Roatan Zip Line Death (MERGED THREADS)

BrainChemicals

We did the Jungle Canopy tour last week with Victor Bodden. We only had one line- not 2. Is that normal? I've looked at the pictures some of you have posted, and I see 2 lines on some, and 1 line on others. We weren't very high up, but still, if the one line had broken, it wouldn't have been good. I felt very safe, and we would like to do this again, but should we only do the ones with 2 lines? This was our first time to do this, so we really didn't know what to expect or look for.

Personally, I would never do a zipline that didn't have two cables. I loved zip lining and would do it again in a heartbeat, but anyone who says that one cable is as safe as two is misleading themselves.

Of course, this tragedy was on a two cable zipline but evidently, for some reason, the lady was not connected to the 2nd one. Unless policy is followed and you are connected to both lines, the 2nd cable is of course useless.

We were just on the Legend last week and did the Jungle Canopy zip-line. I've thought alot about our tour since reading of this lady's unfortunate death. With the exeception of my wife, all 5 of the rest of us had a great time. The guides were very good. We felt safe at the time. Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would let my children do this again though (ages 9,17, 23). Let me share a few pros and cons for those contemplating this in the future and you can make up your own mind. Pros: Not very high off the ground in comparison to others, average I would guess to be about 20 feet, sometimes less; the guides were very good and appeared safety conscious; harnesses appeared to be in good shape from an amatuer's view; you do not hand brake on this zip line, so you don't wear gloves or have to do any hand over hand stuff, if you get stuck which only one of our group did, the guide in front of you comes back to get you if needed.Cons: one cable only, no safety line; no helmets; platforms are small and one or two felt a little rickety, but you are fastened to a safety cable on the platform between zip cables so this was a minor concern; no one asked about our weight, or any physical limitations; most of us did what the guides call the "crazy monkey" where you let go with your hands and hang upside down---after having a blast doing this, I think it's a little crazy. If your harness is not tight enough, you could fall out since there is nothing up over your shoulders, only the harness around your legs and waist---you could potentially slide out just like if someone held you upside down by your shorts; also if you don't get back upright in time you could whack your head or neck on the next platform. Since we had a little wait because of several people showing up at once, the van driver at the zip line place was offering free water or beer prior to the zip line. Somehow I don't think beer and zip lining should go together, but to each his own.

In summary, we felt safe at the time and had a blast doing the zip line. But they could add a few more safety features.

DOC 1- sounds like the same place we were. Our tour guide made us feel very safe. The first time I jumped, I was very nervous, and as I neared the platform, I yelled "where are the brakes?"- our tour guide said "I'm your brakes!" And he was- very strong. My DH and youngest DD did the "crazy monkey" but I didn't. There was no way I was going to let go. Again- we weren't extremly high up, but still.

I didn't take any pictures, as it was raining on us, and I didn't want to get the camera out. We had a great time. Don't know if we will do this again, though.

We were on Carnival Legend in Roatan Friday April 4th and the zipline excursions were all cancelled. Gumbalimba Park was open for other activities. We were told that a man and woman had recently died on the zipline?

Our thought's and prayers go out to the families.

Barbie's obit was in the Houston Chronicle this morning. http://www.legacy.com/houstonchronicle/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=106417457

I have been reading through these posts as my son and I just went ziplining in Antigua. I clicked on the link to see who she was and I was horrified to find out that it is a childhood friend of mine....Barbie Daniels. I'm a FLgirl now but me and Barbie went to elementary school together in Spring TX and high School in Klein. I last saw her at our 10th or 20th reunion. We were much closer as kids and teens because we were brownies and girl scouts.

She was a funny girl with a happy disposition and loved adventure so now I see why she would have loved that ziplining tour just like I did! She was probably having lots of laughs just anticipating the fun of it.

I don't know her family or her kids...I'm so so sorry for all of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from our NCL Sun cruise this past Saturday. We went to Gumbalimba park to do a clear kayak and snorkel excursion. The ziplines are now back open there. The areas I could see while walking around the park now have 3 cables. I am not sure if all 3 are used or how they are used.

Keith

Just got back from our NCL Sun cruise this past Saturday. We went to Gumbalimba park to do a clear kayak and snorkel excursion. The ziplines are now back open there. The areas I could see while walking around the park now have 3 cables. I am not sure if all 3 are used or how they are used.

Keith

Wow, this is interesting news. I would have thought that the zipline would have been closed indefinitely, if not permanently. So much legalaties to wade through. Thanks for the update.

I have been reading through these posts as my son and I just went ziplining in Antigua.

My wife and i also did ziplining in Antigua on our honeymoon when we stayed at Sandals last June. Those lines were hand brake controlled though, MUCH different than Roatan that are not handbrake.

We just returned on Sunday & did do the ziplining in Belize. The guides were very professional & there were two cables used. I thought I would have been more apprehensive but the equipment looked like it was in good condition (in my amateur opinion) and safety did seem to be a paramount concern. You were actaully tethered to the tree when waiting for you turn. The zips weren't as long as I expected but it was still fun nonetheless zipping through the rain forest. The Belizean guides we had claimed that the accident in Roatan should never have happened had proper saftey protocols been followed. We also noticed that all ziplines were in operation in Roatan.

The Belizean guides we had claimed that the accident in Roatan should never have happened had proper saftey protocols been followed. .

I'm sure they are right. When we zipped on the line that had the accident, there were 2 cables, the equipment looked to be in good shape and we too were always secured to something. Either the cable or the railings of the platforms. There is no way that poor lady could have fallen unless some safety procedure was not followed.

I'm not much of a daredevil, but I wanted to do the zipline in Roatan.

Now, not so much.

Vacation, for me, is about relaxing, not adreneline rushes or anxiety attacks over safety issues.

Think I'll stick to an island tour and a beach.

Such a sad tragedy. I thank everyone for all the information they have shared, as hard as it may have been to recall the event.

My plans were set to zip line during our Legend visit in July. After reading this tragedy, I'm having second thoughts. I normally have no fears or hesitations in doing anything, but when the entire operations safety protocols are in question...I may cancel my plans all together.

I would appreciate anyone that could verify that 'Jungle Canopy Tours' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean' operate with only ONE line (no safety line).

I did the Palmetto Jungle Canopy a week ago today. It was only one cable (no safety line). I never felt unsafe at all. I felt very safe and never doubted my safety. Some people at my table did the POTC line and from what I could see from their pictures, it appeared to be only 1 cable.

I would appreciate anyone that could verify that 'Jungle Canopy Tours' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean' operate with only ONE line (no safety line).
DH did the Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme zipline tour. There was only a single cable.

Gumbalimba Park, where this tragedy happened, had the double cable so accidents can obviously happen even with a safety cable.

I have been to Roatan twice and I did the South Shore zip-line just up the street from the Gumbalimba zip-line where the accident happened, but they both use the same system with 2 cables. I believe it was an accident and accidents will happen all the guides at South Shore were professional and the equipment was all climber's certified equipment bought in the U.S.A. but that doesn't mean an accident will not occur I think it depends on the appearance of the facility and maintenance that insures more safety and Roatan has done it only this was a fatal mistake at Gumbalimba Park.

For what it's worth, I would not do a zipline that didn't have the double cable. Ironically, I was on the Gumbalimba zipline the day before the accident and felt very safe, because of that 2nd safety cable. I was always attached to something at all times, even when on the platforms.

The accident on Gumbalimba was caused by human error. Had safety precautions been followed, that poor lady never would have fallen. Another lesson that should be learned from this is not to remain silent if you are not comfortable. Make damned sure that that safety cable is attached and if someone goes to disconnect it, do not allow it to happen.

Although I love my ziplining adventure, and would go back to the Gumbalimba line tomorrow if it was open, after hearing of this accident, I won't ever zipline without the safety cable. One line securing you simply isn't enough. No matter how much they inspect, or what safety regulations are followed, if something happens to that line, you are history. Ziplining is a total thrill but it's not worth dying for and if there is a safety cable, and you inspect your harness, and aren't afraid to speak up if you feel safety procedures aren't being followed, then it's a very safe activity.

Has anyone heard whether Gumbalimba/South Shore lines are open/reopened? I am one of those "lightening never strikes twice" believers; thinking that the issues will be resolved. I just am looking for a posting stating that these lines have been checked and visitors are back to using them safely.

Just to correct you South SHore, Pirates or Jungle canopy were not involved with a closure. The company with the Accident was Gumbalimba Park and yes they are open but not through your ship according to people who live there.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on this very same zip line which the lady fell from while my cousins went on one that they bought through NCL. The differences in safety were vast.

For one, theirs was highly staffed- a wrangler on each post but on ours the wrangler rode with us and there was one per 4 riders. My cousins were required to wear shoes and helmets where we were given the option and they duck taped our sandals onto our feet so they wouldn't fall off. We were also allowed to do "tricks" while we rode like flipping upside down. I am a trained and certified ropes course wrangler here in the US so I felt safe and I knew my harness was on safely. My only concern for my safety was that the trees that the cables were tied to had a lot of give and would shake more than I am used to when I landed on them.

The fact is, there are regulations on courses like this in America (like replacing harnesses regularly and checking for wear and proper fit) but in a country like Honduras a lot slides under the regulatory radar. There are a lot of things that we just don't know about the situation like was she too big for the harness? was it put on her properly? was she trying a trick? how old was the harness?

My heart really goes out to the family, especially her son who witnessed it. They will be in my prayers.

For anyone considering going on a zip line- they are a BLAST but don't do it if you don't know anything about it. Make sure you know how to check your equipment and put it on properly and don't do anything that you don't feel safe doing. Also, ask to see the course before riding it and check for rust or wear on the cables.

Am planning to do zip lining in Sept with my 16 yr old son. Sort of hesitant about the whole thing, but want to try. Based on recommendations on this board , I was going to go with Jungle Canopy . I am told it is probably the best for someone with no experience. However, I read on this thread, they do not use double cables . Why don't they all use a safety cable ?

Appreciate your comments:)

I have been on this very same zip line which the lady fell from while my cousins went on one that they bought through NCL. The differences in safety were vast.

For one, theirs was highly staffed- a wrangler on each post but on ours the wrangler rode with us and there was one per 4 riders. My cousins were required to wear shoes and helmets where we were given the option and they duck taped our sandals onto our feet so they wouldn't fall off. We were also allowed to do "tricks" while we rode like flipping upside down. I am a trained and certified ropes course wrangler here in the US so I felt safe and I knew my harness was on safely. My only concern for my safety was that the trees that the cables were tied to had a lot of give and would shake more than I am used to when I landed on them.

The fact is, there are regulations on courses like this in America (like replacing harnesses regularly and checking for wear and proper fit) but in a country like Honduras a lot slides under the regulatory radar. There are a lot of things that we just don't know about the situation like was she too big for the harness? was it put on her properly? was she trying a trick? how old was the harness?

My heart really goes out to the family, especially her son who witnessed it. They will be in my prayers.

For anyone considering going on a zip line- they are a BLAST but don't do it if you don't know anything about it. Make sure you know how to check your equipment and put it on properly and don't do anything that you don't feel safe doing. Also, ask to see the course before riding it and check for rust or wear on the cables.

Sorry but you are misinformed. The lady fell from the Gumbalimba Park zipline which IS the zipline company that all cruise lines used. She booked her zipline excursion through NCL. So, if your cousins booked through NCL, they were on the zipline that the lady fell from at Gumbalimba, not you.

We were on the Gumbalimba line the day before the lady fell. We found it to be safe, especially considering they had the safety line. It would seem almost impossible to actually fall, unless there was human error. Which there was as the poor ladies safety line was disconnected at some point.

We were ziplining on June 4th in Roatan and I specifically asked the guide what happened. It was human error. The line did not break and the back up cable had nothing to do with it. (He also told me the back up cables are NOT actually hooked to the person--he says that gives people a false sense of security)

According to him, (this is sort of hard to explain if you haven't seen the way they hook you up) they put the pully thing (is that what it is called?)on the line then they they take the big C clamp that is attached to the person and go though the 2 holes of the pully. The guide somehow only went through one of the holes so it didn't completely in-circle the cable. I assume the movement or what ever was enough to to "flip the pully" and it went through that second space that was open. After he told us that, we eyeballed every attachment!

Reading what I wrote sounds confusing. Sorry. I just don't know how to explain it. I do think he knew what he was talking about, though. The island is pretty small and I'm guessing all the "zippers" know each other.

When I asked the owner what happened, the response was, "I didn't hear", but I think that was just avoiding the topic.

Just passing on what I heard last week.

We were ziplining on June 4th in Roatan and I specifically asked the guide what happened. It was human error. The line did not break and the back up cable had nothing to do with it. (He also told me the back up cables are NOT actually hooked to the person--he says that gives people a false sense of security)

According to him, (this is sort of hard to explain if you haven't seen the way they hook you up) they put the pully thing (is that what it is called?)on the line then they they take the big C clamp that is attached to the person and go though the 2 holes of the pully. The guide somehow only went through one of the holes so it didn't completely in-circle the cable. I assume the movement or what ever was enough to to "flip the pully" and it went through that second space that was open. After he told us that, we eyeballed every attachment!

Reading what I wrote sounds confusing. Sorry. I just don't know how to explain it. I do think he knew what he was talking about, though. The island is pretty small and I'm guessing all the "zippers" know each other.

When I asked the owner what happened, the response was, "I didn't hear", but I think that was just avoiding the topic.

Just passing on what I heard last week.

Sorry, but he didn't know what he was talking about. I'm sure that rumors are running wild. Right after it happened, there were postings on here from people who were in line behind the lady, and eventually, they explained what happened.

On Gumbalimba Park zipline, there are two separate cables, unlike the other ziplines on Roatan which only have one cable. The pully is attached with a C clamp at your waste and is attached to the main line. A separate line, with another C clamp on the end, that is also attached to your harness is attached to the safety line. The safety line is absolutely, 100% attached to the "person". Should one cable fail, the other would hold you. It would seem impossible for someone to fall and it would be, if not for human error.

They taught you how to brake, or slow down by pulling down on the cable. And on each platform, they would instruct you what to do on that zipline...no brakes, slight brake all the way, brake at the end, brake in the middle, etc. Also, at this zipline, there were guides to instruct you, and hook you up at every platform but no guides went down with you...you went alone. If you applied too much brake, you would stop short of the next platform. If you stopped, a guide would approach from the front (the platform you were heading to), wrap his legs around yours to grasp you and then he would pull both of you back towards his platform using a hand over hand motion on the cable. At no time were either of you unhooked from either the main, or the safety cable.

In the case of the lady who fell, from the eyewitnesses, for some unknown reason, the guide from behind her (the platform she had left) came to rescue her when she stopped. He could not pull her back up the incline she had just come down and needed to get around her, in front of her, to pull them both to the next platform. In order to get around her, he disconnected her and his safety and was beginning to manipulate himself around her when the main cable snapped and both fell. It is assumed that the cable failed due to the combined weight of both of them. Unfortunately, the poor lady died of her injuries and the guide was hurt pretty badly.

Am planning to do zip lining in Sept with my 16 yr old son. Sort of hesitant about the whole thing, but want to try. Based on recommendations on this board , I was going to go with Jungle Canopy . I am told it is probably the best for someone with no experience. However, I read on this thread, they do not use double cables . Why don't they all use a safety cable ?

Appreciate your comments:)

You are probably going to think I'm crazy, but I'd do the Gumbalimba line again in a heartbeat. Human error caused that tragic accident, and I'm sure that since it happened, more precautions then ever are being used. If it is open as some here say it is, I'd book it if I were you. They are the only zipline in Roatan that has the safety cable and honestly, I personally wouldn't zipline without the a safety cable.

You are probably going to think I'm crazy, but I'd do the Gumbalimba line again in a heartbeat. Human error caused that tragic accident, and I'm sure that since it happened, more precautions then ever are being used. If it is open as some here say it is, I'd book it if I were you. They are the only zipline in Roatan that has the safety cable and honestly, I personally wouldn't zipline without the a safety cable.

I would like to tell you that Gumbalimba is not the only one with 2 cables for safety on the Island. My family did South Shore and they too have 2 cables. I would think that after this accident all of them have stepped up to the plate on safety measures. One incident like this hurts all of them.

Archived