NYC - Limo - Cab - Cars?

amypete

I have learned a lot reading about NYC, so that you in advance for all of that - and I know this is a silly question but let me lay out the background (from this Nebraska girl who lives in a relatively simple place!)

We are flying into LGA on a Saturday in August for a cruise through Princess on Sunday for NE. I chose Saturday because you never know....and at least we would be there ahead of time! We are not staying extra in NYC - some other time - but I just wanted to make sure we weren't late due to delays on Sunday morning - you never know with United flying thru Chicago!

SO, my silly question is - when you say rent a car service - is that from the airport to hotel? Hotel to pier? Pier to airport again? All three?

We won't be pressed for time when we arrive on Saturday night - and the cruise leaves sometime Sunday afternoon, although I don't believe I know which port? If the cruise is in August, when is the best time to make a reservation for the transportation? And I saw on another thread that a Hilton Garden Inn and a few others were recommended. Is there a keyword for location that I should be looking for for the room reservation the night before?

This is for our 25th ann - we were in NYC on our honeymoon many years ago! (I even went to my first Nebraska football game on my honeymoon - in New Jersey! for the first Kickoff Classic!)

You are leaving on Princess probably from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

Do you know where you are staying?

If you are flying into LGA and staying into Manhattan its easiest to take a cab about $35.00. Car services are generally nicer than a cab and charge about the same. You can call one in advance or make reservations on line(http://www.carmellimo.com) has a website with discount coupons.

From the hotel I would use a car service, even though a cab will be cheaper they don't know where the cruise terminal in Brooklyn is take directions with you, as even some limo drivers don't have a clue. Its directly behind the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in Brooklyn. Take the Brooklyn Battery tunnel to Brooklyn take the Hamilton Ave exit ...its right past the tolls and make the first two lefts(yes you are making a uturn) make sure you don't get back into the tunnel and following it straight ahwead make the left at the light and then the first right....

from the cruise terminal to the airport, I call a local car service when I am getting off --- Arecibo(7187836465) they will be there in 10 minutes and are the cheapest way to the airport.

as for hotels I would use price line for the wall street area.

Thank you so much that helps alot - I haven't decided where we were going to stay as it is for a "bed" not for a stay in NYC - but I would still like it to be a little special as we won't have ANY of our kiddos with us (we had 6 so you can imagine what it is like to not have ANY with as - as we speak, ds #3, and child #5 is downstairs in the basement banging to some old rock song on his drumset....

So - we should take a taxi from LGA to hotel and arrange for car from hotel to pier. If our plane leaves again at 2 pm on the 31st, should we arrange for the car again to pick us up from the pier when we return?

And I will investigate hotels near Wall Street - is that correct? Thanks again - I am reading about ALL kinds of hotels but you read so much it gets overwhelming - and I don't mind making my own reservations! So that helps clear up the muddy waters!:rolleyes:

You will have plenty of time on the 21 to make a 2 pm plane. A yellow cab will be the least expensive followed by Arecibo, a regular car service you make a reservation will cost more and the ones Princess supplies by the pier will be twice as much or close to it.

Sorry - just saw that it is perfectly fine to call after we get to the pier at the return of the cruise. Thanks for your help!

Amy, what we do is call the car service a week in advance to make reservations, it doesn't cost anything. The dispatcher will take down your information, then tell you to call the day of, to reconfirm. Then you call again to tell then you are departing the ship, and they dispatch a driver in the vicinity to pick you up. Same applies to airport pickups.

If you choose to use a cab, make sure it is a yellow medallion cab, especially when you are leaving the airport, these are regulated by the city. . . Look for the cab stand, and there will be a dispatcher there. Don't leave with a "car service" unless you called them yourself. Every once in awhile a driver in a towncar will show up as a "car service" but they are not regulated and licensed to do business at the airports. Some even try to rip off tourists by charging outrageous fares.

Did you see the thread "New York for the First Timer". . .? Search for it. . .there are pages of wonderful advice on that thread.

Great advice! And I think us midwesterners need to think we are in NY for the first time almost every time we show up! DH went last year with DD for a NYY game so he is a bit familiar with the area and remembers directions better than I - we were looking at a map last night and he remembered where we walked to on our honeymoon many years ago (we did stay at the Algonquin, I remember that!)

Great advice! And I think us midwesterners need to think we are in NY for the first time almost every time we show up! DH went last year with DD for a NYY game so he is a bit familiar with the area and remembers directions better than I - we were looking at a map last night and he remembered where we walked to on our honeymoon many years ago (we did stay at the Algonquin, I remember that!)

LGA is the easiest getting a cab from the airport but I always use a car service to get back to the airport. I've switched to Dial 7 and have been using them the past couple of years after be burned by Carmel twice.

Since it IS your 25th Anniversary (congrats!) stay here http://www.hotelonrivington.com/ The Hotel On Rivington (Thor) and stay in and order room service! It is on the Lower East Side and each room has fabulous views!

there is a really nice Marriott I think they call it Marriott Brooklyn Bridge-it is in Brookyln-this should be easy from LGA and then in the morning to the port!! Check it out. This will save the hassle of going into or out of the city (no matter which way you travel-taxi or car service-you will pay the tolls both ways). This hotel may be a bit pricey, but it is your 25th anniversary--and you may be saving those cab fares and tolls--go for it.

We stayed at the Algonquin on our original honeymoon, many moons ago. I looked up on Priceline and it has been refurbished? It is a bit pricey but we deserve it! :p

What do you think? DH thought that sounded nice - and it has meaning since we stayed there before (and I am a book lover, too, although I doubt my favorites are literary classics!)

We stayed at the Algonquin on our original honeymoon, many moons ago. I looked up on Priceline and it has been refurbished? It is a bit pricey but we deserve it! :p

What do you think? DH thought that sounded nice - and it has meaning since we stayed there before (and I am a book lover, too, although I doubt my favorites are literary classics!)

I say, go for it.:D I have never stayed there, but I did eat breakfast there, and it was awesome. I have stayed at the Iroquois, which is a small boutique hotel on the same block. I love the location, it is in the middle of everything, but on a quiet block. Check around for the prices, you might get a deal. Did you try the hotel's website directly? I find many websites have special deals available.

I looked on priceline, orbitz, etc. I thought about calling the hotel as well. DH thinks thats the place to stay!

Thanks!

Try booking directly through the hotel because I have found usually they allow you to cancel without penalty, but some of the booking sites charge you a $25.00 nonrefundable service charge.

Archived