ship time vs. local time

Lowbrow

Ok, so I just called ncl 4 times and got 4 different answers. Errr.:mad: So, if I go with the majority of the anwers, ncl ship time changes with local time zone. Is that correct?

Here's where it gets fuzzy. None of the ports on our itinerary observe daylight savings time. Some said the ship does observe daylight savings time and others said it always matches local time. Does anyone know which is right?

For example, it says we'll be in Roatan 3-8. I'm assuming that's ship time (again I got different responses here). Roatan time, will that also be 3-8 or will it be 2-7 since Roatan does not observe daylight savings time and the ship (maybe) does? Help!!

When we were on the Sun Feb 23rd....there was always a note in our cablin and on the dailies telling you to put your clock ahead or back depending......really don't worry.....just change your clock when they say and stick to that time.....all will be well.

Happy cruising....

Let me clarify. I guess what I'm asking is, was there ever a time when the ship time they told you to set your watches to did not match the actual time in the port? The reason I'm wondering pre-cruise is I'm trying to book an independent excursion and need to know what time to book it for as our time in port is very short.

This is where my confusion started. From roatan shore excursions dot com:

"Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and other cruise lines generally adjust their ship clocks to reflect the time zone in which they are sailing. During standard time season, ship time will likely be the same as Roatan time. During daylight savings time, ship time will likely be one hour ahead of Roatan time."

The difficult part is todays actual answer if you could get it, could be different than when you get there. And, the arrival time could change. The good news is that the people ashore are ready to deal with it. You could book your tour for 30 or 60 minutes after arrival and they will be there to meet you. That way, no matter what time you arrive, you are all set.

Looking for lots of FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions about NCL? Check here!

It's a difficult question to answer, because all the different answers you have received could be correct.

As a general rule of thumb, NCL ships try to get on local time, and set the clock forward or back each night they change time zones. But the Captains of the ships aren't going to move the ship's clocks two hours on any night.

Not only will that give most of the passengers jet lag, it'll mess up the crew schedules as well.

Roatan, remains on Central Standerd Time year round.

If you're sailing from New Orleans, which is now on Central Daylight Time, the ship's clock will be set back an hour on the way south, and set forward an hour on the way north. Just a month ago, the ship's clocks didn't have to be changed at all.

Now supposed you're sailing a Western Caribbean from Miami instead, which is in Eastern Daylight Savings Time now. Do you really think the Captain is going to adjust the ship's clocks two hours overnight or an hour two nights in a row on the way West, and the reverse returning to Miami on the way back East? Switching the ship's clocks four times on a week long cruise?

Here's a map of the Caribbean Time Zones.

caribbean.gif

To expect the ship to remain on port time exactly may no be what you wish, depending upon the ship's itinerary.

The following Caribbean nations use Daylight Savings Time, the rest do not. Bahamas, Bermuda, Cuba, Haiti, Mexico, Turks and Caicos Islands.

Note: Those Caribbean nations that switch to Daylight Savings Time, most of them do not switch until April 6 this year.

Therefore, let's assume the Spirit sailing from New Orleans after April 6. To stay on local time, the Spirit only has to switch Central Standard Time south Cozumel. Let's assume the Sun sailing from Miami. It needs to switch one hour back to Eastern Standard Time before reaching Grand Cayman. Then switch to back Central Standard Time before reaching Roatan. Then switch forward to Central Daylight Time before reaching Cozumel. Then switch forward to Eastern Daylight Time before returning to Miami.

Can get complicated, can't it?

We just got of the Sun and had DL saving time change on our ship.. 'He is what we did... Left Miami Sat. Taht nuight should ahve been DST... they did not spring ahead. Sunday night we switched to CST... ahead 1 hour to meet Roatan time... they do not do DST. We stayed on Cent Stand Time till Wed night and we switched to EST then Thurs night we went form EST to EDT, pulled into GSC and then to Miami.

So in short, Roatan time and Miami time are the same bacause of the Daylight savings time not being used in Centreal America.

If there is a time change it is announced, in the Freestyle daily and a card is put on your bed. Also teh TV channel always has teh correct time.

Archived