" The Friends Of Captain McNaught "

GAV BOY

I have a feeling though, that Captain McNaught wouldn't mind in the least being addressed by his first name by a friend.

And I have a feeling it would depend on when and where. As the Captain isn't here (and is not likely to read this) we'll just have to let those feelings remain feelings.

I expect Gav thought he was among friends here.

It strikes me as incredibly naive to think that everyone who looks at this message board is a friend.

Gavin - you don't. I couldn't say what you do when actually onboard - we've only been onboard for the one trip at the same time. However you have Called McN Ian in this forum. This forum is open to anyone and a statement made here is totally public and will be read by many people who one will never meet.

Surely the written word is different to the spoken word ?

And I have a feeling it would depend on when and where. As the Captain isn't here (and is not likely to read this) we'll just have to let those feelings remain feelings.

It strikes me as incredibly naive to think that everyone who looks at this message board is a friend.

Actually Malcolm both Mrs and Captain McNaught read this thread !!!

I have a feeling though, that Captain McNaught wouldn't mind in the least being addressed by his first name by a friend. There are others who wouldn't tolerate it for a moment. I think the standard etiquette - I believe it's the same in the "other" Navy? - is to use the title in all but the most informal of situations. But again, each captain is different. And I expect Gav thought he was among friends here, and meant no disrespect at all.

Thank you , yes i have made some good friends here ! :D

Surely the written word is different to the spoken word ?

Very, in two ways. You can include all sorts of inflections in the spoken word to convey how something is understood - doing that in the written word is almost impossible and, for the most part, you know who you are speaking to; on a forum you are addressing everybody who cares to look.

Actually Malcolm both Mrs and Captain McNaught read this thread !!!

I'd heard otherwise about Capt McNaught. That just goes to prove that you can't know everybody who does or doesn't read the written word.

Guest Anorak33

CC Member IDLNYC posted a link on a roll call to the Winter 2008 Cabin Cavalcade

which has a shot near the end of the Captain's living quarters, and shows Captain McNaught being very friendly to CC members.

Also shows popular day dress on QE2 is somewhat more casual than has been posted on here as desirable.

Thanks for the link and the movie IDLNYC

CC Member IDLNYC posted a link on a roll call to the Winter 2008 Cabin Cavalcade

which has a shot near the end of the Captain's living quarters, and shows Captain McNaught being very friendly to CC members.

Maybe, but he still doesn't read this thread.

Glenn.

Thanks for the link and the movie IDLNYC

Hi Anorak33,

Thanks for that and for reminding us what this thread is all about :D

As you say Captain McNaught is very friendly to C C members :)

Gav :cool:

Have got to join in this debate. Sue) she said 'call me Sue' DOES read the boards. Gav is actually a great guy and quite reticent in person. The 'icon'

is as he says 'tongue in cheek' and he has great respect for the whole McNaught family.

Yours in friendship

Coolgran

Have got to join in this debate. Sue) she said 'call me Sue' DOES read the boards. Gav is actually a great guy and quite reticent in person. The 'icon'

is as he says 'tongue in cheek' and he has great respect for the whole McNaught family.

Yours in friendship

Coolgran

Yes she does read the boards, she told me. She also told me the Captain refuses to.

Glenn.

Yes she does read the boards, she told me. She also told me the Captain refuses to.

Glenn.

I am sure Sue then tells him anything which she considers might interest him. Leaving him free for other duties. I am sure this debate can go nowhere without their input, without which nobody knows for sure what they think.

Coolgran

Yours in friendship

Coolgran

Hi Coolgran,

Thank you for your Input and your kind words, its a pity that what was meant to be a nice thread has been spoilt. Everything you have said makes a lot of sense and bears a lot of truth.

Gavin

Archived