,

email me if you want that info

Lafnvegas, we have been in contact with Superior Tours in Puerto Vallarta for a day tour in the area. They seem to be a friendly and responsive couple. At least I get good vibes from reading their email responses.

Did you do a local tour with them and how was the service, car and language?

Lafnvegas, we have been in contact with Superior Tours in Puerto Vallarta for a day tour in the area. They seem to be a friendly and responsive couple. At least I get good vibes from reading their email responses.

Did you do a local tour with them and how was the service, car and language?

They were fanastic. Languange definitely no problem, both speak great English. They will actually set up what ever you want them to do. I had a large group that wanted to go to La Palapa restaurant then to have a short tour of PV. It worked out perfectly:) We plan to use them next year and have them set up a Full Day private Island Day with a Whale Watch and BBQ. I know of many that have used them and have total confidense in them. All the busses and cars they use are brand new.

Archived