Panama Canal Sunfarer - 12/09/08

Williebill

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to fellow PanCanDamers. We are trying to decide when to get plane tickets from Phx to Florida. We can't check on Southwest because they are not booking for December as yet. And we don't know whether it is worth waiting for their fares. U.S. Airways does appear to be cheaper than Delta at this point. We may go to Orlando area first and then train down to Ft. Lauderdale for the cruise. Has anyone done that on Amtrak and was it worth the 6 hour trip?

Be careful if planning to take the train from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. You would need to travel the day before the cruise departs. In April 2005, I took Amtrak up to Orlando and was going to take it back down. However, the morning I needed to leave to catch my 6 pm flight out of Fort Lauderdale, the train was going to be arriving 6 hours late into Orlando. I had to rent a car & drive down. The trip up was very nice - took about 4 1/2 hours, pretty scenery, and had a snack car on the train.

Hello to fellow PanCanDamers. We are trying to decide when to get plane tickets from Phx to Florida. We can't check on Southwest because they are not booking for December as yet. And we don't know whether it is worth waiting for their fares. U.S. Airways does appear to be cheaper than Delta at this point. We may go to Orlando area first and then train down to Ft. Lauderdale for the cruise. Has anyone done that on Amtrak and was it worth the 6 hour trip?

What ever you decide, I agree that you need to go to Florida early. My DW and I used to fly to the port city the same day that we were to board the ship but we were always in a rush and hoped nothing happened to our flight to make us late. We now fly down the day ahead and get a hotel room; it certainly starts our cruise vacation off better.

Bill

We do plan to take the Amtrak one day early into Ft. Lauderdale. You are right about less hassle arriving the day before the cruise. I'm glad to hear that the Amtrak trip was enjoyable. Thanks for response.

We do plan to take the Amtrak one day early into Ft. Lauderdale. You are right about less hassle arriving the day before the cruise. I'm glad to hear that the Amtrak trip was enjoyable. Thanks for response.

I haven't seen you on our roll call in a while. Come back and visit!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Have you decided where you will be staying in Fort Lauderdale?

Bill

Bill,

We have not yet decided hotel or air transport yet. Hotel just has to be clean and reasonably priced and with a restaurant or near restaurants for dinner and breakfast before the cruise. I think I saw a Days Inn with a restaurant when I did a slight bit of searching last month. Don't remember for sure. Temperatures are in the 90's here now and my mind slows down.

Alice

Alice,

Nice to hear from you again. There is a Comfort Inn near the Port that my DW and I were considering before we finally booked at the Marriott North. All of us will be so excited the night before the cruise, the hotel really won't matter as long as it is clean.

Bill

Archived