All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

Did you guys see RCI has created a new postion Vice- President of new Builds. (They didn't even take resumes from this site!) I am looking forward to the press conference on Genesis next week. See what the have to say. My guess is they are going to "annouce" Central Park, since G1 is getting to the point people have noticed something is up with her design and they can't hide it much longer

Has anyone found any new pictures of construction that have "leaked" out of Turku?

Did you all see they added two more finalists to the Name the ship contest? Mystique of the Seas and Allure of the Seas ? That is the third time that Allure of the Seas has won for those of you keeping score.

Not to turn this into the name the ship chat, as there is already one of those going, but it fits into all things Genesis.

Things to come -

Press conference 04/15/08

More names in the USA Today contest 04/18/08. (Hopefully something good will come out of the last two!)

So far I have been highly disapointed with the names that contest has chosen, none of them seem to be worthy of a ship of like G1 or G2.

Here's a thought, with Sovereign of the Seas being transfered out of the fleet in October, 2008. Maybe they will surprize all of us and name her Sovereign of the Seas II. In the tradition of Queen Mary II, QEII, etc.

After all, Sovereign of the Seas was the fleet's flagship and crown jewel when she was built in 1988. At that time she was the biggest ship cruise ship even built and featured all sorts of design innovations. (anyone see a resemblance here?) She ushered in a new era in crusing and changed the way people think of ship design. (Sovereign was the first ship to feature a Centrum)

What an awesome tribute to the ship that made RCI what it is today by naming G1 after her.

So that is today's crazy idea from the crows nest mateys! Arrgh! (Hey it gives us something to talk about until RCI makes an official announcement or someone finds something leaked on the internet!)

Yes, here is a copy of the press release from the RCI website.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Names Vice President Of Newbuildings

MIAMI - April 9, 2008 - Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today named long-time maritime executive Christer Schoug as the company's vice president of Newbuildings.

In his position, which is new to the company, Schoug will play a key role in the design and construction of new cruise ships within the Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisières de France brands. Schoug will report to Harri Kulovaara, executive vice president of Maritime, and he will work in the company's Newbuildings office in Miami.

"We are very please to have such a well qualified individual join our very experienced team," said Kulovaara. "Christer brings a wealth of experience with him, involving the building and renovation of cruise ferries and cargo ships throughout the world. We look forward to the new perspectives and contributions he will bring to our already successful work in creating the most innovative cruise ship fleet in the world."

Schoug has more than 20 years of experience in the maritime industry, most recently serving as managing director of Stena RoRo AB, a global shipping and ferry company based in Gothenburg, Sweden. Previously, Schoug held a variety of key managerial and executive positions at Scandinavian Ferry Lines, of Helsingborg, Sweden, and Kockum Yards, of Malmo, Sweden. In those positions he was responsible for the construction, renovation and operations of various cargo and cruise ferry ships. Earlier, he served in the Swedish navy, where he was responsible for the maintenance of gas-turbinepowered war ships.

Schoug received a master's degree in naval architecture from Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 1982.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisières de France. The company has a combined total of 37 ships in service and seven under construction. It also offers cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin and South America and New Zealand.

Did you all see they added two more finalists to the Name the ship contest? Mystique of the Seas and Allure of the Seas ? That is the third time that Allure of the Seas has won for those of you keeping score.

They have already named the last finalist. It is a CC poster's hubby whose names were chosen. She posted it on the Name the Genesis ship thread..the last names are Utopia of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas.

perhaps they told her ahead of time so as suggested on the thread to give them time to make arrangements to get to the pre inaugural of Independence in Southhampton.

I am not sure if flights are included in the prize... I think not.

Still not crazy about any of the names but I sure do like your suggestion about Sovereign and the reasons why:)

Yes, here is a copy of the press release from the RCI website.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Names Vice President Of Newbuildings

MIAMI - April 9, 2008 - Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today named long-time maritime executive Christer Schoug as the company's vice president of Newbuildings.

In his position, which is new to the company, Schoug will play a key role in the design and construction of new cruise ships within the Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisières de France brands. Schoug will report to Harri Kulovaara, executive vice president of Maritime, and he will work in the company's Newbuildings office in Miami.

"We are very please to have such a well qualified individual join our very experienced team," said Kulovaara. "Christer brings a wealth of experience with him, involving the building and renovation of cruise ferries and cargo ships throughout the world. We look forward to the new perspectives and contributions he will bring to our already successful work in creating the most innovative cruise ship fleet in the world."

Schoug has more than 20 years of experience in the maritime industry, most recently serving as managing director of Stena RoRo AB, a global shipping and ferry company based in Gothenburg, Sweden. Previously, Schoug held a variety of key managerial and executive positions at Scandinavian Ferry Lines, of Helsingborg, Sweden, and Kockum Yards, of Malmo, Sweden. In those positions he was responsible for the construction, renovation and operations of various cargo and cruise ferry ships. Earlier, he served in the Swedish navy, where he was responsible for the maintenance of gas-turbinepowered war ships.

Schoug received a master's degree in naval architecture from Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 1982.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisières de France. The company has a combined total of 37 ships in service and seven under construction. It also offers cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin and South America and New Zealand.

Ahhhh Harri Kulovaara..I love the sound of his name and I also love his narration on the DVD about the Building of the Voyager. I can't watch that enough times

I am not sure if flights are included in the prize... I think not.

Checked out the contest rules and they do get airfare for two as well as one night hotel stay... glad to see that:D

so what ever happened to Innovation?? I think with all they advertising and the banner onboard they have to name one of the ships Innovation of the Seas..hey maybe we will get partial credit:cool:

I'm glad to see a press conference coming up..hope it's not one of those teasers and they actually tell you something of substance, like here's the name, heres the ships deck layout, and here's a list of all the innovations (there's that word again) that G1 will have.

Well hello all.

Had checked with Emmy this morning on any new news on the Genesis booking opening and she said nothing new but I should come check out this thread.

Well 15 pages later, I've finally reached the end. Some really exciting changes. Thought the walk to the Freedom aft was long, boy this is going to be a bit longer!

Remember when we booked the Freedom and Mom said it's so big and then she had heard how big the Genesis class was going to be, she said I don't see myself sailing on anything that big. But when I said, Mom a bunch of our CC friends are going to book the inaugural "Genesis" didn't take long to change her mind :D

So we just sit and wait for that magic phrase - Bookings will be accepted starting xxxxx......

Susan :)

OK I will admit I am dissapointed I feel like part of the excitment of the new ship has been lost in this name the ship contest. Here are the names from the contest.

"Mosaic of the Seas"

"Coronation of the Seas"

"Oasis of the Seas"

"Allure of the Seas"

"Allure of the Seas"

"Utopia of the Seas"

"Epic of the Seas"

"Amazement of the Seas"

"Mystique of the Seas"

"Allure of the Seas"

"Oasis of the Seas"

"Utopia of the Seas"

So Allure got picked three times, Oasis got picked twice and Utpioa of the Seas got picked twice. What the heck are they thinking!!!!!!???

Yes I am appearenlty a crusty old pirate or something, but Utopia of the Seas sounds like the punch line of a Cheech and Chong Movie. Hey man! Hit the Bong! Were going sailing on the Utopia of the Seas! Maybe they can get Amy Winehouse to be her Godmother!!!!

All I can say is thank goodness it says in the rules:

• SPONSOR IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO USE IN ANY WAY ANY NAME SUGGESTION SUBMITTED IN THE CONTEST, REGARDLESS OF SELECTION AS A POTENTIAL PRIZE WINNER. WINNING DOES NOT GUARANTEE USE OF A NAME SUGGESTION. SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO NAME THE PROJECT GENESIS SHIPS IN ANY WAY, WITHOUT REGARD TO THE CONTEST.

• We can only hope so!!!

• I agree with someone on the name that ship thread that this contest is a farce and they have already picked the name, they are just using the contest to get us addicted to checking the message boards for news 6 times a day!

• I am still thinking that construction web cam is a good idea. Someone e-mail Finland and tell them to get on it!

Just a wee reminder that this Tuesday is the day of the Press Conference where some Genesis details will be revealed :D

If it is stuff we already know I will scream :o I want news not old stuff/leaked stuff/stuff we already know all about and discussed millions of times. So RCCL Miami if you are listening (while being very naughty trying to steal Indy's thunder) you had better make it worth while news :D

Just a wee reminder that this Tuesday is the day of the Press Conference where some Genesis details will be revealed :D

If it is stuff we already know I will scream :o I want news not old stuff/leaked stuff/stuff we already know all about and discussed millions of times. So RCCL Miami if you are listening (while being very naughty trying to steal Indy's thunder) you had better make it worth while news :D

Don't worry, you'll get some new renderings and video. It will be at noon, eastern time Tuesday.:)

That's cool.

So is Genesis supposed to have double sided balconies so there are no inside rooms? If I was going to have a balcony, I would want it facing the ocean, not someone elses cabin! I guess it would be better than a promenade room but I wonder if there will be price variants for the rooms compared to the traditional balcony room?

Ahhh just like I said, inside promenade rooms with balconies!

But like what would you use the balcony for other than ppl watching? Chances are it will be in the shade 99% of the time unless you're the top balcony and the rest of the structure isn't in the way of the sun.

Hello everybody and thanks for visiting the site. The balconies that look inward should be located at "Central Park" which should be open above, below "CP" is the Royal Promenade which should have inward facing staterooms with a window, this should be like in the Voyager and Freedom class. Depending on the location of the ship and the sun some areas of "CP" will have shade. We should get some more information about this next Tuesday - April 15th.

I would book one of those inside balconies just for the novelty of the idea and the uniqueness. You cannot find that on any other crusie line. I have stayed in all types of cabins and just would like to add that one to the list and try it at least once:)

Archived