Shore excursion one day options HELP!

Kroth321

Does anyone have any RECENT dealings with memphis, nile blue or decastro for one day shore excursions from alexandria? I went to all three websites but found very limited info on there product. Obviously we have to see the pyramids while in egypt (for one day) but RCI wants $514 for our party of 4 (2 kids). Anyone find a better deal then this? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks A Bunch!!!

Kelly

We had DeCastro on March 8 of this year and I posted a wonderful report of our day that was deleted. We went to Giza, Memphus and Saqquara and had a most wonderful tour. I cannot say enough good things about the way deCastro handled our day--both before our trip and during the tour itself.

Did they pick you up at the pier? How was transportation? Was your guide knowledgable? I was very interested in going to the bazaar, were they amenable to extra stops? Thanks so much for your reply!!!

Kelly

I'l answer your questions--hoping I'm not violating any rules.

I had contacted DeCastro many months in advance because I wanted to have a custom tour.They were very reasonable when it came to planning and we got to do exactly what we wanted. DeCastro did help us plan what to see given the time constraints.

You may have seen other reports complaining about "shopping stops" I clearly told them while shopping wasn't big on our list that we wanted to buy a cartouche and a papyrus painting and that is exactly what we did. We were asked if we wanted to stop at a carpet school and we said no--it was dropped right away with no problem.

Having just returned I will say the you really have to have your day planned before you go, so be very very clear about what you want to do while you are in the planning stages. This is not a port where you decide at the last moment, you are 2 1/3- 3 hours from the ship and traffic in Cairo is not to be believed--so believe them when they say yes--this can be done or no--it would not be a good idea.

About the details--they picked us up at the pier right at the gate. Be sure to get off the ship as soon as you can--they will be waiting for you, you don't have to wait until the suggested time.

The van was clean--pretty new--air conditioned and very comfortable. At first there was going to be just DH and myself--then we got together with the family we were traveling with--but no matter what, DeCastro will not combine you with anyone unless you specifically ask them to. We had a cooler with bottled water and soda for us and everytime we came back to the van Dalia(our guide) was there with hand wipes for everyone. Lunch was included--no one got mummy tummy.

They do ask for a deposit to be wired or monygram. On our own we decided to pay full in advance, my credit union filled out the form wrong (which they admit) and the money never made it to Egypt. DeCastro was very understanding about this. By the way I went to Walmart and moneygrammed to Turkey for our tour and it only costs $15 and got there in two hours.

Our guide was EXCELLENT!!!

About the extra stops--Egypt is indeed a third world country, the vendors, camel drivers, beggers at the pyramids are very aggressive. The bazzar would be an interesting experience but only if you have your guide and guard with you at all times.

When you get back to the ship at the port they have a string of vendors set up if you don't have a chance to buy little trinkets in Cairo.

We used Nile Blue in Nov and Hazem was great. Picked us up at the ship and returned us with time to spare. College grad with an ezcellent command of English, he showed us as much as possible in a very short time.

Hi mountainmare...Noticed you were gone. I'm not sure what you did that was wrong, but the info you provided was invaluable, so I,m glad I found you again.

Anita, if you are out there, did you get my reply to your question about the date of our cruise? Did you book the Splendour?

Sandy:)

We used Nile Blue in Nov and Hazem was great. Picked us up at the ship and returned us with time to spare. College grad with an ezcellent command of English, he showed us as much as possible in a very short time.

Hi WeBeGone,

We have booked Nile Blue for next November. Could you tell me a little about what you saw? He said we would go to the museum first, then lunch (how was that?), then to Giza. Is there anything we should ask for? Is there anything you would do differently? We really don't know how much can be included. We're in Alexandria port from 7AM to 10PM.

Thanks for anything you can share!

Hi WeBeGone,

We have booked Nile Blue for next November. Could you tell me a little about what you saw? He said we would go to the museum first, then lunch (how was that?), then to Giza. Is there anything we should ask for? Is there anything you would do differently? We really don't know how much can be included. We're in Alexandria port from 7AM to 10PM.

I would think you could fit one more thing in, given your late sailing time. I'd recommend a mosque and/or the Khan el-Khalili bazaar. The Ibn Tulun mosque is very beautiful and unique; it is also not far from the bazaar so you could quickly see them both.

Many tours talk people to the Citadel (fortress built by Salah al-Din, or as we know him, Saladin), but unless you have several hours, you would probably only get to see the Alabaster mosque -- to my mind not one of the most beautiful -- and the city overlook.

I think the bazaar itself is really outstanding and picturesque. I enjoyed it not so much for the shopping as just for the photos I was able to take.

Hi Cruisemom42,

Thanks for recommending the Khan el-Khalili bazaar.:D

I'll ask Hazem if we will have time to stop and see it. Is it near the museum or Giza?

I'll search for it in the meantime.

Hi Cruisemom42,

Thanks for recommending the Khan el-Khalili bazaar.:D

I'll ask Hazem if we will have time to stop and see it. Is it near the museum or Giza?

I'll search for it in the meantime.

It's in Cairo proper, in an area usually called Islamic Cairo -- not too far from the Museum but in a slightly different quarter. Of course, the traffic in Cairo makes anything a driving experience!!

Nile Blue is doing our tour Apr18, one long day to Cairo (followed by a second day in Alexandria) and yes we have the Khan included, and the sound show with a late return to the boat since it stays in port. Much of this depends on how long you stay at each site plus allow for traffic to get between sites and the 2.5 hr trip from port to Cairo. Most of the companies posted on this site seem to drop the price for 6 people, so you may wish to find one more couple to join your tour off of your roll-call. The 15-seat buses allow for the guide and driver in the front and then four rows of seats - 3, 3, 3, 4 so that means 8-9 could fit comfortably, with kids you might get more. So become your own tour coordinator and use the roll call to make it a more economical trip.

I wrote a long and balanced report--it was pulled--sorry done talking here.

Hi Mountainmare,

When you posted that you had written your report, I came here to read it. I'm sorry that it was pulled!:( Did they give you a reason? Seems that they should let you revise it a little if it contains info that's not allowed. Did you post your trip report on another site? Really want to read it.

Thanks alot for your help.

Hi WeBeGone,

For only one day he has you doing about all you can do. It's a good 3 hour drive from the port to/from Cairo. The Museum is a MUST. Lunch will probably be at Cavier, $10 I think, with yoiur choice of chicken, fish, or beef. We've eaten there twice and the food is good. Remember, no ice cream, salad, or ice cubes. You can see the pyramids from the window of the restuarant. Then Giza. Take advantage of doing a camel ride. Hazem will arrange it for you. You will NOT have time to go to the bazaar. Do your shopping at the little shops at the Alexandria port. You'll have a great day.

For only one day he has you doing about all you can do. It's a good 3 hour drive from the port to/from Cairo. The Museum is a MUST. Lunch will probably be at Cavier, $10 I think, with yoiur choice of chicken, fish, or beef. We've eaten there twice and the food is good. Remember, no ice cream, salad, or ice cubes. You can see the pyramids from the window of the restuarant. Then Giza. Take advantage of doing a camel ride. Hazem will arrange it for you. You will NOT have time to go to the bazaar. Do your shopping at the little shops at the Alexandria port. You'll have a great day.

Thanks so much for your input! We're so excited to be able to see the pyramids and museum! Maybe the museum will be less crowded in the morning and Giza will be less crowded in the afternoon. Glad to hear that the food will be good. Will remember what not to eat and to buy souveniers at Alexandria port. A camel ride is definitely on my must do list!

Did you buy a cartouche during your trip?

Is there a set percentage to tip our guide and driver? I'm sure we'll be really tired after this excursion! If you think of anything else, please post.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I'm alot less nervous now.

I bought MANY cartouches. Hazem will show you an order sheet with photos and prices. He phones in the order while you're on the bus to Cairo. Then while you're at the pyramids, they are picked up and you have them on the bus ride home.

We tipped Hazem 20% of the total price then he paid the driver a share. The drivers are amazing. Be sure to have a camera that can take fast photos. Some of my most interesting shots were from the bus windows.

I bought MANY cartouches. Hazem will show you an order sheet with photos and prices. He phones in the order while you're on the bus to Cairo. Then while you're at the pyramids, they are picked up and you have them on the bus ride home.

We tipped Hazem 20% of the total price then he paid the driver a share. The drivers are amazing. Be sure to have a camera that can take fast photos. Some of my most interesting shots were from the bus windows.

Thanks for this info about the tips and cartouches. Can't wait to see the order sheet. Guess I have to wait til we're on the trip to decide which I want.

Hope my camera is fast enough. I've also taken some super pictures from the bus. Maybe I can help you out some day!:)

• 4 months later...

Kelly,

I just read your post regarding Egypt. We are wanting to do a private tour and have a quote from DeCastro that we will likely wire money for. We are a party of 6 with our kids and parents. Let me know if you would be interested in joining us. We are wanting to see the Pyramids and go tot he museum.

sandy

I posted info regarding Nile Blue Tours on this thread: Private Tour Recommendations for Egypt (1 comment) and Nile Blue Tours not Blue Nile (2 comments) We had a very positive experience with them this past May. Would recommend. We let them know ahead of time what we wanted to do and there was no problem. We paid $325 for the two of us for each day----Luxor and Cairo. Much less expensive than the ship's tour and we had the guide and driver for just the 2 of us. We did not have to pay until we got there. I paid separately each day, plus tips.

• 2 weeks later...
Kelly,

I just read your post regarding Egypt. We are wanting to do a private tour and have a quote from DeCastro that we will likely wire money for. We are a party of 6 with our kids and parents. Let me know if you would be interested in joining us. We are wanting to see the Pyramids and go tot he museum.

sandy

Sandy, Just today I saw this post. Can you give me a more detailed itinerary - or are you just going to the 2 places? I was also interested in going to the Bazaar but do not know if there is enough time from what I have read it is a pretty full day with the pyramids and museum. (Although I would forgo the Bazaar rather then the later sites) I hope this reaches you in time - it would be great to have the kids traveling together on the long journey from the ship. I will post this message in our roll call also!

Kelly

• 3 months later...
I posted info regarding Nile Blue Tours on this thread: Private Tour Recommendations for Egypt (1 comment) and Nile Blue Tours not Blue Nile (2 comments) We had a very positive experience with them this past May. Would recommend. We let them know ahead of time what we wanted to do and there was no problem. We paid $325 for the two of us for each day----Luxor and Cairo. Much less expensive than the ship's tour and we had the guide and driver for just the 2 of us. We did not have to pay until we got there. I paid separately each day, plus tips.

Hmmmmm,

I was just quoted $375 by Nile Blue tours for the same package. Must be some inflation in egypt. Gas prices are down since August.

Regards,

T Tail

When we were in Egypt, I was advised to ask how the letters are fixed onto the metal. You do not want them glued as they will eventually fall off. Of course, I guess it depends how you intent to wear it and how often, etc and what they're charging. But it never hurts to ask.

We were in Cairo several years ago and loved it ! I'm so excited to see the pyramids again, just disappointed that the Royal Princess doesn't allow time to visit the Valley of the Kings. OMG Enjoy !

Archived