" The Friends Of Captain McNaught "

GAV BOY

I was fortunate to have had Capt McNaught both times I sailed the wonderful QE2 - her last year doing TAs in 2003 and then again in Sept. on the most memorable 40th Ann. cruise - And thanks to Gav Boy, we were invited to the Captains Quarters after our cabin cavalcade - it was something I will never forget! I can only add my total agreement with all that has been said about the Captain. His love for this grand lady was so obvious - who can forget his emotional comments at the Liverpool Cathedral ...in 2008, she will never pass this way again. I don't think there was a dry eye in the audience. One can only imagine how much he will miss her. I hope that Cunard will give him his choice of which he would prefer to replace his beloved QE2.

I was on the most memorable 40th Ann. cruise - And thanks to Gav Boy, we were invited to the Captains Quarters after our cabin cavalcade - it was something I will never forget! I can only add my total agreement with all that has been said about the Captain.

Thank you gardenbunny, i will like yourself never forget the kind invite to Captain McNaughts Quarters at the end of the Cabin Cavalcade. Memories i will cherish forever. :D

This was made possible thanks to Ian and Sue. :)

Gavin :cool:

We, The Penguins' Collective, have just been informed by our Cunard contacts that, unfortunately, Captain McNaught will not do the whole of the final trip to Dubai: he will have to pass control of the ship to somebody else, from the Suez Canal until the time when the QE2 is well in the middle of the Arabian Sea.

This is due to the fact that the last times that Captain Ian McNaught sailed through the Red Sea they encountered some technical problems, as the pictures below show!

:cool:

redsea.jpg.3fc5f92463bae177e187379cf78f1728.jpg

red_sea.jpg.e532b280171b865f66326204576178e1.jpg

I was fortunate to have had Capt McNaught both times I sailed the wonderful QE2 - her last year doing TAs in 2003 and then again in Sept. on the most memorable 40th Ann. cruise - And thanks to Gav Boy, we were invited to the Captains Quarters after our cabin cavalcade - it was something I will never forget! I can only add my total agreement with all that has been said about the Captain. His love for this grand lady was so obvious - who can forget his emotional comments at the Liverpool Cathedral ...in 2008, she will never pass this way again. I don't think there was a dry eye in the audience. One can only imagine how much he will miss her. I hope that Cunard will give him his choice of which he would prefer to replace his beloved QE2.

Hi Gardenbunny

Yes the 40th was a very special time,we all enjoyed our visit to the Captains Den and meeting his family.

Hope you got the problems with your father sorted out.

regards

Coolgran

Cool Gran - so good to hear from you - and the date you replied was most appropriate. I became a grandmother for the first time on April 11 - 9:40 pm in the USA - she was 7 lbs. 18 inches - Rachel Claire (she will be called Claire). Thanks for asking about my Dad. We did move him to an asst. living Dec 7 - his Alzheimer's is progressing but he has made it to be a great-grandfather - all in all things are well.

Cool Gran - so good to hear from you - and the date you replied was most appropriate. I became a grandmother for the first time on April 11 - 9:40 pm in the USA - she was 7 lbs. 18 inches - Rachel Claire (she will be called Claire). Thanks for asking about my Dad. We did move him to an asst. living Dec 7 - his Alzheimer's is progressing but he has made it to be a great-grandfather - all in all things are well.

Congratulations!!!! By coincidence that was the 21st birthday of my

grandson Tristan.

We can't make our minds up whether to try QM2 or QV. We so loved QE2. It is a good problem to have though.

Glad things are improving for you.

Coolgran

Cool Gran - I really do like QM2 - going back again (3rd time) out of NYC for 5 days Canada and Boston May 22 - 27. Should be nice. She is large (as far as distance goes for walking) since inside on QE2 you can just about see from one end of the ship to the other - but it doesn't feel that large once on board - but she is beautiful. I will try QV - but I always wait 1 year on a new ship for them to get all the details ironed out and running smoothly.

Congratulations!!!! By coincidence that was the 21st birthday of my

grandson Tristan.

We can't make our minds up whether to try QM2 or QV. We so loved QE2. It is a good problem to have though.

Glad things are improving for you.

Coolgran

I'd have no hesitation in recommending them both - they are truely wonderful ships!:)

I like many other people Gardenbunny are waiting to see where Captain McNaught will be going after QE2 so we can follow him. Lets hope we hear soon.

I like many other people Gardenbunny are waiting to see where Captain McNaught will be going after QE2 so we can follow him. Lets hope we hear soon.

Hi QueenFan,

We all hope to have some news soon :D including Captain McNaught im sure :eek:

I will post any news as soon as i hear :)

Unless someone else hears before me ;)

Gav :cool:

My memories are of a few voyages with Ian and sometimes Sue,the last being July '07.Tony was quite poorly then but was able to use his Merc.scooter around the ship.He became instantly recognisable!Sue,was one of the first people to say hello as we all know she reads these boards,and there was allways time for Ian and Sue to speak to us Tonys wish was that his ashes would be 'sprinkled'off the QE2.The 3 day cruise in July is not far enough away from the coast,but he will nevertheless travel on the QV next week!

I am really pleased that this tribute to Ian and Sue has been taken up by so many.It goes to show how highly thought of they both are.

Love

Kathie:)

p.s.We'll meet again,dont know where dont know when!

My memories are of a few voyages with Ian and sometimes Sue,the last being July '07.Tony was quite poorly then but was able to use his Merc.scooter around the ship.He became instantly recognisable!Sue,was one of the first people to say hello as we all know she reads these boards,and there was allways time for Ian and Sue to speak to us Tonys wish was that his ashes would be 'sprinkled'off the QE2.The 3 day cruise in July is not far enough away from the coast,but he will nevertheless travel on the QV next week!

I am really pleased that this tribute to Ian and Sue has been taken up by so many.It goes to show how highly thought of they both are.

Love

p.s.We'll meet again,dont know where dont know when!

Hello Kathie,

Yes Sue and Ian will read this, it is nice to hear that they both showed such kindness to your Dear Husband Tony and yourself. This is so typical of them.

Thank you for your lovely contribution.

I hope to meet you one day.

Gavin

Thanks ,I hope to see you too!Singles are really expensive,dont you feel.

Love

Yes they are expensive :( but i do not wish to travel with any other Cruise Line :p

Cunard have the best Ships/Liners, the best Staff and Crew and of course the best Captains :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been so pleased to read the great comments about our captain. We haven't sailed Cunard since the late 80s. Countess or Princess (?) NY to Bermuda. We're really looking forward to all the great things on this ship. The shape of the ship is so different from the other ships. We've never done

"class" restaurants. We're in steerage. We do about 3 cruises a year (for the

last 5 years). We did the Med 2 years ago in Princess. 2 sea days out of 14. This will be a more relaxed cruise - with plenty of time to explore the QE2. I have been copying and pasting info about the QE2, so I will have lots and lots of paper with me. Hopefully, someone will start a roll call.

joann ( & john)

Any special things (places, art, etc.) we should be looking for?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been so pleased to read the great comments about our captain. We haven't sailed Cunard since the late 80s. Countess or Princess (?) NY to Bermuda. We're really looking forward to all the great things on this ship. The shape of the ship is so different from the other ships. We've never done

"class" restaurants. We're in steerage. We do about 3 cruises a year (for the

last 5 years). We did the Med 2 years ago in Princess. 2 sea days out of 14. This will be a more relaxed cruise - with plenty of time to explore the QE2. I have been copying and pasting info about the QE2, so I will have lots and lots of paper with me. Hopefully, someone will start a roll call.

joann ( & john)

Any special things (places, art, etc.) we should be looking for?

Hi,

I am now booked on the July 2nd Cruise which Captain McNaught will be on :D

I would make sure you go on the "QE2" Heritage Trail which is conducted by a very funny Gentleman named Thomas.

If you would like to meet up onboard please let me know :)

regards,

Managed to hit the Send button before I had finished writing!! What I was saying was I presume he will not be on the 27th August cruise. Also any news on where he is going after QE2?

Managed to hit the Send button before I had finished writing!! What I was saying was I presume he will not be on the 27th August cruise. Also any news on where he is going after QE2?

Hi,

Ian embarked today then disembarks on July 20th ,i thought he would embark again at the end of September but i did hear it could be the end of August. I will let you know when i have news. Still no news on where Ian will go after QE2.

Gavin

Hi,

Ian embarked today then disembarks on July 20th ,i thought he would embark again at the end of September but i did hear it could be the end of August. I will let you know when i have news. Still no news on where Ian will go after QE2.

Gavin

Hello Gavin,

I will embark on my final QE2 cruise for the final transatlantic crossing in October and certainly do plan for Ian to be my Captain. That is the case isn't it?

Steve

Hello Gavin,

I will embark on my final QE2 cruise for the final transatlantic crossing in October and certainly do plan for Ian to be my Captain. That is the case isn't it?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes im pleased to say Ian will be Captain :D Hope you have a great time.

Gavin

Archived