Need help packing for 2 weeks in Western Med.

I need some help making a packing list for 14 days in the Western Mediterranean (10 night cruise on Celebrity, plus 3 days pre-cruise and 1 day post-cruise), from October 7 to October 21. There are 3 formal nights on this upcoming cruise. What should I take that will be weather appropriate and weigh less than the airline weight limit (75 lbs)? I am determined to take only 1 large suitcase for me and 1 for DH.

I need help with everything - how many shorts, pants, skirts, and what kind for the weather? How many shirts, jackets, shoes? And what kinds of those?

The average temps for our ports in October are:

Barcelona - 54 low/ 70 high

Marseille and Nice - 52 low/ 68 high

Florence/Rome/Naples - 50 low / 72 high

Valletta - 63 low / 76 high

Tunis - 59 low / 77 high

Lastly, how to pack for 3 formal nights in one suitcase and still have room for my regular stuff? I'm a notorious over-packer, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I need some help making a packing list for 14 days in the Western Mediterranean (10 night cruise on Celebrity, plus 3 days pre-cruise and 1 day post-cruise), from October 7 to October 21. There are 3 formal nights on this upcoming cruise. What should I take that will be weather appropriate and weigh less than the airline weight limit (75 lbs)? I am determined to take only 1 large suitcase for me and 1 for DH.

I need help with everything - how many shorts, pants, skirts, and what kind for the weather? How many shirts, jackets, shoes? And what kinds of those?

The average temps for our ports in October are:

Barcelona - 54 low/ 70 high

Marseille and Nice - 52 low/ 68 high

Florence/Rome/Naples - 50 low / 72 high

Valletta - 63 low / 76 high

Tunis - 59 low / 77 high

Lastly, how to pack for 3 formal nights in one suitcase and still have room for my regular stuff? I'm a notorious over-packer, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

1. Layers - but make them light

2. Utilize the laundry facilities on board so you only have to pack 1/2 of what you need

3. Wear 1st formal outfit on 3rd formal night as well.

4. One pair of dressy shoes to go with all formal wear, one pair of nice sandals/shoes to wear for other dinners, one pair of really, really good walking shoes for ports, one pair of thongs for pool.

5. Coordinate colors so everything goes with everything else.

DH and I did this last August and it worked out very well...one suitcase each and one carry on each.

I have been to the Med in October several times and it's a great time to visit.

I did a 7 night Med cruise and 7 nights in Italy with a med suitcase and carry on only. I had plenty of options.

1) Leave the shorts at home unless you work out and need them for the gym.

2) Coordinate around a color combination. Black/tan, black/white, etc.

3) Choose travel friendly fabrics, like microfiber and knits.

4) Pack two pair of good walking shoes and two pair for evenings onboard ship.

5) Pack separates for formal night or dresses in matte jersey. I brought two long matte jersey sheaths for evening and they took up almost no space.

6) For other nights, pack a nice pair of slacks with a few different tops. I like skirts and simple wrap dresses as well and choose packable fabrics.

7) Twin sets are great for travel.

8) I bring a pashima in my carry on to use on the plane and to wear when evenings are cool

9) Pack an unbrella as October can be rainy (was there last October and had 3 days of rain)

10) I like fine knit fitted tees in 3/4 length sleeves as well as a couple of short sleeve tees.

Have a wonderful trip!

Formal dresses don't have to be "ballgowns"! Think slinky! Slinky materials won't wrinkle! Now, hubby's suit or tux is going to weigh alot--perhaps rent onboard the ship? It would certainly save weight in your suitcase!

Thanks for the help (and the umbrella tip...would have forgotten that one). We are definitely renting hubby's formal wear, he wears size 15 shoes and those take up so much space and weight in the suitcase, you wouldn't believe it :eek: I will start hunting for some jersey dresses - right now I only have ballgowns, nothing slinky or thin like jersey knit. I was considering skipping formal nights altogether so as not to have this problem, but I love dressing up :)

I'm also going to pick up a bunch of long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve fitted tees. I have plenty of short sleeves. I assume that the tees and khaki pants will be good for the October weather.

Any tips on finding comfy walking shoes that are still stylish? The last time I was in Europe I refused to do tennis shoes - wore a brown pair of loafers instead - and my feet suffered for it. Is there anything out there that is cute but still has a little more support and cushion?

I'm also going to pick up a bunch of long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve fitted tees. I have plenty of short sleeves. I assume that the tees and khaki pants will be good for the October weather.

Any tips on finding comfy walking shoes that are still stylish? The last time I was in Europe I refused to do tennis shoes - wore a brown pair of loafers instead - and my feet suffered for it. Is there anything out there that is cute but still has a little more support and cushion?

I don't like khakis personally and always pack black microfibers for Europe. They can be worn more than once, they can be rinsed out in the tub and are dry the next morning (important when you pack for 2 weeks in a carry on as we did) and they don't need pressing. But if you are a khaki fan then they will be fine for the weather.

My fav walking shoes are Cole Haan with Nike Air soles. I have several pair in different styles and seasons and I can walk many miles on cobblestones and uneven pavement with no problem. And I think they are cute. I have the Air Brogan Mules:

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/category.jsp?categoryId=309503#page=3,viewAll=FALSE

and the Air Brias in black:

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/category.jsp?categoryId=306401#page=2,viewAll=FALSE

I also have some that are not on their current website. I have bought all of them on sale at 50-75% off so being a good shopper pays off.

There are lots of brands of comfortable and attractive shoes--and many different threads here discussing it (some even specificy to Europe so you won't get all the sandals recommendations) Is the search feature running again?

Just start trying shoes on--and whatever you buy, break in well before your trip! Some brands are more narrow, some are wider (and some are available in N/M/W widths) For instance--Clark and Born are too narrow for me, but Dansko & Privo (which is made by Clarks) fit nicely. I also love Sofft.

Caviergirl-can you tell me what you mean by microfiber pants? Like the Citinits that Coldwater Creek has?

I am looking for the impossible I guess. Something travels well. Not old lady looking. something that can be worn with nice t shirts & blazer , not sweat, yoga , not citinits , no jeans, no khakis, Ya know what I mean? Would love something like you are saying that you can wash and wear. Appreciate any info

On the other note I have a couple dresses and a couple skirts that are crinkle that you can wash, wring wad up and dry. good for warm weather cruising.

Caviergirl-can you tell me what you mean by microfiber pants? Like the Citinits that Coldwater Creek has?

I am looking for the impossible I guess. Something travels well. Not old lady looking. something that can be worn with nice t shirts & blazer , not sweat, yoga , not citinits , no jeans, no khakis, Ya know what I mean? Would love something like you are saying that you can wash and wear. Appreciate any info

On the other note I have a couple dresses and a couple skirts that are crinkle that you can wash, wring wad up and dry. good for warm weather cruising.

Coldwater Creek is generally too matronly for me personally and I am not familiar with their Citinits.

Something like style this is what I choose: http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=12431&N=0&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=microfiber+slacks&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&found=205&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

They can be dressed up for evening or worn with a fitted tee for daytime.

The pants caviargirl recommends are (in my opinion) the best pants in the world. I have a half a dozen pair of them is different styles. They are great for travel, and as she says works for day or evening. They should be dry cleaned, but if you're in a pinch you can was them in the washing machine on gentle and hang them to dry. When they are dry pop them in the dryer for a few minutes to get any wrinkles out, and you're set. I wouldn't do it regularly, but I have done it a few times without ruining them.

Archived