TA or 1-800-Princess ???

Princess Victory

I am looking forward to cruising this year. :) I booked my reservation directly with Princess, I left a deposit and final payment is due in a few months.

Until final payment, I can call Princess and check to see if the cruise rate went down. If it went down I can make the necessary changes. About 2 weeks ago the price dropped; I called Princess and they gave me the lower rate and a upgrade.

If I had given it to my TA, Princess will not take my call and all changes must be made through my TA. As you know...once you book with the TA and find out there's a price drops or an upgrade is available, your TA is probably away from their desk and will return your call days later and very often you will miss out on that deal. How many TA's call to tell you that the price dropped or an upgrade is available? I've also read that the TA gives penalty's if you cancel the booking or make any changes before final payment. Well if I decide to cancel right now, I get 100% of my deposit back!

I intend to switch it over to my TA and I will be getting 10-12% off the (cruise only) rate. I think i'm going to hold on to my reservation until last minute. I think of it as... I did all the work and my TA gets the commission. ;)

Cruisers that book 1 year or months in advance, is it better to book with your TA or Princess direct?

We work with an online TA company that as I type this response, I can see an add for right now.

Alas, I digress...

We have never had a problem dealing with this issue. It might help however that I'm always keeping my TA honest by checking rates myself and even with our next trip being almost a full year out, I'm always talking to him about cabin upgrades, suggestions on tours and what not. Developing a relationship with your TA helps tremendously.

For my cruise on the Tahitian Princess, there was a special where outside was price of inside, etc. I forwarded the info to my TA. In seconds after I clicked <send>, I got inbound from the TA with a price adjustment. She had been monitoring the price, had about 20 people on the 2 cruises in play, and was proactive. She was already adjusting my price without any input from me. She called me and we shared a laugh and the joy of a discount.

I think it's unfair to the PVP to switch to a TA after booking. Especiall if your sole purpose is to get q cheaper deal. If your TA was worth a damn thye would honor any reductions (which I disagree with anyway)

When you booked the cruise the price must have been acceptable. You had your choice of cabins, etc and then you want a lower price. They are one of the few industries that is expected. You book an airline, you typically cannot get cheaper, etc.

Sounds like you may be one that a TA does not cherish as a customer.

We always book with a TA but check prices on line and with Princess. TA we use generally beats Princess direct, is a bit higher than on line agencies. We like dealing face to face.

We also check prices when we are on a Princess cruise on future cruises. Have found reduced rates, booked and transferred back to our TA. Then cancelled the earlier booking when we got back home with our agent.

So it pays to watch prices. HAL often sends us direct emails on lower prices. Have rebooked HAL cruises with new promotions and cancelled earlier bookings.

We have found our Travel Agents wants to work with us and is willing to help us get the best deal. We work at it too. It is a partnership. We treat our Travel Agent well with gifts. Most good Travel Agents appreciate folks who love to travel, they need our business.

I use two on-line travel agencies. Both are out of state, and one is somewhere on the West Coast. Both have given me tremendous prices on cruises. One charges a $100 cancellation fee, BUT if I cancel and rebook a future cruise at the same time, that fee drops to $35. Their prices are much lower than on-line cruiseline websites. I tend to go with the one that charges the price for cancellation because I don't cancel, and in one case I simply booked a different future cruise because I was going to cancel. Unless it is a cruiseline that doesn't allow price reductions, they are by far my best bet.

You have to do whatever you are comfortable with doing. I have never had a problem with getting price adjustments from either company. I have never met the people that work at either agency. Of course I know a lot of people that would never do that. My brother thought I was nuts when I did that the first time, and he still wants to have an agent he can walk in and talk to.

When prices drop, I have found that they don't seem to fluctuate rapidly. They drop and stay that way for quite awhile. Therefore, even if I send an e-mail and wait several days or so, it has never impacted the amount I saved.

Like others say, I check daily, and I inform the agency if the price has dropped.

Whether or not you agree with the policy it is against our guidelines to ask people to email you the names of travel agents or to recommend an agent here on the boards. There are agents who use their agency name (not link) in their signature and that is permitted. There are also a variety of agencies that advertise here on CC. If you sign up for the newsletter you will also receive information re agent specials etc.

I don't make the policy but I do have to enforce it...

I think it's unfair to the PVP to switch to a TA after booking. Especiall if your sole purpose is to get q cheaper deal. If your TA was worth a damn thye would honor any reductions (which I disagree with anyway)

When you booked the cruise the price must have been acceptable. You had your choice of cabins, etc and then you want a lower price. They are one of the few industries that is expected. You book an airline, you typically cannot get cheaper, etc.

Sounds like you may be one that a TA does not cherish as a customer.

Let me get this straight blindrid...You book your cruise with your TA/Princess and keep the price that is given to you (months in advance) and if the fare goes down, you do nothing? :rolleyes: I've read many post on this CC board that say TA charge $ to change a reservation before final payment. If I can get a lower price why not? More for me to spend on my cruise! Sorry, I'm not "blind" sighted!

BTW, my TA loves me!!! :D

Archived