South America Itinerary

JohnSC

Can someone who has taken this itinerary tell me if US Dollars are accepted at Chilean and Argentinian ports of call. I am thinking mainly of small incidental expenses and local excursions. Thanks for your help.

US dollars are frowned on in Chile.

The Argentinian dollar is pegged to the US dollar, so dollars are accepted. If you figure 3 to 1 (3 Argentinian pesos to the dollar) you won't be far off.

Don't use large bills for incidentals. You will be given change back in local currency.

Can someone who has taken this itinerary tell me if US Dollars are accepted at Chilean and Argentinian ports of call. I am thinking mainly of small incidental expenses and local excursions. Thanks for your help.
It depends. I'd say all excursions relying on ship passengers [ie at the pier] will accept dollars as well as local currency. Anyone dealing on their own account [eg handicraft vendors] will generally know the current value of US$ and accept them, albeit with a margin for their trouble. Obviously anyone who is open to price negotiation will probably accept US$. Stores with fixed prices probably will not accept US$ unless they post a sign that they will. We were in Uruguay for one day, and stopped at a street cafe and asked [before purchase] if we could get beers for US$ - they said sure and quoted a fair price. when we were in the Falklands, admission to the museum was posted in Pounds and US$, and was actually significantly cheaper in US$. Basically, if a significant portion of their business comes from tourists they will probably accept US$; if it is location that caters mainly to locals, probably not.

Again:

CHILE frowns on US dollars. In fact, when locals make bank deposits in Chile in US dollars, there is a surcharge at the larger banks to discourage US currency.

There are some instances where Chileans dealing strictly with tourists (shore excursions, for example) will take US dollars. But any bank surcharge, if applicable, is included in the tour price.

Argentina, as posted, FREELY accepts US dollars. The Argentinian peso is PEGGED to the US dollar exchange rate.

Chile accepts US dollars for the airport fee because the Chilean airport free is for USA TRAVELERS. It is a tit for tat fee-we charge Chileans, they charge us an equal amount. Just walk outside the airport, get away from the strictly touristy places and US dollars are not very well accepted.

I travel to Chile 4 times per year for business and you don't know how many times I am asked "do you have pesos/Chilean???" when I try to pay for a drink or something with US dollars. Sure, they may take my dollars eventually. But sometimes I have paid almost double to pay for something small just because I have US dollars. Toothpaste at a Vina del Mar grocery store in December cost $4.50 US. Same thing at Walmart, USA-about $2.50.

To avoid problems, just exchange some small money on the ship for incidentals (hand crafts, etc). Large purchases in stores are easily handled with a credit card.

I have been on X around the Horn twice. Dinner was at 6 and 8:30PM. Some of the ships even have dinner at 5:30 (HAL I think). I would seriously doubt dinner at 7 and 10PM.

Archived