R/T Hawaii-Calm or Rough Seas?

SoonerOne

Ok, so the hubby and I are thinking of booking the Golden Princess roundtrip to Hawaii (depart Los Angeles) in February 2009 and I've heard different stories about the sea. What was your experience, would you recommend this trip? I'm a little nervous because we've only done one cruise which was Western Caribbean and it was all smooth sailing. I am a newbie and thanks for any advice:)

Well, you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean so anything's possible. Generally, it's a bit rough the first day or two sailing from San Pedro and then returning as you go through the Japanese current. The other days are really up to Mother Nature. You'll have to consult her.

We did the L.A./Hawaii RT just this January. The seas were considered moderate ( about 4' to 7') for about 3 days then slight the rest of the way. Some of the passengers were sea sick the first day. But, it really depends on fate on how rough the ocean will be. (My Mom hadn't cruised before and didn't get sea sick at all)

(The trip was incredible. We've rebooked for the Golden for Feb. 2009)

we did a 15 day out of san pedro in june...smooth sailing all the way there and back....we were on the princess regal.....enjoy...........;) :)

We were on this year's Diamond Princess cruise over Christmas & New Years. We had everything from light to moderate to heavy seas. But with stablizers the motion is not too bad. If are really prone to motion sickness, well you may want to think about it. From casual observation though what motion there was didn't seem to effect many people and after a day most had found their sea legs.

we did a 15 day out of san pedro in june...smooth sailing all the way there and back....we were on the princess regal.....enjoy...........;) :)
The Regal Princess, now gone from Princess, handles seas MUCH better than the Grand Class ships currently on this route. The two ship types aren't comparable as they have two very different hull designs so that if you had one experience on the Regal (as we did), it could be completely different given the same conditions on the Golden or Diamond.

Our Diamond trip in November was smooth sailing all the way. In 2005 we were on Celebrity's Infinity in October and the first night out was a little rough. We now know to start Bonine the night before we cruise anywhere. It is an absolutely wonderful trip with all the sea days to relax and visiting those beautiful islands. One thing - the Golden will not be stopping in Kona, one of our favorite ports.

On the Island Princess end of March first of April 2007 the seas were very rough the first night out and less so the second night - storm off the west coast. Returing they were moderate the last night of the cruise - no storm.

Because of the wind there was a lot of banging noise that kept me awake that first night.

This cruise will not compare to your Western Caribbean cruise. There are many sea days and it is possible that it will be cold and windy except around the Islands. If you like sea days and can still enjoy them if you can't go out on deck or use the pools you'll like the cruise.

Last year there were several posts from people that were unhappy with Princess because they were not told the weather might be bad and if so they might not make all the ports. They felt they should have been warned when booking that the seas might be rough and the crossings cold.

On our April/May 2007 Hawaii cruise on the Island, the seas were a bit rough but tolerable on the first and second day and smoothed out for the rest of the cruise. We were in a mini on the Baha and we had a bit of a sway on those days..

On the Jan. 17th sailing the seas to Hawaii and around the islands were very calm. We didn't have the rough seas for the first day or two as expected. However after we left Hilo, our last port, we had rough seas all the way to Ensenada. The seas didn't bother us, but lots of people were sick, and some of the pools were drained. Some of the staff was washed into the pool--in their uniforms-- by waves during the Survivor finals. It's just the luck of the draw.

we were on the Island Princess in april 2006 and it was the first time we felt the rough water. in fact we actually felt the movement when we were in bed too... we heard the pacific ocean is more rough then others..not sure if that is true or not, but we did feel movement... maybe it is hit or miss for each cruise as to wether u feel movement or not....i wouldnt let it stop me though! it wasnt bad enough to make us sick...the first night i was a little queezy at dinner but i was fine after that

Ok, so the hubby and I are thinking of booking the Golden Princess roundtrip to Hawaii (depart Los Angeles) in February 2009 and I've heard different stories about the sea. What was your experience, would you recommend this trip? I'm a little nervous because we've only done one cruise which was Western Caribbean and it was all smooth sailing. I am a newbie and thanks for any advice:)

We sailed the Dawn in Apr and had calm seas all the way. Weather was cool the first few days out of LA but then it warmed up for decent pool weather for us. Some still used the pool the first couple of days.

I have done the San Diego RT to Hawaii twice. The ocean had a mind of it's own. There were as many rough days as smooth. I loved cruising Hawaii. Saw lava flowing into the ocean at night. I found the five days going there and coming back boring each way. No other ships or oceanlife to see. I will fly there then cruise and fly back next time. My wife dissagres with me. Have a great cruise!

Fair Princess 1994

Regal Princess 1995

Crown Princess 1995

Song of America 1997

Sun Princess 1997

Song of America 1998

Crown Princess 1998

Sea Princess 1999

Rhapsody of the Seas 1999

Ocean Princess 2000

Sea Princess 2000

Rhapsody of the Seas 2001

Radiance of the Seas 2001

Mercury 2001

Sea Princess 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2002

Splendor of the Seas 2003

Mercury 2004

Serenade of the Seas 2005

Grand Princess 2006

Radiance of the Seas 2006

Golden Princess 2007

Vision of the Seas 2008

seems to me whether or not the seas are calm or rough is quite unpredictable. we have cruised a lot in the pacific and have always been fortunate to have quite calm seas, even on our recent venture round cape horn.

i had always thought the sea was ALWAYS rough round the horn and was in fact looking forward to it (well sort of) but like i said, for our trip it was smooth as glass.

last june we sailed from tahiti to hawaii, smooth sailing all the way

seems to me some areas are more likely to be rough sailing but that doesnt mean it will be when you are there

the roughest seas we have ever experienced were in the med between monte carlo and barcelona

if i recall correctly the captain said they were 20ft, lotsa people sick and we were on a big ship

hava great cruise

Archived