What do the letters for cabin categories mean?

calidude80

Supposedly, the further into the alphabet the letter is, the better the cabin and/or the higher the deck. Now the best way to describe this is by looking at a deck plan of a ship, say the Carnival Miracle, for example. You can get a balcony cabin (Grade 8) on the Upper Deck and it might be 8A or 8B. But if you put that same cabin on the Verandah or Panorama deck, you're looking at 8G or 8H.

The difference between the two cabins might not be much, but it'll cost you a bit more to be up a little higher on the ship.

I have a 6D room. What do the letters mean? Also, I'm towards the front of the boat on the Empress deck...will I feel the boat move a lot?

The 6 means it is a OV and the letter is the higher the higher the deck. It doesn't stand for a deck per say but, a level for pricing.

If it was an IS the number would be a 4.

Supposedly, the further into the alphabet the letter is, the better the cabin and/or the higher the deck. Now the best way to describe this is by looking at a deck plan of a ship, say the Carnival Miracle, for example. You can get a balcony cabin (Grade 8) on the Upper Deck and it might be 8A or 8B. But if you put that same cabin on the Verandah or Panorama deck, you're looking at 8G or 8H.

The difference between the two cabins might not be much, but it'll cost you a bit more to be up a little higher on the ship.

You got it! :) The letters just indicate how high up on the ship you are. The more forward, aft, or higher up you are; the more you will feel the motion. Some people can be anywhere with no problems at all; others who have a tendency for motion sickness will have difficulties in those areas.

HTH :)

Deck A is deck 1 from the bottom, Main deck, deck 2 is riveria deck, etc.

Just count up 4 decks and thats the deck. The letters are how many decks up from the bottom deck of that category you are. d = 4 decks up

Not really the case. Some ship do not start with the lowest deck with cabins being deck one. So, "A" could be deck three also you can find 5A;s and 1A's on two different decks. The letters don't = a deck. Some times it is close though.

Not really the case. Some ship do not start with the lowest deck with cabins being deck one. So, "A" could be deck three also you can find 5A;s and 1A's on two different decks. The letters don't = a deck. Some times it is close though.

Come on, you are nit picking when you say 1A and 5A is different. true, but Im assuming the OP didnt pick those since he said 6D.

I changed my booking from 8A on upper deck to 8A on empress deck. The difference was $80.00 per person.

Exactly same cabin, exact same position on ship, just 1 deck up.

This is for the 2009 Splendor, so it isn't like the cruise is 30 days away.

Pat

Archived