" The Friends Of Captain McNaught "

GAV BOY

Hi,

I am now booked on the July 2nd Cruise which Captain McNaught will be on :D

I would make sure you go on the "QE2" Heritage Trail which is conducted by a very funny Gentleman named Thomas.

If you would like to meet up onboard please let me know :)

regards,

Gavin :cool:

I have started a Roll Call in the Cunard Roll Call section :D

Managed to hit the Send button before I had finished writing!! What I was saying was I presume he will not be on the 27th August cruise. Also any news on where he is going after QE2?

There is a roll call for the Aug 27 sailing. Why don't you join us? It is looking like the cruisecritic members who will be on this sailing are few and far between so join in.

Bettie

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your reply re the Heritage Trail.

Any bridge players on this thread? That's why I have been off line.

Playing bridge for 6 days. Had a "good" time. Dinners with 16 or so people

that you only see 4 times a year. Would have been "great" if I had gotten more points.

We're coming in the afternoon before we sail. I'm checking "ports" for the hotel we'll use. We're thinking of using the bus or train to get there. Always before ,we have found on our thread, someone else we could share a car/van with.

Gavin, you're nominated to pick the bar and the time (before we sail, if possible) for our get together. :-)

Your Welcome :D

I will post news concerning Captain McNaught as i receive it. ;)

I'm curious about where you get your news? From the Great Man himself, or from Cunard, or...?? It's customary to use the title of Captain when referring to the ship's Master, but you use Capt. McNaught's first name - are you a particular friend of his? I ask out of gross curiosity, that's all!

Your Welcome :D

I will post news concerning Captain McNaught as i receive it. ;)

I'm curious about where you get your news? From the Great Man himself, or from Cunard, or...?? It's customary to use the title of Captain when referring to the ship's Master, but you use Capt. McNaught's first name - are you a particular friend of his? I ask out of gross curiosity, that's all!

Hi,

Yes i have become friends with Captain McNaught and Mrs McNaught and also their son Steven. They have been very generous both to myself and other Cruise Critic members allowing us to end our Cabin Cavalcade in his private quarters and willing to answer our questions. Ian must be one of the best Captains in the Industry and is vey popular amongst Passengers, Staff and Crew. I get my info mainly from the Family. I will be back on QE2 on the 2nd of July and am very much looking foward to seeing Ian.

regards,

Gavin.

Hi,

Yes i have become friends with Captain McNaught and Mrs McNaught and also their son Steven. They have been very generous both to myself and other Cruise Critic members allowing us to end our Cabin Cavalcade in his private quarters and willing to answer our questions. Ian must be one of the best Captains in the Industry and is vey popular amongst Passengers, Staff and Crew. I get my info mainly from the Family. I will be back on QE2 on the 2nd of July and am very much looking foward to seeing Ian.

regards,

Gavin.

Sorry to be so nosy! I'd heard of one captain who was offended when friends used his name rather than his title in public, so thought perhaps there was a protocol issue involved. Enjoy your cruise!

I was In Inverness yesterday and visited my dear friend Cindy who works in Slaters menswear shop, he dragged me upstairs and announced he had the ideal thing for my next cruise, You can guess what it was he produced, Yes an off white Dinner Jacket, I threw him one of my looks and said "Cindy Dont even go there:eek: " and spent the next hour downstairs going through mens underwear.

By the way Nick Bates who is now on the other side (Princess) when l was on his table.... (and l wont bore you with the tale, you've heard it all before) he was ALWAYS Captain and nobody on the table dared called him Master...

Sorry to be so nosy! I'd heard of one captain who was offended when friends used his name rather than his title in public, so thought perhaps there was a protocol issue involved. Enjoy your cruise!

Thats Ok please feel free to ask anytime :D

There was an american lady who sat behind us at dinner last year who called him Ian. It made me cringe every time I heard it.

Glenn.

Was she sitting at his table, or were you, or neither? If she was, perhaps she was a close friend?:cool: If you were, was she speaking to him from across the way??:confused: If neither, was she just perhaps attempting to impress her fellow diners with her close connection???:eek:

Was she sitting at his table, or were you, or neither? If she was, perhaps she was a close friend?:cool: If you were, was she speaking to him from across the way??:confused: If neither, was she just perhaps attempting to impress her fellow diners with her close connection???:eek:

I agree if you are friends with that person and they call you by your first name then i think it is ok to call them by their first name !

I agree if you are friends with that person and they call you by your first name then i think it is ok to call them by their first name !

No surprise there, GAV ICON! I would assume if you were talking one on one to Captain McNaught and he called you Gav, that you could call him by his first name.

But would you do so even in a group setting (meaning with people other than his friends)??

Further, would you use his first name when talking to others when he was not around???

I still want to hear from nitwit what the situation actually was.

I've stayed away from this topic as I don't know the Captain and I thought it a bit self promotional to have been considered a "sticky". I thought that was reserved for important topics of interest to all members.

However, I must say that in my opinion, calling a person who has earned a professional title by his first name in a social setting with others who don't know him well is perhaps the height of braggadocio and diminishes the other person's stature. Especially as pertains to the Captain of a ship to whom respect should always be shown in public settings. To do otherwise, even if one is a friend, is rude and arrogant.

ANd how does an ordinary person become an ICON???? Self titled of course...:rolleyes: Must one be annointed in some special ceremony? or can you just add that to your signature?

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

No surprise there, GAV ICON! I would assume if you were talking one on one to Captain McNaught and he called you Gav, that you could call him by his first name.

But would you do so even in a group setting (meaning with people other than his friends)??

Further, would you use his first name when talking to others when he was not around???

In a group setting and when around people who do not know him probably Captain McNaught.

Gavin

Hi patwell,

Im sure if you have the pleasure of meeting Captain McNaught one day you will understand what i mean. :D

As for my "Icon" status it is meant to be very tongue in cheek and light hearted, please do not take it seriously because i do not ! :)

Ceremony- now theres an idea ! :eek: :rolleyes:

I've stayed away from this topic as I don't know the Captain and I thought it a bit self promotional to have been considered a "sticky". I thought that was reserved for important topics of interest to all members.

However, I must say that in my opinion, calling a person who has earned a professional title by his first name in a social setting with others who don't know him well is perhaps the height of braggadocio and diminishes the other person's stature. Especially as pertains to the Captain of a ship to whom respect should always be shown in public settings. To do otherwise, even if one is a friend, is rude and arrogant.

Penny - I have met Captain McNaught (amongst other times he was Captain for over half of the World Cruise this year) he has a very pleasant and friendly public persona. However I would agree with you totally that I would not expect to hear anyone calling him Ian in front of me nor would I expect anyone to call him by his Christian name in a public forum. I would only expect his forename to be used in private and by someone who does know him very well.

Sorry for the late reply.

Neither. She had asked for her daughter to go up to the bridge and permission had been granted. When she got to her table that night all we could hear was "Ian this" and Ian that". Must have been an interesting 10 minutes for them to get so pally.(no insinuation intended).

Glenn.

Penny - I have met Captain McNaught (amongst other times he was Captain for over half of the World Cruise this year) he has a very pleasant and friendly public persona. However I would agree with you totally that I would not expect to hear anyone calling him Ian in front of me nor would I expect anyone to call him by his Christian name in a public forum. I would only expect his forename to be used in private and by someone who does know him very well.

I would always call Captain McNaught by his title in earshot of others. I also call the other Captains by their titles in public and in private.

I would always call Captain McNaught by his title in earshot of others.

Gavin - you don't. I couldn't say what you do when actually onboard - we've only been onboard for the one trip at the same time. However you have Called McN Ian in this forum. This forum is open to anyone and a statement made here is totally public and will be read by many people who one will never meet.

Gavin - you don't. I couldn't say what you do when actually onboard - we've only been onboard for the one trip at the same time. However you have Called McN Ian in this forum. This forum is open to anyone and a statement made here is totally public and will be read by many people who one will never meet.

I have a feeling though, that Captain McNaught wouldn't mind in the least being addressed by his first name by a friend. There are others who wouldn't tolerate it for a moment. I think the standard etiquette - I believe it's the same in the "other" Navy? - is to use the title in all but the most informal of situations. But again, each captain is different. And I expect Gav thought he was among friends here, and meant no disrespect at all.

Archived