CPAP Machines

Quick question about plugs in rooms. I will be taking my first cruise on RCL's Majesty of the Seas. Since I will be sharing a room with my friend, it will be necessary for me to take my CPAP machine. I have read there is only one plug in the cabins, but where is it located? Will I have to run 1 or 2 extension cords to plug it up near my bed? Also, is there a desk or nightstand near the bed that I will be able to sit it on?

Thanks for any information. Oh, and we are staying in an oceanview room on the 8th floor (in case that helps).

I asked the same question.... I was told that there is 1 outlet in the rooms and that they are over by the desk. Everyone that i spoke to said that i should take a surge protector and also an ext. cord. This is our 1st cruise as well. We are going in July.

My hubby uses a cpap and when we were on Elation, the (one) outlet was next to the bed/nightstand. We bought an extension cord, (thanks for the tip, cc'ers!!!), with a few extra outlets and we had no problem at all.

I agree with the poster who suggested to bring a surge protector in addition to other power bars. I work in sleep medicine and we always advise pt's, even at home, to plug their machine into a surge protector. I wouldn't take the chance of anything happening to your CPAP machine since it can take a bit to get a new one, especially if insurance is involved. Hope you have a great cruise!

BTW, I only noticed the last time I flew (last December), that TSA does not allow you to carry on your CPAP machine any longer, it has to be packed in checked luggage. Not sure if that's new??? I think it's ridiculous considering you can turn it on to show them it's not a bomb/weapon of some kind, and with the way they throw your bags around at the airport and the pier it makes me wonder how many people's machines get damaged? Plus, if they lose your luggage you're in trouble, especially if you're very dependant on your CPAP...but I'm getting off topic :o

:) Hi,

I have a CPAP and brought one extention on MERCURY last time out. Worked fine as wall plug is near night table. I actually sat my unit right on the floor almost under the bed; had no problem. Unplugged it during the day and the stateroom attendent very carefully slid it a bit under the bed.

To Veronika, MsRed....I'm surprised TSA overules the carry-on of CPAP...with a letter from your practitionner, I understood it is thus considered as medical equipment and nobody can force you to check it into other suitcases. I suggest that a polite insistance will allow one to carry it on, specially since they triple check it so thoroughly when you go thru the screeners. I've flown X-border 4 times since the Cpap became part of my day-to-day necessities, and the issue never came up....

At which airport(s) did the incident(s) you refer to actually occured ??? Maybe it's a localised thing....

Cheers

;)

Just flew on Wed. 3/12 and TSA inspected my wife's CPAP (as usual) ran it and passed it on. No problems. Same proceedure as before.

Our cabin on last cruise had 2 outlets, 1 by desk and 1 hiding under a small wall mounted table (didn't find it till the 3rd or 4th day). I always bring and extension cord and also an outlet strip as my wife also uses other medical devices which need charging, etc.

My husband just flew 2 weeks ago to Germany with his CPAP and didn't have a problem carrying it on here in the US or oversees. He said they hand searched the unit in it's case by swabbing around the inside and putting that in a machine for testing.

:) Hi,

I have a CPAP and brought one extention on MERCURY last time out. Worked fine as wall plug is near night table. I actually sat my unit right on the floor almost under the bed; had no problem. Unplugged it during the day and the stateroom attendent very carefully slid it a bit under the bed.

To Veronika, MsRed....I'm surprised TSA overules the carry-on of CPAP...with a letter from your practitionner, I understood it is thus considered as medical equipment and nobody can force you to check it into other suitcases. I suggest that a polite insistance will allow one to carry it on, specially since they triple check it so thoroughly when you go thru the screeners. I've flown X-border 4 times since the Cpap became part of my day-to-day necessities, and the issue never came up....

At which airport(s) did the incident(s) you refer to actually occured ??? Maybe it's a localised thing....

Cheers

;)

Hi. I noticed this happening at Detroit Metro Airport and at both Miami international and Ft. Lauderdale Airports. When approaching the screening checkpoints, there were large signs saying that and liquids gels over 3oz. etc, as well as any devices such as CPAP machines (they specified CPAP) are not permitted in carry on luggage, and must be returned so that it can be checked. Since it is a vital breathing device, IMO I think this should be overlooked.

In the past we have always instructed our patients to carry on their CPAP machines and take with them the letter from the doctor plus the information card from the respiratory company who provided the equipment. Most screeners know what a CPAP machine is, but some don't. Perhaps they only post this sign during times of high national security?? I'm not sure. I guess it's always better to call the airline/airport to make sure, that way you lessen your chances of losing or having your machine damaged.

Here's something interesting I found at http://www.cpap-supply.com/Articles.asp?ID=128

"The official word from the TSA is that "CPAP machines respirators" are permitted beyond security checkpoints. You can read about this at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm. However, if you keep researching and dig a little deeper, you'll find that at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1370.shtm#6 the TSA also says, "Any respiratory equipment that Security Officers cannot clear by inspection will not be permitted into the sterile area". That's quite a loop hole and it leaves CPAP users wondering if their CPAP machines will be able to pass inspection.

My recommendation would therefore be to expect to be able to take your CPAP machine on an airplane with you, but don't be surprised if you end up having to check it."

We travel often and have never had an issue carrying on my husband's CPAP. The TSA website is very clear that you can carry them on. There is no way that you could check it on it's own in it's carrying case as it would definatley be damaged.

If it does not pass inspection, then of course it would not be allowed on board at all. They inspect it for combustionable material and test it with a swab for a few things. If it does not pass, you have no business having it anyway.

We flew CLE-LAX round trip in February and had no trouble taking the cpap in carry-on luggage. As someone else noted, it is clearly noted as a legal carry-on in the TSA regulations. Maybe those of us who use them should print out the TSA page and carry it in the cpap case.

My husband took a surge protector and extension cord. On the Diamond Princess there was room to put it on the desk by the bed. There wouldn't be room on the night stand because the lamp is attached to the middle of it.

I use a CPAP machine. When we boarded the ship I was dismayed to see the plug outlet on the other side of the cabin but I was able to borrow an extension cord from the reception desk.

Next cruise we're taking power strip and an extension cord!

Darling Hubby travels EXTENSIVELY for business....just returned from DC Thursday evening...he flies about 6-8 times per month. We just returned from Emerald Princess cruise on 24 Feb.

He has NEVER been denied carrying his CPAP as handcarry. Don't get me wrong, it is a royal pain in the A## every time he goes thru security...he ALWAYS gets pulled aside, gets scanned, does the explosives detection run...but never been denied or told to return to check.

He travels both internationally and thru the US and has yet to have a problem.

Funny thing is his job is working for the US Gov in a "keeping things from happening" type of job...but the screeners have no idea about that anytime he travels, either business or pleasure.

We both feel the steps taken to ensure that we are all safe aboard an aircraft are necessary evils and we are grateful that they are working hard to ensure our safety (even IF they made me throw out a tube of toothpaste that we had used on our 11 day cruise at the Ft L airport returning home...even tho I brought it WITH me on the flight to board our cruise!)

We always take an extension cord for his CPAP...but I have been told that they supply them on the ship for those with medical requirements just in case you forget yours.

I've never flown with my CPAP, could someone tell me if it counts as my carry on baggage or am I allowed to bring it on the plane in addition to my carry on?

Susan

My DH carries his CPAP and his computer bag on ALL flights, no one has ever said anything at all about the CPAP being his only carry on.

I've never flown with my CPAP, could someone tell me if it counts as my carry on baggage or am I allowed to bring it on the plane in addition to my carry on?

Susan

IMHO, it would be best to check the web-site of the airline. I know that American Airlines consider's (at least the last time I looked :rolleyes: ) medical equipment to be a "free" carry on.

In other words, you could carry on a CPAP, a regular carry on bag, and a purse, briefcase or backpack.

From what I've read here and on other sites, you should bring an extension cord (at the least). I'd bring a power strip and an extension cord :) !

I became a "hosehead" last July. So far, I've flown with the CPAP twice round-trip, taken a cruise with it, and taken a train ride.

Things to know:

1. Check the current TSA regulations (www.tsa.gov). As of last month, CPAP machines not only could but must be carried on. Most airlines do not count the machine towards your carry-on allowance, as it's a medical assistive device, but check with your airline to make absolutely sure.

2. Make sure that you have the owner's manual, as well as a doctor's letter explaining what the machine is and what it does, as well as its necessity.

3. Take a power strip with you. This is a good idea even if you don't use a CPAP.

4. Contact your cruise line well before your sail date. Let them know you use a CPAP, and request distilled water and an extension cord. Just be aware that some cruise lines require a deposit for the cord (refundable the last day of the cruise). And don't be surprised if you see an "Oxygen in Use" sign on your door - some ships do this even if you don't use an oxygen concentrator.

Happy sailing!

We just got back from a cruise on the 9th. Did not have any problems with my husbands cpap in his carry on. They did inspect it of course but no troubles. Do not forget your extension cord, our plug ins were on the desk across the room from the bed, there was a little night stand/ drawers to set it on next to the bed. Have a great trip!

Myra

Archived