Puerto Montt

Dr.Oz

I have read where gvtours come highly recommended on these board, but I'm wondering is anyone has ever used Carlos at galindotour while in Puerto Montt? If so, what was your experience with him, vehicle, etc. Also, is Montevideo easily done on your own or is a private guide necessary. There doesn't appear to be a lot to see here.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Montevideo is very easy to get around by yourself, if you enjoy a pub atmosphere there is a great Irish pub not too far from the pier...can't really give you good directions but it's right on the main shopping drag. Crew love to go there so you know it's fun! We did an off road trip booked thru Celebrity, don't know much about the other tour company. One thing I will tell you is that this is an awesome trip, have a blast!!

I'm wondering is anyone has ever used Carlos at galindotour while in Puerto Montt? If so, what was your experience with him, vehicle, etc.

We used Carlos in January. We were very pleased with the quality of the tour and the vehicle. Carlos also arranged a guide for us in the Valparaiso-Santiago area and for some other passengers in Punta Arenas. Those arrangements worked very well.

Thanks for your replies. What type of vehicle does he use. There will be six of us and we will need a van. I also asked him about tours in other areas, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I know it's the busy time of year there now though.

What type of vehicle does he use. There will be six of us and we will need a van.

It was a small bus. There were about nine of us on that tour, and there was more than enough room. I don't know whether he always uses the same vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from a round S America cruise.We had arranged a tour with Carlos before leaving Britain, and e-mailed him a few days before arrival in Puerto Montt, with the numbers in our party.There were to be 9 of us.He was waiting for us at the gate and had brought a 26 seater coach. We had a lovely day visiting the Falls, Emerald lake, Puerto Varas, and a suprise visit to a friend's farm with Emus and llamas roaming around with the most beautiful background of the volcano.He also arranged to phone Joanne Duncan in Arica about our visit there, and we had a wonderful day with her. His contact in Punta Arenas was a girl called Scarlet who gave us a tour around the national park. Carlos was most helpful and so were all his contacts.

We used Carlos in January. We were very pleased with the quality of the tour and the vehicle. Carlos also arranged a guide for us in the Valparaiso-Santiago area and for some other passengers in Punta Arenas. Those arrangements worked very well.

Carlos has been very prompt in answering emails - and I like the guy from his replies! I think we may use him in Puerto Montt as he will do the tour personally. I am a bit concerned as his quote for Valparaiso -Santiago is VERY much lower than others I've received and it makes me wonder why? We would like to be picked up at the ship, do highlights of vina Del mar, Valparaiso, and Santiago, plus a winery and then be dropped at the airport. Does this sound like what you did - and may I ask the cost? if you prefer to email I will give you my address.

Many thanks for your insights on this and the Punta Tombo thread too!

Dot

We would like to be picked up at the ship, do highlights of vina Del mar, Valparaiso, and Santiago, plus a winery and then be dropped at the airport. Does this sound like what you did - and may I ask the cost? if you prefer to email I will give you my address.

If you email me at rdowney at mac.com, I'll share the details and costs on our time in Valparaiso and Santiago.

Archived