Oosterdam Cabin SY5001-info or pics pleez

SewBizBeth

We are sailing on 3/8/08, Mexican Riviera. I found out today that we are booked in SY5001, a handicapped cabin at the very front of the ship. We are not handicapped and did not request this room so don't hold that against us! We booked a guaranteed "SZ" room and this is what they gave us. Will there be a lot of rockin & rollin? :confused: (I'll bring more drugs!) It appears the cabin's front deck may be a private domain for us and the passengers in SY5002. Anyone have any info or photos about this room? :confused: (I found one pic of SY5002 with closed curtains.) Beth, Orange County CA

our friends book the front HC cabins and I've been in a few of them. There is a door at the end of the corridor that leads to that front deck--not a lot of people go there, but it is open to the public. There will be a divider to separate it from your deck on the side. The bathrooms normally have one sink, instead of two, without the shelf underneath, and there will possibly be a roll-in shower. There is a lot of rocking and rolling in the front from the wind and waves.

Des

• 2 years later...

How was your experience on the Oosterdam Sy5001? My wife and I booked a guaranteed superior suite - and were given SY5002. We sail on Feb. 5th.

We have concerns because it's a handicapped suite (want to make sure all of the counter space isn't lower - and because of the forward position of the cabin?

We usually book mid-ship - but this was a great deal - and we took the guaranteed level hoping for the best.

We are sailing on 3/8/08, Mexican Riviera. I found out today that we are booked in SY5001, a handicapped cabin at the very front of the ship. Beth, Orange County CA

We had this cabin a few years ago, sorry no pictures. There is a window facing the front of the ship. There is plenty of closet and storage space.

The bath room has two shower areas, one is a roll in for wheel chairs. The balcony has a ramp that goes over the sill so a wheel chair can go out on the balcony.

We hit moderate seas on the way back to San Diego and the wind across the balcony made it unusable. It did rock and roll a bit and we could hear the waves when they hit the hull. The motion at night actually helped me sleep, like rocking in a cradle;).

If you have specific questions I will try to answer them.

How was your experience on the Oosterdam Sy5001? My wife and I booked a guaranteed superior suite - and were given SY5002. We sail on Feb. 5th.

We have concerns because it's a handicapped suite (want to make sure all of the counter space isn't lower - and because of the forward position of the cabin?

We usually book mid-ship - but this was a great deal - and we took the guaranteed level hoping for the best.

I have photos and description of Oosterdam's SY 5001 from October 2010 here: http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/Deck-5.html

SY 5002 is an exact duplicate of SY 5001, just on the other side of the ship. And as you can see from the photos, this has a tub also.

Joanie

Joanie - thank you for your reply!!

just curious - how was the rocking of the boat in the SY5001 cabin?

I've never stayed anywhere but midship - and my wife is a little concerned about boat swaying a lot.

Sounds like you really enjoyed this cabin!

thanks,

Andy

Joanie - thank you for your reply!!

just curious - how was the rocking of the boat in the SY5001 cabin?

I've never stayed anywhere but midship - and my wife is a little concerned about boat swaying a lot.

Sounds like you really enjoyed this cabin!

thanks,

Andy

Andy, that was not my cabin. I maintain a web site of photos of the various HAL staterooms that Cruise Critic Members send me. I post them by ship and deck.

The photos and description of SY 5001 is from October 2010 by Cruise Critic Member: AZWTRLVR.

My staterooms have always been midship and in the aft, never forward.

I have read though that the forward staterooms such as SY 5001 do get a lot of motion. BUT... This can be greatly alleviated by medications and/or Sea Bands.

Wish I could give you first hand info, but...

I did find a short description of VC 5013 on Westerdam that states:

"5013 was great, but it's close to the front of the ship and the motion was very pronounced there. It was my first cruise, so I may have just been more susceptible to motion sickness, but whenever we had people over from other rooms, they commented on the motion. Besides that, we loved our room!! For our room, I took pictures of the bed as a queen and also as twins, which is how my friend and I got them to set it up."

If you go to the Main HAL Staterooms/Cabins Web Site, you can click on the 4 Vista Class ships (Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam) and see what they have to say about the forward staterooms on Decks, 5, 6, 7 and 8. I would look at any stateroom numbered from 5001 to 5020, 6001-6020, 7001-7020 and 8001-8020 on those 4 ships. Here is the link to the Main Index Page: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/ OR here if that site takes to long to load : http://www.abqreunion2008.com/

Joanie

I have been in this room on the Oosterdam, Westerdam and recently, the N. Amsterdam. We LOVE this room. Of course, I am Handicapped and love the extra space for my wheelchair, but here are a few bonuses:

You can close drapes from your bed

The front window is terrific-we watched that way often and while you are in port, the extra deck is great.

Because the ship 'breaks the water' behind this cabin, you will see many animals-flying fish ,turtles, jellys etc. They are trying to get out of the way of the ship.

If the ship is going to rock, it probably won't make much difference where you are.

Great room-enjoy!

We just got back from a panama canal,cruise on the Zuiderdam, which of course is the exact same ship as yours. 5001 was a great room. We also booked SZ guarantee and got 5001. Room is huge and the picture window looking out the front is nice. Balcony is exactly the same as verandah rooms but very adequate. Motion is clearly more in this room than at midship. Wife took patches and had no problem and it just rocked me to sleep. Motion was a non-issue unless seas were 6 feet or so, which they were on one night..8-12 foot but most of our 10 days they were 3-4 or less and the ship is so big those seas are pretty insignificant. You will likley not be able to use the forward deck...door was locked electronically and the only time it was opened was during the panama canal transit. Others on CC told me it's open when in port but I didn't find that so. Its a HC room but not so much so that other would fine it odd, Counters are at normal height, etc. You will get lots of exercise since it is a hike from 5001 to the dining areas...but the vista show room is straight down 3 decks. It was a great room and we loved it...but I'd bring the patches etc if motion bothers you.

Hope this helps. CC has been spot on for me on a bunch of stuff so I am just returning the favor. :)

We are sailing on 3/8/08, Mexican Riviera. I found out today that we are booked in SY5001, a handicapped cabin at the very front of the ship. We are not handicapped and did not request this room so don't hold that against us! We booked a guaranteed "SZ" room and this is what they gave us. Will there be a lot of rockin & rollin? :confused: (I'll bring more drugs!) It appears the cabin's front deck may be a private domain for us and the passengers in SY5002. Anyone have any info or photos about this room? :confused: (I found one pic of SY5002 with closed curtains.) Beth, Orange County CA

On the same sailing and booked the same SZ guarantee... I was excited to finally get a room assignment... but alas, still nada!

I would be pleased with your cabin. I have not had a problem with forward cabins.

the tub is not a jacuzzi. whole bathroom is arranged differently than a std superior verandah suite due to the hc nature of the room. no double sink. a large open area where you could wheel a person in a wheelchair and give them a shower right in the chair. tiled floor with a drain in the floor. this has no utility to you unless you are hc. tub seemed extra deep,too but I took showers anyway. big advantage to this room is space, both in the room and the bath. we also have been cave dwellers so we were excited with our first verandah and a suite, too. also first time on HAL. both the room and the cruise lived up to our expectations and we had a ball, Thought I might complain when I got info on the room on CC since it does not meet the description of what HAL calls a superior verandah suite--sz, sy. or ss. There is no double sink, no jacuzzi, etc as they advertize. And the room is really an oversized verandah room--the verandah being exactly the same size as the other veradah rooms. However, once we got into the room, I was pleased and loved it. Wouldn't have used the jacuzzi anyway. Enjoy.:)

Archived