Help me decide...

memphislonghorn

:confused: Hey, fellow cruisers! Its time to book my next cruise, and I need some info to help me decide what itinerary to do. The dates are the same, Oct. 19th, on either the Legend or the Triumph. The cost is virtually the same. But I don't know whether to go to Cayman and Ocho Rios on Triumph or see Belize and Roatan on Legend. I have never visited any of these places. One thing swaying me towards the Triumph is that it docks in Cozumel from 8am to 10pm. I love Coz, and this would let me experience some of the nightlife and restaurants there. But also, there are 3 sea days on Triumph, but only 2 on the Legend. I really can't decide!

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

well, ive never been on either ship, so i'm no help there.

But I say if you love cozumel, then go on that one.

its not often that a ship stays in port the whole day-night..

I say take advantage of it! (especially if its a port you love)

also, the extra time in cozumel almost is like an extra stop.

instead of being in two places for 7 hours each, youll be in cozumel for 14 hrs

plus, If you stick w/ cozumel you know youll have a good time, and wont feel like you missed something. if you go on the belize/rotan cruise, and it doesnt live up to what you like, then you will know what your missing.

hope someone else can help you w/ the ship differences

:confused: Hey, fellow cruisers! Its time to book my next cruise, and I need some info to help me decide what itinerary to do. The dates are the same, Oct. 19th, on either the Legend or the Triumph. The cost is virtually the same. But I don't know whether to go to Cayman and Ocho Rios on Triumph or see Belize and Roatan on Legend. I have never visited any of these places. One thing swaying me towards the Triumph is that it docks in Cozumel from 8am to 10pm. I love Coz, and this would let me experience some of the nightlife and restaurants there. But also, there are 3 sea days on Triumph, but only 2 on the Legend. I really can't decide!

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

...Roatan and Belize. There's a difference in Cozumel at night? We had a great time in Belize cave tubing and did the Dolphin excursion in Roatan. We'll do zip-line on our next stop there. Haven't been to GC yet, not until October, and not sure about Ocho Rios, yet to make it to Jamaica. The Legend is on our 'sooner than later' list just to leave out of TB.

The Legend!!! Roatan island is amazing! beautiful!!!!!! and Belize, well, it's known for Cavetubing, so if I was in your shoes, I would choose the Legend. I've been to every port you mention, and if I have to re-do it again, I''d go to Roatan and Belize.

Plus, my aunt has gone on both ships and the Legend is wayyyyyy better than the Triumph... she said, enjoy!

I went to Cozumel three years ago and did the best snorkeling I have ever done in my life. But, I also loved Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Stingray City at Grand Cayman is a lot of fun, and Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios is one of the best excursions I have ever done in my life. I think you are good to go either way, but I had to tell you about those excursions because I loved them so much.

If the ship itself matters to you, the Legend (2002) is a newer ship than the Triumph (1999). I have not sailed on either of these ships, however, the Legend is a sister ship (Spirit class ship) to the Pride and Miracle which I have sailed on and LOVED both of them.

Here are the particulars of the two ships:

Triumph Class = Triumph (1999)

2758 pax; 1000 staff; GT – 101,353; 893 feet

Spirit Class = Legend (2002)

2124 pax; 930 staff; GT – 85,920; 960 feet

As far as the ports, sounds like you will be going to Coz either way? Great port, which you already know. Haven't been to Ocho Rios or Roatan. Loved Cayman. In Belize, we did a beach break on an island, so never really saw the actual port, but from what I heard, there isn't much there unless you want to do cave tubing, which is very popular but not my cup of tea. So, between Cayman and Belize, I would give the edge to Cayman.

Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these ships. Have a wonderful cruise! :)

I have done both and if I had a chance to go back to one of them, it would be to Cozumel. Had fun on both but to me, Cozumel is worth 2 ports and 3 days at sea. You want exotic and nature? Go to Roatan. Ya wanna have a good time? Ya go to Cozumel. :D

OK, so I guess I'm bored today. Out of curiosity, I looked up the itineraries of both ships.

I know the OP already knows this, but for others who are weighing in:

Both go to Cozumel, but Triumph is there longer: 8am-10pm vs. 10am-6pm

Both go to Grand Cayman.

Triumph goes to Ocho Rios and has 3 sea days.

Legend goes to Belize and Roatan and has 2 sea days.

Wow, that's a toss-up! Good luck with your decision, memphis! :)

If you liked the Victory, the Triumph will be similar, same class ship. I loved the Triumph. Didn't so much like the Miracle, Spirit Class, though others love this class.

It comes down to - do you like sea days??? I rather have ports. That being said, Belize and Roatan are pretty undeveloped compared to Ochos Rios. We got Belize on a day after it had rained a few days. All the cave tubing had been canceled. There is not much else. We did a snorkel and it wasn't well supervised. The water was choppy and we were a pretty good size group with only a couple of guides. Belize doesn't have any natural beaches - not like you can pay a cabbie and say bring me to a beach... Can't comment on Roatan because we haven't been there.

Guess I'd go with the extra sea day and go on the Triumph.

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I will be making my first trip on the Legend starting 3/2 and will post a review soon as I can.

That said, we are going back to the West. Carib. this year; last year it was the Valor. Due to port closing, we were unble to get off in Grand Cayman. But we loved Roatan - basically a "new" port - one ship in at a time kind of thing. It is very undeveloped and has lots of natural hills and jungle - paradise at it's best in my opinion. It is a nature lovers perfect port. Belize is also great for nature lovers, esp. snorkeling - the town though is divided by a fence between what I call the tourist area and the rest. Strikes me as possibly a little risky outside the fence, without a planned tour. It also has an advantage, in my opinion b/c it is English, not Spanish, and since I'm not bi-lingual, it is easier for me.

As for Ocho Rios, I was there 20 years ago and swore that I would never go back. Too poor. Too violent. Too pushy about the braiding hair and sale of marijuana. Too sad with all the nude kids living in cardboard huts. I don't know if it has changed much since then, and without a doubt, the scenery was beautiful - but I just couldn't enjoy myself surrounded with all the poverty. Not to mention the racism - we had rented a condo that came with a cook/maid. My dad was more than willing to give her money to grocery shop for whatever she wanted to cook as we are always up for different food, but she said she couldn't go without him. When asked why, the answer was the grocer would not sell her chicken because she was black; it was reserved for the white tourists. Sorry, but I just can't stomach that.

Don't get me wrong; all three are clearly 3rd world countries, but I saw no cardboard houses and naked kids in Belize or Roatan. In fact in Roatan, we passed some kids getting out of school and they were all in uniforms. Nor did I sense any racism. In both ports they were very kind to tourist and thrilled to have the business. None of the three strike me as true shopping havens such as St. Thomas; so if that is what you are looking for, my guess is Ocho Rios is the most developed.

First trip to Belize it was snorkling @ Goff's Caye, second will be a sea kayak through the mangroves. First trip to Roatan was a trip to Gumbalima to play with the monkeys, second trip will be Tabayana beach for sun and snorkeling. Maybe some day I'll get to do a third - I can't imagine not loving them as we did the first time around!

Archived