Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We would like to to go to Capilano Bridge, Stanley Park and take the trolley around Vancouver.

Will the seniors have any trouble with these? I would like to know how much there will be to do if walking is a problem since I, too, have trouble with distances.

All public transportation in Vancouver is wheel chair accessible - the shuttle that runs around Stanley Park in the summer isn`t wheel chair accessible but as long as the person can get on the bus and has a folding chair I beleive they will transport you.

The Coast Coal Harbour is about two blocks the other way from the Pan Pacific - it is a newer property - one advantage with the Pan Pacific is that there is an adjacent food court under the Waterfront Hotel - they have an underground passageway - it has a McDonalds for the kids, Tim Horton`s for morning coffee and a Ricki`s - urban diner - a step up from fast food - gonna see if I can find a link for it.

The Coast Hotel will have less eating establishments right close by.

Hopefully Putterdude will be back on line soon from his latest cruise - his DW has MS and often uses a chair/walker to get around so he can give you a much better answer than I can on the accessible issue.

As for the Cap Bridge - the bridge is right by the entrance so you won`t have too much distance to travel and as for Stanley Park - it is a 1000 acre Park - larger than Central Park - and many of the attractions are spread out - most of the shuttle stops in the summer are close to the entrances of the facility.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Will the seniors have any trouble with these? I would like to know how much there will be to do if walking is a problem since I, too, have trouble with distances.

Hi Linda,

I contacted Capilano Bridge and below is the email they sent me about what people with mobility issues could do.

Yes unfortunately the bridge and the west side of the park are not assessible for guests with mobility issues. Due to the bridge being suspended, causing the bridge to sway a little, walking aids are also not permitted on the bridge. For this reason we do offer complimentary admission for guests in wheelchairs and/or requiring walking aids. On the east side of the park (where the entrance is located), all of the paths are paved. We offer history tours on this side of the park, on the hour, every hour preformed by our knowledgeable team members! We have pretty gardens, our story centre, our totem poles, our Kia'palano replica big house with First Nation Artists, the Trading Post gift store, Loggers Grill and Canyon Cafe. There are also some great lookout and photo advantage spots of the canyon, bridge and on clear days the spectacular mountains. Seating and benches are located throughout the park. During the month of August we also have daily entertainment in the form of live music which takes place just outside the Trading Post gift store, on the half hour, every hour beginning at 09:30am. Patio seating is also located at the Logger's Grill and Canyon Cafe.

So the seniors will have to decide if they are going to come to Capilano Bridge. I hope this helps.

You will definately have to use a taxi to get there - Ballantyne is in the industrial part of harbour and in a more secure part of the port - no services close by so if you need pop, sundries etc get them before heading to the ship. I haven`t sail out of Ballantyne but I would expect that porters etc will be available for luggage etc. I picked this up for some posters - make sure that your taxi driver has a permit to go to Ballantyne - there have been reports in the past that some haven`t been able to get in there to pick up or drop off - this might be more of an issue now that Ballantyne only has ships on about three days this year and the taxis won`t want to fork over the $$$ - perhaps some of the other locals can confirm if this is still a problem.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I would probably go with the Tower at Terminal City Club as it is much closer to Canada Place and their is some view potential. The Metropolitan is also a fine hotel and arguably is kind of in the center of things but further from the pier and no views.

I'm looking for 2 nice Vancouver hotels for a family of 5. We are flying in late the night before the cruise and need something by the airport, maybe Hampton Inn quality or nicer. We also need a downtown hotel for night after the cruise comes in before we fly out the next day. I'd like something special for our last night! Any suggestions? I'm having a hard time figuring out which hotels will accommodate us. We'd prefer a suite or at least two connecting rooms. Thanks!

I am not really familiar with suite hotels near the airport but other the Fairmont...the next closest would be the Delta where you could get adjoining rooms. A great suite hotel downtown is the Times Square....in fact left to me I would go directly from the airport to the Times Square then spend some time in Stanley Park the next morning before heading for the ship. Another thought for a downtown suite would be the Delta Suites Hotel or the Rosedale on Robson St.

www.timessquaresuites.com/

http://www.deltahotels.com/en/hotels/british-columbia/delta-vancouver-suites/

http://www.deltahotels.com/en/hotels/british-columbia/delta-vancouver-airport/

http://www.rosedaleonrobson.com/

I would probably go with the Tower at Terminal City Club as it is much closer to Canada Place and their is some view potential. The Metropolitan is also a fine hotel and arguably is kind of in the center of things but further from the pier and no views.

Thank you! I will look and see what restaurants, pubs, snack stores, etc are by the Tower at Terminal City Club. The rate is about $40 less expensive at the Tower also!

Thank you! I will look and see what restaurants, pubs, snack stores, etc are by the Tower at Terminal City Club. The rate is about $40 less expensive at the Tower also!

About two blocks to the east you will find Harbour Centre Mall which will have some of the things you are looking for, about 4 blocks to the north on either Seymour or Granville St. you will find a large 2 storey London Drugs which will have all that you want...there is a Shoppers Drug Mart also a block closer but LD always is better priced. For dinner you may care to try Aqua Riva but there are a number of restaurants in Gastown to the east on Cordova St. one of my faves is the Water Street Café.

http://www.aquariva.com/

http://www.waterstreetcafevancouver.ca/

Welcome back Putterdude.

Dennis

Thanks, but don't stand to close DW and I both have the Ruby Princess cough and cold which has been lingering for a week now. There are times that I don't think that winter cruising is good for your health.:D

Thank you for the info on Terminal City.

Unfortunately, I made some calls and I'm in a quandry and would like an opinion or two. Please do not flame me for this post. :o My husband smokes. We need a room that is smoking because the night before we cruise is not only our wedding anniversary but also, I like my husband to be as comfortable as I am. I have a LONG list of hotels in BC that are non-smoking. I have a short list of hotels that offer smoking rooms and after some calls yesterday afternoon, I had to delete some of those. The clerks at those hotels, btw, were incredibly nice and one even went out of her way to give me the names of other hotels she thought may offer smoking rooms! Having said that.. I'm down to the following options...

Fairmont Pacific Rim ~ $379 per night

Fairmont Waterfront ~ $329 per night

Four Seasons ~ don't ask per night

Hyatt Regency Vancouver ~ $280 per night

The Terminal City Club is no longer offering smoking rooms. The Metropolitan Hotel is my best bet at $229 per night but you are NOT guaranteed a smoking room and will not know until the DAY of your arrival ~ which will not work for us.

We are flying to Seattle... visiting relatives... enjoying the downtown area... taking the Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver.. and planning to spend a day and night enjoying Vancouver... no car and we don't want a car... and we want to enjoy the area around Vancouver ~ waterfront, walking distance to restaurants, etc.

Anyone know of any other options...

OR

Would you recommend I book now and be glad we have a smoking room (even with these rates) or book closer to last minute for a better rate?? We will be there in September.

Thank you for any replies. Sorry to be a pain but I am a planaholic and I also want my husband happy as I am... which means a must for a smoking room.... but these hotels seem overpriced to me. :confused:

I still smoke the occasional cigar on the golf course so no flames from me. The Faimonts are wonderful hotels; the Waterfront is directly across the street from Canada Place and they will take your luggage across the street to the luggage porters for you. You will have some wonderful views there. The Pacific Rim is just a smidgen west of Canada Place, was opened just in time for last year's Olympics and you again will have some wonderful views there. The Hyatt Regency is a great hotel, I have lost track of time...probably 35 years old, has always been kept current, had a total re-do just before the Olympics, I have stayed there within the year and frankly it is where I would stay. The Hyatt is at what I call "centre ice" in Vancouver...you can walk to everywhere, public transportation is at your front door, lots of restaurants close by, you can walk to Canada Place if you can handle your own luggage, otherwise it would be less then a $10 cab ride including tip.

Hi Putterdude,

I posted an question seeking advice on the bottom of page 125. When you are feeling better could you please look at it and tell me what you think? Thanks so much!

Edited by Poohx2
misspelled word

Hi Putterdude,

I posted an question seeking advice on the bottom of page 125. When you are feeling better could you please look at it and tell me what you think? Thanks so much!

I have looked at your post and I think most of your questions have been answered except that relating to access to transit. Clearly the Pan Pacific wins...the Coast Coal Harbour isn't really on any transit routes so you will be walking or cabbing it. If you are looking for a hotel that is accessible to almost all transit then I would look at the Hyatt Regency which will also save you some serious money but you do give up the views that the Pan Pacific enjoys, the cab fare from the Hyatt to Canada place wouldn't run $10 incl tip.

If I/we have missed something...please come back.