Rotterdam hits rough seas

LissaR

Ruth, can you send them to me too? jewing2(at)csc(dot)com

Then I'll post them somewhere so folks can just go to a link.

Thanks!

They're on their way to you. If you can post them somewhere, and give a link, I'd appreciate your efforts. Please give lknick credit for the original link.

The photos were taken from the bridge of the MS Rotterdam in August 2003. They were sent to me by CC poster longtimecruiser, and by the Rotterdam internet manager at the time---Rodin.

Special thank you for everyone who worked so well together to bring these amazing pictures for us to see. I, for one, really appreciate it. I have been checking often here to see if there was any further information. These pictures tell it all!

Thanks to both RuthC and SunYan for letting us see these pictures once again...sure brought back so many memories for us of that cruise. My foolish husband was out on the Prom. Deck taking video of the rough seas (without my knowledge), but the video is something to see, I must admit.

Thanks to all who helped post those pictures.

With the ship losing power in this year's encounter with high waves, and apparently not being able to steer effectively into the waves, it probably was a much more uncomfortable experience.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I am sure I wouldn't be up to that "E" ticket ride:eek: , even in my rollercoaster prime. I hope everyone that was hurt is mending nicely from the Rotterdam incident.:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

Ted C...I agree with you. I would have been scared to death knowing the ship could not be controlled. At least we did have power on the cruise last year, and even with that I was very nervous and I have made about 17 Transatlantic crossings. Last year's cruise was only the second time I had experienced seas like that...not since we hit the fringe of a hurricane on the ss France in '66. I am sure this last crossing was a nightmare for all aboard!

Thanks for posting the pictures, looks a little scary. As someone said, an e ride for no extra cost. I was watching other threads and the news section of these boards and no additional info ever came. Also our evening news has not carried the story. Glad no one was hurt worse than they were. And as they said, they will have the best stories to tell.

A ship with no power in high seas is in grave danger. A ship that is unable to steer will slip and slide with her beam in the trough facing the waves (beam seas), and if a large enough wave hit the beam, or it the frequency of the waves is just right, the ship will capsize. This is no small matter, the danger that the passengers were in was very real. Other posts poke fun at the idea of people suing, but remember, the ship was in grave danger while the power was out. There are many ships which were sunk as a result of similar conditions.
As for the pictures of the other wave, I found a link that I had saved a while ago, which explains the above pictures. [url]http://lknick33907.tripod.com/themsrotterdamsailsintoastorminthenorthatlantic[/url]

Archived