Best Alaskan Port To Rent A car

pipedreams62

We're going to rent a car in Haines this July for a drive along the Haines Highway. Many people rent one in Skagway to drive to the Yukon. A car is also handy for driving out of downtown Juneau, although I've decided to do a tour rather than drive.

**I just noticed you're on the Veendam. You must be doing a back-to-back to go to both Haines and Skagway.

We're going to rent a car in Haines this July for a drive along the Haines Highway. Many people rent one in Skagway to drive to the Yukon. A car is also handy for driving out of downtown Juneau, although I've decided to do a tour rather than drive.

**I just noticed you're on the Veendam. You must be doing a back-to-back to go to both Haines and Skagway.

I will be on the Zaandam leaving Seward on June 1. We will be stopping in Haines and I will also be renting a car in Haines and going up the Haines Highway. I looked online and found that there will be 5 ships in Skagway that day and decided that was to much competition to take the ferry to Skagway and drive to Emerald Lake.

I will be on the Zaandam leaving Seward on June 1. We will be stopping in Haines and I will also be renting a car in Haines and going up the Haines Highway. I looked online and found that there will be 5 ships in Skagway that day and decided that was to much competition to take the ferry to Skagway and drive to Emerald Lake.

You probably made a very wise decision. By the time you got to Skagway by ferry - who knows if there would be any rental cars left.

You probably made a very wise decision. By the time you got to Skagway by ferry - who knows if there would be any rental cars left.

That was exactly my thought after reading some other threads. Unfortunately, I had already booked on the ferry and they only refunded 80% of my deposit but I considered it worth it. We would have been very unhappy if we taken the ferry to Skagway to only find out that they had run out of cars.

I did discover a 9-hole golf course in Haines that I am planning on playing after driving up the highway. I will miss sit down dinner but I will have a great story to tell on the links back home.

Hi - how did you find out how many ships will be in port on a particular day?

We are also on the June 13 Veendam sailing for 14 days. We are renting a car in both Juneau and Ketchikan on one of our days at each port. We've rented there before and it was certainly worthwhile. If we were renting only once it would be in Juneau. There are so many places we enjoy outside of Juneau that require having a car. We like to drive north to the Shrine of Saint Theresa and Amalga Harbor and West to Douglas Island as well as going to the usual places that tours take you.

We have about 10 on our roll call board and hopefully we will be able to organixze a meet and greet. If you're interested here are the roll call links for both northbound and southbound.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=608366

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=608367

Archived