Is the $ Becoming Worthless in Europe???

G.M.T.

Has anyone experienced difficulties in xchanging US $ in Europe?

See report:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080318/od_nm/dollar_dc_2;_ylt=ArUGpGK2eSVjhwIkP7BAv1AE1vAI

Ron

Wow - that would be really hard for americans vacationing in europe right now to accept. As a Canadian, we have always had to put up with their snide remarks about our cheap "funny money"~ now the tables are turned. Wonder if this will make people from this side of the pond think twice about vacationing in Europe in the near future

The dollar hit a new low versus the Euro. It makes sense that the smaller exchanges are either going to increase their spread (meaning paying a lot less for dollars) or stop taking them at all until the dust settles.

It's only March. The summer tourist season is still 2+ months away. You can bet that the exchanges will be up and running when the tourists are.

I don't know how it might affect the ATM's. That has always been our preferred method of exchanging money. In the past it has been the best rate available.

News today is that the trade deficit fell for the first time in years (8 I believe). US goods are becoming less expensive abroad so the foreign orders are increasing.

I would look for more European and Asian passengers on the cruise ships this summer.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

Charlie,

Your 2 Cents is that Dollar or Euro?:confused:

Euro 0.02 = US $0.03152

US $0.02 0 Euro 0.01269

When the Euro was introduced several years ago the tables were turned - the Euro was very cheap.:(

Ron

Charlie,

Your 2 Cents is that Dollar or Euro?:confused:

Euro 0.02 = US $0.03152

US $0.02 0 Euro 0.01269

When the Euro was introduced several years ago the tables were turned - the Euro was very cheap.:(

Ron

We lived in Berlin long ago. The exchange rate was DM4 = $1. a ½ liter of beer was a quarter.:p Shortly after we left the dollar started slipping and when we returned 25 years later it was 2 to one.

So, the slipping dollar is really nothing new. I haven't been back since the conversion to Euros. And probably won't with the exchange rate being what it is.

Charlie

I don't see how it would affect ATMs, which I agree is the cheapest and easiest way to get local currancy.

Interestingly in Turkey we found a bit of reluctance for people to accept USD and ask for euros instead--we met one couple who did have a bit of trouble finding a bank in Turkey that would exchange USD for Turkish Lira. Even in Egypt people wanted euros--not dollars.

This was a change from reports from people who had traveled to these places just a few months ago.

In the big picture I don't think anyone is looking at the impact of American Tourists having a tough time traveling in Europe---it does seem sort of silly for people who can afford to travel--and cruise to worry about what amounts to a fraction of what they pay for the vacation--and its easy to cut back a bit once you are there. Just be glad you can travel--and if its too expensive take this as a chance to explore things at home.

my tour guide in egypt specified she want dollars. can't imagine why. :confused:

i also bought a beautiful necklace with dollars in oman. everywhere they wanted euros (except in dubai where the wanted dirhams and I bought a coke with egyptian pounds)

i can't imagine why people don't use an ATM to get local money. you get the best rates that way.

It is the same for us in the UK, sterling has dropped dramatically against the Euro. Last summer we were getting Euro1.45 to £1, yesterday when I exchanged money for our Serena trip next week, I got Euro1.21 to £1.

However, we do have an excellent £ / $ rate so that is in our favour so can't complain about that.

Tracey

Archived