Accra beach question

coco6

Is the water really rough at accra beach? and I have heard on this site that they only except local money, is this true? If accra beach is to rough, I just wanted to take a taxi to the boatyard and a taxi back to the ship, how much would I take in local money to cover that? Shouldn't the taxi's take U.S. money?

Thanks

I would really play it by ear and keep and eye out for the wind forecasts.

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/marine_forecast.m?city=TBPB&metric=false

The day I went was forecast for medium waves and the waves at Accra were nice rolling waves with some break but very managemenable.

This is not perfect but it does help.

If you were to take the big busses, you'd have to buy tokens.Everyone else is happy to take your US bucks- The exchnge rate is 2 to 1. If it says $2 Barbados it's $1 US. You will get Barbados currency for change

Is the water really rough at accra beach? and I have heard on this site that they only except local money, is this true? If accra beach is to rough, I just wanted to take a taxi to the boatyard and a taxi back to the ship, how much would I take in local money to cover that? Shouldn't the taxi's take U.S. money?

Thanks

]

We visited Accra beach in December and had a great time. The waves were fun but if you aren't paying too much attention they can topple you. The beach itself wasn't busy the day we visited so that definaltely made for a much more enjoyable

As for taxi there... yes they takle U.S cash, but be sure to settle on a price before getting in. They can be quite expensive.

As for taxi there... yes they takle U.S cash, but be sure to settle on a price before getting in. They can be quite expensive.

And be sure what currency they are quoting. We took a taxi to Accra Beach last week and were quoted 40 dollars. My previous research on CC seemed to indicate that US$20 was a typical fare to Accra so BD$40 would have been about right. Well like any good tourist, I forgot all about my previous research and handed the driver a US$50 bill when we arrived. He looked at it strangely and then thanked me as we walked to the beach. I later realized my mistake. When he came back to pick us up that afternoon, I asked him if the fare was $40 US or Barbados. He said US. I figured it was a mistake of my own doing so did not make a big deal and paid him the US$40 when we got back to the ship.

Prices quoted in Barbados are (required by law) quoted in Barbados Dollars.

If you need it quoted "in Real Money"

most island-people are happy to do the quick 2:1 conversion

for your convenience.

But if you forget, and 'sucker' yourself....most taxi drivers are only too happy to oblige!:)

Yes you ripped yourself off, I'm sorry to say :cool:

Even at Bds.$40... that fare from the Port to Accra is on the steep side, I would imagine

but then I'd also be the first to tell you I haven't taken a Barbados cab in ages,

so I'm not up to date with current fares.

Please be careful how you "spend your money wildly", on these islands.

Local island-currencies are worth half to one-third of a U.S.Dollar..

..it varies from island to island.

Be careful.

Archived