HAL not leaving Mexico. The facts.

billroddy

Yes I am sure you are right about her handling, though having said that I do not think Rotterdam was too bad in that respect.

However, she is just too big for us. We sailed the Panama Canal at Christmas on P&O's Arcadia, which of course is a vista ship, having originally been ordered for HAL. We were not keen - too many people and you rarely saw the same people twice and a huge dining room. My husband was convinced that they were ships for people who do not like cruising as it seemed possible to travel some routes on the public room decks and not see the sea. It has been a bit of a struggle for us accepting ships of the size of P&O's Artemis and the Rotterdam, but we just do not wish to go larger. We loved Rotterdam and thought the Amsterdam would be great too.

Does anyone know if you do these bookings when on board and you change your mind as we are doing if you lose your deposit or have to pay an extra fee to move onto another cruise. Does the fact that they have altered the ship - and probably the sailing date and departure port make a difference if so. It is interesting nothing has yet changed on the HAL board. If Amsterdam is going back on the world cruise what is Rotterdam doing? It could eventually impact the whole fleet!!!

Yes I am sure you are right about her handling, though having said that I do not think Rotterdam was too bad in that respect.

However, she is just too big for us. We sailed the Panama Canal at Christmas on P&O's Arcadia, which of course is a vista ship, having originally been ordered for HAL. We were not keen - too many people and you rarely saw the same people twice and a huge dining room. My husband was convinced that they were ships for people who do not like cruising as it seemed possible to travel some routes on the public room decks and not see the sea. It has been a bit of a struggle for us accepting ships of the size of P&O's Artemis and the Rotterdam, but we just do not wish to go larger. We loved Rotterdam and thought the Amsterdam would be great too.

Does anyone know if you do these bookings when on board and you change your mind as we are doing if you lose your deposit or have to pay an extra fee to move onto another cruise. Does the fact that they have altered the ship - and probably the sailing date and departure port make a difference if so. It is interesting nothing has yet changed on the HAL board. If Amsterdam is going back on the world cruise what is Rotterdam doing? It could eventually impact the whole fleet!!!

We were on the Westerdam, the captain said over 200 passengers asnd when we walked the halls she was empty...This was in the Med.

Greg - If they don't fit our needs (and they don't), it doesn't matter how 'nice' they are. :rolleyes:

I understand ... you may find that, with the exception of the lack of a self-service Laundry, this class of ship meets your needs. I know most of your concerns (you've shared them with me), and I think you'll be surprised.

Nevertheless, I agree that I'd rather do that itinerary on either an S or an R. :D

Did not write him, but don't see any 7 day cruises that include Copper Canyon. Only 10 days on the Ryndam.

Bill

QUOTE=Jade13;13998213]Bill, a bit OT but since you are in touch with Joe, can you ask him if they are considering the 7 night roundtrip from San Diego with Copper Canyon? When I have phoned I have been told that a lot of pasengers are asking for the same thing. For those of us that still work, it would be a great itinerary for that extra one week vacation cruise. Sunday to Sunday with Saturday available for the San Diego Zoo or Day in Disney prior to the cruise.....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really disappointed. I wanted to sail the Oosterdam on the Dec 5, 2009 MR cruise on last time. I was even about to book it online but now I don't know what to do? HAL says it is saling on that date but perhaps the Customer Service people haven't been informed. I wonder how we can get a definite answer about the date of the last Oosterdam MR cruise. Is it Feb 2009 or Dec 2009? Wishing and hoping for December 2009.

Also, Pirnces will not have a San Diego MR cruise for 2008 or the near future. They have pulled the Dawn Princess, a Vista Class type ship from San Diego. They are using the Sapphire Princess out of LA in place of the Golden.

Does anyone know if you do these bookings when on board and you change your mind as we are doing if you lose your deposit or have to pay an extra fee to move onto another cruise.

You may cancel your booking at anytime prior to final payment date and transfer your $100 deposit to another cruise without penalty or a fee.

Archived