" The Friends Of Captain McNaught "

GAV BOY

Thank you, once again, oh upside-down pedantic ones.

I also appreciate the insight into the Oxford Dictionary (Antartic Edition). For many years now, I have been under the impression that the penguins' habitat was the AntarCtic.

David

That is what we, The Penguins' Collective, want all you homo sapiens to believe...

(Sorry, the entire collective began laughing uncontrollably when the term "sapiens" was used)

:D

Its something of a tradition that only one ship is the RMS, carries the mail, and Queen Mary 2 is now the RMS. So Elizabeth is an MV. Obviously it does not mean Capt. McNaught's powers are lessened in any way.

I'm having second thoughts about this. A little bird has just told me that I might be mistaken.RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 apparently signaled to her Queen a couple of years ago and referred to herself as RMS Queen Elizabeth 2.And RMS Queen Mary 2 doesn't carry mail. It's an honorific only.But RMS St. Helena is actually called an RMS and does the job - carrying mail to St. Helena.Thank you sparrow. You can have some more birdseed in the morning.

We, The Penguins' Collective are a bit puzzled now...

Why use ships to carry mail?

Don't you humans have those things called "facsimile" (or "fax" if you're in a hurry), "e-mail", "telex" and more importantly, air mail???

:confused:

And, by the way, we, The Penguins' Collective, are also puzzled, since we, The Penguins' Collective, thought this thread was about the Mighty McNaught, and not about the appropriate denomination of the ships that he has been Master of.

Although any praise to the great QE2 is, we, The Penguins' Collective, would submit, an acknowledgment of the greatness of her Captain (he who has been at the helm of the MV RMS HMS DDT PDQ QED QE2...)!

:confused:

And' date=' by the way, we, The Penguins' Collective, are also puzzled, since we, The Penguins' Collective, thought this thread was about the Mighty McNaught, and not about the appropriate denomination of the ships that he has been Master of.

Although any praise to the great QE2 is, we, The Penguins' Collective, would submit, an acknowledgment of the greatness of her Captain (he who has been at the helm of the MV RMS HMS DDT PDQ QED QE2...)!

:D[/quote']

Thank you The_ Penguins_ collective. :D

Welcome to this thread all, if you have any memories or Stories or news regarding Captain McNaught please feel free to post it here. ;)

Gavin

Gavin,

I know Sue reads Cruisecritic. Are you planning on printing out this thread and presenting it to Ian? Will you be on the October 16th crossing?

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

That is a possibility :D

Im not on the October 16th Crossing :( I embark on the 22nd October for what will most likely be my last Voyage on her .

Gavin

We, The Penguins' Collective, have been looking through our archive, and are happy to share with the humans within Cruise Critics, a very rare painting.

It appears that, during the Italian Reinassance, an Italian ancestor of Captain McNaught, Capitano Ioannes DeNaughti, had his painting taken by a famous painter in Florence.

And thus, we, The Penguin Collective, have finally retreived it, and post it here for the benefit of those who cannot come and visit the McNaughten Rules Museum, here in the Antarctica.

647920984_IoannesDeNaughti.jpg.37c0ac076170d4f2742a8bafcdcf5fc9.jpg

Captain McNuaght is really a gentlemen and I have sailed with him several times. I have found that the staff, officers and crew on Cunard are really the best. Some crusie lines have officers that can hardly be bothered to interact with the passengers. It is just the opposite on Cunard's ship. I hear that Captain McNaught will share duties with other Cuanrd Captains on the QE2's Farewell Voyage so that several captains will have the ability to command the final voyage. Let's hope that this is not gossip.

Hi Bobby,

That is a possibility :D

Im not on the October 16th Crossing :( I embark on the 22nd October for what will most likely be my last Voyage on her .

Gavin

We will have to meet up then as I recently booked that short cruise as an add-on to the final crossing... to prolong the inevitable farewell:(

I wonder if Cunard will be offering the services of on-board group therapy and grief counseling for those final voyages leading up to and including the voyage to Dubai?

I wonder if Cunard will be offering the services of on-board group therapy and grief counseling for those final voyages leading up to and including the voyage to Dubai?

This will not be necessary for GavBoy. I understand that he is taking Saint Superian home to be the centrepiece of the shrine currently under construction.

Calls to pay homage will be sounded each morning at dawn in the county of Dorset.

David

We will have to meet up then as I recently booked that short cruise as an add-on to the final crossing... to prolong the inevitable farewell:(

Yes that would be good, this will also be my last Cabin Cavalcade so must make it a special one :D

I need therapy anyway :eek: but certainly will after this :)

And of course im fairly sure Ian will be Captain on this Voyage :D

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...
This will not be necessary for GavBoy. I understand that he is taking Saint Superian home to be the centrepiece of the shrine currently under construction.

Calls to pay homage will be sounded each morning at dawn in the county of Dorset.

David

Cheeky David :rolleyes:

We, The Penguins' Collective, apologise for our absence from this forum.

As it happens, during the Easter holidays we, The Penguins' Collective, get quite disturbed by the habit of you humans of eating eggs, albeit chocolate ones...

Maybe you homo sapiens should try cradling something on your feet through all the cold Antarctic winter, sheltering it from catabathic winds and from predators... and then you tell us if you fancy eating them!!

But we, The Penguins' Collective, digress...

To show you that we, The Penguins' Collective, hold you humans no grudges, here is another piece of our art collection that we, The Penguins' Collective, are prepared to share.

In the 60's the great Captain came to the attention of the most important exponent of what you humans call "Pop Art" (this is puzzling: do you do art using fizzy drinks, or your male parents??), none other than Andy Warhol himself.

Impressed by the Captain who could have taught one trick or two to Columbus, Cook, Francis Drake and Magellan, to quote but a few, Andy Warhol decided to create a painting in his unique style.

Thereafter he decided that the world was not ready for it.

Thereafter he (a wise human, which makes a very nice change for once!), decided that it was humans who were not ready for it, but he entrusted it to us, leaving to us to decide the time when we, The Penguins' Collective, would deem the time ripe for the painting to be known.

And we, The Penguins' Collective, so deem it now, thus, here it is!

:cool:

IanWarhol.jpg.9a25152894b3464a932f41b643d8ef2e.jpg

Captain McNuaght is really a gentlemen and I have sailed with him several times. I have found that the staff, officers and crew on Cunard are really the best. Some crusie lines have officers that can hardly be bothered to interact with the passengers. It is just the opposite on Cunard's ship. I hear that Captain McNaught will share duties with other Cuanrd Captains on the QE2's Farewell Voyage so that several captains will have the ability to command the final voyage. Let's hope that this is not gossip.

Would first like to say I heartily concur with the sentiments of JBTinLB, but in defense of other lines' officers, many of whom are ex-Cunarders, these beng much in demand by other lines, I believe the cruise lines are to blame for the officers' apparent stand-offishness. Many other lines actively discourage their officers from mixing with passengers, hence no Senior Officers' Parties, no table hosting, etc. What do you want to bet it's all in order to save a penny or three?

Could Salvador Dalí, the great surrealist, be immune to the world-wide fascination with the Great Captain, we, The Penguins' Collective, hear you humans asking?

Of course he could not!

He re-elaborated one of his most famous works, The Persistence of Memory, to include the greatest Captain of the greatest ship of the planet inhabited by Penguins (and other lesser animal species) and then gave it to us for safekeeping.

As usual, we, The Penguins' Collective, are more than happy to share it with you humans!

230589349_ThePersistenceofMcNaught.jpg.1098462a5bbbbc08b090e229946ea0f6.jpg

Add me to the list of fans of Captain McNaught. A passenger was likely to see him on a fairly regular basis meeting and greeting on the QE2 2008 WC. Once Captain Perkins took over the helm in Sinagpore all the sparkle and fun seemed to disappear. I am sure he is a fine man but on his watch we didn't hear him as often on the noon announcements and the famous horn seemed to be in early retirement. Under McNaught the officer of the day would finish with a statement about the marvelous QE2. The gossip on the QE2 was that Perkins had called her a barge. Perkins even tried to explain on one of his rare noon announcements why passengers weren't hearing the horn, saying the ports wouldn't allow it. Also, in a Q & A with McNaught and passengers, McNaught said he would be driving her to Dubai and driving was his word.

Could Salvador Dalí' date=' the great surrealist, be immune to the world-wide fascination with the Great Captain, we, The Penguins' Collective, hear you humans asking?

Of course he could not!

He re-elaborated one of his most famous works, [i']The Persistence of Memory[/i], to include the greatest Captain of the greatest ship of the planet inhabited by Penguins (and other lesser animal species) and then gave it to us for safekeeping.

As usual, we, The Penguins' Collective, are more than happy to share it with you humans!

Excellent :D

Add me to the list of fans of Captain McNaught. A passenger was likely to see him on a fairly regular basis meeting and greeting on the QE2 2008 WC. Once Captain Perkins took over the helm in Sinagpore all the sparkle and fun seemed to disappear. I am sure he is a fine man but on his watch we didn't hear him as often on the noon announcements and the famous horn seemed to be in early retirement. Under McNaught the officer of the day would finish with a statement about the marvelous QE2. The gossip on the QE2 was that Perkins had called her a barge. Perkins even tried to explain on one of his rare noon announcements why passengers weren't hearing the horn, saying the ports wouldn't allow it. Also, in a Q & A with McNaught and passengers, McNaught said he would be driving her to Dubai and driving was his word.

Hi steeragelady,

Thank you for your contribution.

I will be onboard on May 5th and i think i will have the pleasure of meeting Captain Perkins. Im also onboard at the end of July (not sure who will be in charge then) For my October trip im hoping it will be Captain McNaught this will make it very special.

Gav :cool:

I wasn' t fortunate to meet you on the winter crossing, because of course I had yet to embark in NYC. Those CC'ers that were with you got the great experience of seeing the captain's quarters, now that would have been a mega bonus.

Jo-Ann

I wasn' t fortunate to meet you on the winter crossing, because of course I had yet to embark in NYC. Those CC'ers that were with you got the great experience of seeing the captain's quarters, now that would have been a mega bonus.

Jo-Ann

Hi Jo-Ann,

Im sorry we did not get to meet, that was the second time that Captain McNaught had kindly invited CC`ers to his Quarters as the penultimate end to the Cabin Cavalcade the first being on the "40th Anniversary Voyage" last September. It was also the first time i had the pleasure to meet Mrs McNaught.

Hope we meet soon,

Gavin.

Archived