Diving

jgperegrine

I am going on the Valor on June 8, which stops at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Belize. I am planning to dive at two of the stops. Can anyone recommend which are the two best places to dive on that itinarary? I will be diving with my daughter who tends to get sick if there is along ride to the dive site, or when it is rough during surface time.

We are going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Ochos Rios and Haiti. We are diving in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I would say Grand Cayman (for sure), diving there is supposed to be spectacular.. I have done a lot of reading on the dive boards here and on another dive site I frequent. The majority of the divers say Jamaica does not have very good diving.

here is a link to the dive board, lots of good info there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

I am going on the Valor on June 8, which stops at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Belize. I am planning to dive at two of the stops. Can anyone recommend which are the two best places to dive on that itinarary? I will be diving with my daughter who tends to get sick if there is along ride to the dive site, or when it is rough during surface time.

I have never done Grand Cayman, but I recommend Roatan and Cozumel.

Someone suggested the Blue Hole in Belize and while that place is amazing, I do not suggest going from the cruise ship. It is a very long way out there. I would really be concerned about the time issue.

My favorite place to dive is Roatan, but Cozumel is a close second. We use Los Rocas in Roatan (run by italians) and Aqua Safari in Cozumel. Both places have web sites and both places will work with you regarding when you ship docks and leaves.

Los Rocas will come get you in a van. It is about a 20 min drive. It is a very small dive resort so even if everyone there wants to go with you, the group will still be small.

Aqua Safari is about 2 blocks up from the downtown cruise pier. They use the pier right across the shop to leave from.

All the places on you itinerary are considered top spots. I like Cozumel the best for many reasons. I am not a fan of Grand Cayman. As mentioned both Belize and Roatan take a while to reach but are well worth it.

Depending on your skills and if you can find someone to take you, there are several dives off the beaten path in Cozumel and is the reason that I think Cozumel is the best. My second favorite where you will be is the Blue hole.

June is a great time to dive anywhere in the Caribbean and you will have a good time where ever you choose to dive. I might add that we cruise a lot and we NEVER book a dive from the ship. Every place you mentioned, will have a dive shop within walking distance from the ship or they will pick you up. We always go to NAUI or PADI website and read the reviews of the dive shops and either book online or by phone. You will save as much as 30% if you shop and book yourself.

Any of those ports but Belize. Cozumel for sure. Do not dive with the ship unless you like cattle boat diving. The logistics in Belize make diving with the ship the best option. You do not go to the best dive spots and many of the divers are inexperienced and dangerous. Grand Cayman is great too! Just remember because of time constraints you don't always go to the best spots.

Archived