Pseudo-Spa Day on board a ship

I have not, for several years, splurged on a spa treatment on a cruise. It's not just that the treatments all seem to be a bit overpriced for what you get, but it's that HARD sell that accompanies them that UN-relaxes me at the end of the treatment and makes me feel like I've wasted the money that I did spend.

So here's what I do....first, find the spa shower area (near the fitness center, generally) and do a test run. Take your shower stuff, use the steam room and sauna, and then shower. On another day (usually a sea day for me), I head for the hot tubs with my husband. We enjoy that for awhile, and then I head back to the spa. I take a bag with my shower stuff plus a tube of facial mask, deep conditioner for my hair, cuticle cream, heavy body moisturizer and my favorite salt scrub from Bath and Body Works. For at least two hours I self-pamper, and if the ship offers a day pass to heated lounge chairs or an aromotherapy area or a thalasotherapy pool for around $10, I do that too (with a book in hand to really relax and enjoy if it's a dry area). I'm a wet noodle by the end of all this, and my total out of pocket is not more than $10. But the best part is taking time for ME, which doesn't often get done at home.

Archived