15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

I'm honored that your very first post on Cruise Critic was directed to me. :)

I can't tell you how much I have learned on these boards from others who have shared their experiences. Cruise Critic has taught me a lot -- enriching my travels, introducing me to new friends, and revealing hints and "secrets" on how to better enjoy my travels to many different destinations...

My wish is that your experience here is just as great as mine has been! :D

Seafun - I am surprised that this thread is still going. I've been busy building a new house so haven't been of the board for many months. It's wonderful that so many people find information with this and othere threads.

Rita

Siince a fair number of people seem to be taking the Gate1 Egypt tours, I think a lot of the information in the thread remains useful.

Like you, I'm a little surprised it's still somewhat active, but as long as it helps people, I'll keep plugging away at it.

I know I've certainly gotten a lot of good advice from Cruise Critic over the years, and it makes me feel good that others are getting some advice and suggestions from this thread.

Good luck with the new house! I just moved into a new house 8 months ago, after 31 years in the same place. I still have boxes I haven't gone through, lol. Somehow wasting some hours on Cruise Critic seems more enjoyable than that, lol. :D

Siince a fair number of people seem to be taking the Gate1 Egypt tours, I think a lot of the information in the thread remains useful.

Like you, I'm a little surprised it's still somewhat active, but as long as it helps people, I'll keep plugging away at it.

I know I've certainly gotten a lot of good advice from Cruise Critic over the years, and it makes me feel good that others are getting some advice and suggestions from this thread.

Good luck with the new house! I just moved into a new house 8 months ago, after 31 years in the same place. I still have boxes I haven't gone through, lol. Somehow wasting some hours on Cruise Critic seems more enjoyable than that, lol. :D

I'm not Rita, but, THANK YOU!!! My husband and I have just gotten serious about getting to Egypt and your information is wonderful! I am just in the begining stages of planning our trip but it has moved from "someday" to "full steam ahead". I will be reading and rereading your posts. Thank you so much. I haven't even made it to all the links provided yet. Your writing style is so enjoyable to read and the information is priceless. Again, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

My husband and I have just gotten serious about getting to Egypt and your information is wonderful! I am just in the begining stages of planning our trip but it has moved from "someday" to "full steam ahead". I will be reading and rereading your posts. Thank you so much. I haven't even made it to all the links provided yet. Your writing style is so enjoyable to read and the information is priceless. Again, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

I'm glad you're planning for Egypt. The more DVD's you watch, the more information you gather, the more enjoyable your trip will be. It's a wonderful country with friendly people and incredible sights. There are several of us on this site who have been to Egypt more than once. We're happy to help.

Rita

I'm glad you're planning for Egypt. The more information you gather, the more enjoyable your trip will be. It's a wonderful country with friendly people and incredible sights. There are several of us on this site who have been to Egypt more than once. We're happy to help.

Rita

Just wanted to add a firm endorsement to this. One of the things I did for some of our trips to Egypt was to type out a little list of dates of the Kingdoms and main Dynasties, and the important Kings associated with them, and carried it as a sort of crib sheet. I found it helped to be able to put the guide's information into some sort of chronological context, given that the length of time you're dealing with is so vast.

As Rita rightly says, we Egyptophiles are always happy to help out.

Richard

Edited by Sekhmet

I am very happy for you, being paid and ready to go! I remember back when you both were considering this trip, and I have no doubts that you will have a great time!

Wanderinggirl, are you still doing this as a single? That's what I did (the single supplement was SO reasonable compared to a "regular" cruise.) Don't worry for a minute about feeling weird about doing it single.

It will be VERY easy to meet other folks in your group (and they will be so in awe of you for being so brave to do it on your own! :rolleyes: ) There were several of us singles on my trip, and don't worry a bit -- you'll have a great time and make lots of new friends. (And it is SO nice to be able to be on your own when you want to.)

Texancruzer -- I am so glad you booked all the shore excursions you did. I PROMISE you, you will not regret it. When you get home, (all tired and glowing from the experience...) I'll bet you will agree it was some of the best vacation money you ever spent.

Once you are there, you really don't spend a heck of a lot of money -- even with buying some souvenirs -- and I'm sure you'll be glad you opted for the extra excursions.

I wish I was going with you -- but you know, LOL, in a way, I'll be right there, hovering over your shoulder... waiting patiently to hear what you think once you get home.

Once again... is it a perfect company and trip without any faults? Well, no (what vacation is?). But is it an incredible value for the money, and something you will treasure and remember for the rest of your life? Well, YES!!! Remember to pack the proverbial "open mind and good attitude" and you'll have a great time. :D

Thanks Seafun.

Yep, those two items are the first to get packed ;)

We have been fortunate to travel ALOT in the last 13 years....... I always do all the planning, researching, booking etc..... and dh enjoys all the work. He usually doesnt even really want to discuss until the trip is quite close ~~ but this trip he is the complete opposite. He has been with me right along, looking at documentaries, pictures, planning, excursions..... "do we go here ?" Yes honey.....we will go there....... he is soooo excited as this is his "I've always wanted to do this" trip. I can't wait - half of my fun will be watching him experience this.......:D

Hey Seafun. I have a wonderful friend traveling with me on this trip. We've travelled together before, so we don't anticipate too many problems. We signed up for all of the optional excursions and are hoping they offer the hot air balloon ride in Luxor after we get there. I've been slowly doing my homework/research in order to get ready. I have a MA in history so I really like to study in depth, especially on a topic that has fascinated me for years.

Except for getting another rechargeable battery for my camera, I'm pretty much ready to go!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Seafun and all you other lovely posters. I went on a Thompson cruise to the Red sea back in January and had a taster of Cairo, Luxor etc. It captivated me and we have now booked a Nile Cruise on the Beau Soliel in November so that we can see everything properly. I will definately make sure Abu Simbel is on our itinerary.

As well as watching the sunsets and sunrises, what would you say would be a really romantic place or thing to do on the cruise?

We thought that our felluca ride on the Nile in Cairo was romantic, even with other couples on board. A more private ride would be even better. Our evening tour of Luxor could also be a romantic tour. It wasn't for the light show, just walking around this amazing place with the lights highlighting it's beauty. You can see photos on our website www.thepreismans.com.

Wow Mike, thanks for sharing those photos, it looks like you had a wonderful time! We are going in November and, hopefully, it will be a little cooler. We are only doing the 7 day nile cruise but reading your report makes me wish we were doing more.

It seems that everyone runs the risk of 'mummy tummy'. Has anyone got any advice on what more to avoid - I've noted the Abu Simbel icecream from Seafun's notes! I will be bringing antiseptic hand gel as I've heard even the money is a terrible carrier of bugs.

Thanks again Mike for your brilliant notes and photos.

I just googled Antinal (the stomach medicine available at a very reasonable price in Egypt).

There are lots of links you can check out that explain what it does, and several discussion forums that will answer many of your questions about "mummy tummy" and it's prevention.

Happy reading and research! :)

Sometimes, I think that Mummy's Tummy is indiscriminate. I followed all the rules on what not to eat, not brushing my teeth in the water, etc., and I got it bad enough that they had to call a doctor for me. My other, on the other hand, ate salads and didn't pay any attention to the rules, and she was fine, so...

What I will say is that in my experience, if you do get it, american medicines do not work. If you are truly ill, don't hesitate to ask for an egyptian doctor. They are well qualified and egyptian medicines work best on egyptian illnesses. The doctor I saw cam on board the cruise ship, very professional and cheap. But I was better within 36 hours, whereas I had been sick for 3 days before and not getting any better.

Just got back..........out of 40 people I would say 75% did get sick. I do get sick with digestive problems quite easily so I tried something new for me. 2 months prior I went on a regime of a very strong probiotic, Sustenex, as well as my usual probiotic. Used all the other precautions stated here and I was fine.

People were dropping like flies:eek: I did observe what they were eating and many were not careful.

When we were there - all 4 of us were very careful - not sick at all.....until.....we felt safe.....and ate the food on the plane!!! The attack came when we returned home....wow how stupid not to realize that the food on the plane was stocked in Cairo. So beware!!!

When we were there - all 4 of us were very careful - not sick at all.....until.....we felt safe.....and ate the food on the plane!!! The attack came when we returned hometo realize that the food on the plane was stocked in Cairo. So bewa....wow how stupid not re!!!

I read that here a while ago........good tip to remember:) We packed sandwiches from the buffet at the hotel that morning and ate them on the plane.

Hi Seahorse, the probiotic sounds like a really good idea and certainly wouldn't do any harm to arm us against the bugs!

Now - I want to buy some special jewelry while I'm away for presents. Where would be the best place to be able to look without having too much hassle?

Thanks so much for all the advice and ideas - I love this thread!

Hi Seahorse, the probiotic sounds like a really good idea and certainly wouldn't do any harm to arm us against the bugs!

Now - I want to buy some special jewelry while I'm away for presents. Where would be the best place to be able to look without having too much hassle?

I found the vendors intimidating:o and I wouldn`t go into "any" shop to buy jewelry.

If you are going on a Nile cruise I found the best shop was the jeweler on board. Very fair and he had good quality goods.

Edited by seahorse

I am not Seahorse, but I am leaving in 4 weeks for our 15 day tour of Egypt and I AM A SHOPPER !!!! So thru my research I have found these two tidbits of info

1. karak Bazaar near the Mena House in Giza, 16 Pyramids Street - was recommended to me. good stuff and decent prices

2. Luxor - best place for gold and selection.

Hope this helps a bit. I know I plan on buying some jewelry while there !

You should have lots of time for shopping in Luxor, if your tour is like mine was. But make sure you visit the Luxor temple (both daytime and nighttime, as the illumination is great on the carved walls). Easy walk from where your ship will tie up. And as I noted before, you must not miss the Luxor Museum, further down along the Corniche (towards the Karnak temple).

I forget if the shopping street is called El Souk, but there's a wooden framing above its entrance, very close to the Luxor temple. Lots of shops, but pretty hardcore haggling is required.

I bought quite a few things in the Gaddis bookstore (right next to the Winter Palace Hotel.) Lots to choose from, and marked, set prices!! :) Something you will learn to appreciate, LOL. Maybe not the cheapest prices, but at a certain point you just don't want to haggle any more.

And there's a fair trade shop, where prices are set. It's just across the street from the back half of Luxor temple, near the McDonalds (care for a McDonald's Egypt bath towel???) Here's a link to the free trade shop's rather disappointing web site: http://www.egyptfairtrade.org/ I appreciate what they are trying to do.

Happy shopping, but remember to see all the sites! :D

Edited by seafun

• 2 weeks later...

Four weeks to go and we got our travel documents today. Seems Lufthansa has changed the flight time out of Orlando until 3 hours later, meaning that we will have about 40 minutes to get on the plane to Cairo out of Frankfurt. Even if we make it, I know our luggage won't. Sigh...not a good way to start a trip.