What to do in Zihuatanejo, Mexico?

queenofdnile

Great...I'm convinced, and thanks! Sounds like Paty's for us when we're in Zihua.. :)

And as long as I am offering free advice, if there are any birders out there that want to know where to go birding while in Zihuatanejo....just ask. :)

Hey KroozNut,

Thanks for doing my research for me! I'll be there at Paty's too (if you guys can stand me!) It sounds like JUST my kinda place!

Lardor: MANY thanks!!

KroozNut: See ya back at our Carnival Spirit Roll Call board! Yikes, we're only 6 months away from sailaway! ;)

Wendell

See posts 21-24 above.. We're going to Paty's! :)

http://www.patys-marymar.com/

Hey KroozNut,

Thanks for doing my research for me! I'll be there at Paty's too (if you guys can stand me!) It sounds like JUST my kinda place!

Lardor: MANY thanks!!

KroozNut: See ya back at our Carnival Spirit Roll Call board! Yikes, we're only 6 months away from sailaway! ;)

Wendell

Wendell,

My pleasure... I've been doing my homework for this one! By all means regarding Paty's, and of course we can stand you... you know what they say, the more the merrier!! :D

Funny to come across this thread just a day after our deep discussions on "how would you like to spend the perfect February day - Belize, Mexico, Hawaii?"

Our first "Zhua" day was at La Ropa - I thought it was absolutely lovely. We paid about $20 for two loungers and were treated wonderfully. I could recommend it to anyone-

until

When we went back it was to Los Gatos - a panga to the beach- tracked down Frank at Otilia's (the red umbrellas near the end of the beach) - a $10us pina cola that was drink, breakfast and brunch- a table and chairs that Frank insisted on changing from near perfect to absolutely perfect.

When I told Frank "no flour" he Got It. Shrimp tacos- under $10us, corn chips only. $1us waters, $5us margaritas.

Even asked for our departure time and made sure we were on our way in pleny of time. I think our final bill was @$85 and we were very happy campers.

So when the question came to that "perfect day" - Frank's at Los Gatos was the answer.

• 4 months later...
And as long as I am offering free advice, if there are any birders out there that want to know where to go birding while in Zihuatanejo....just ask. :)

One of the men going with us loves to bird watch so I would love to share info with him..... we will be there only 1 day since we are arriving by cruise ship.

Thanks for all your helpful info in this thread -- and elsewhere as well!

One of the men going with us loves to bird watch so I would love to share info with him..... we will be there only 1 day since we are arriving by cruise ship.

Thanks for all your helpful info in this thread -- and elsewhere as well!

Here's a easy bird walk for your friend (if he wants more info he can Email me at lardor@yahoo.com)

At the end of the pier turn right and walk to the end of the pedestrian walkway, about 6/10 minutes to a bridge that goes over a canal. Go up on the bridge and bird both ways but don't cross over. Walk along side the canal that has a 4 to 5 foot wall and check every 30/40 feet for birds. Should take about 15/25 minutes depending on what's there. A little less than half way, there is another walking bridge, look both ways but don't cross yet. When you get to the road, cross over and bird on the way back. There are houses along some of the way and a much lower wall on this side. As you bear right to follow the road that runs along side the canal, you'll come to a juice stand on the left side of the road, on the sidewalk, Isabala's..buy some fresh squeezed orange juice, by now you're running a little warm and it's delicious! If you're hungry, a little farther at the middle bridge is a little hole in the wall, Salvatories...good food and all day 2 for 1 drinks... Continue birding where you can and at the end of the canal at the first bridge that takes you back to the beach walk, turn around and check the trees that are behind the fence. Last year I saw Black Crowned Night Heron and Boat Billed Heron sleeping in the trees. Also check the trees and telephone wires as you walk both sides....you should/could see about 15/25 birds...

Lardor - Thanks for all the info you have provided here and on another thread. How would you compare Ixtapa Island to La Ropa as far as beach and water conditions are concerned. It's going to be one or the other for 9 of us on a Christmas cruise. If we don't go to Ixtapa Island, we're thinking of Paty's on La Ropa. We really liked Ixtapa Island the two times we went there but thinking of trying something different. Thanks for your help.

Lardor - Thanks for all the info you have provided here and on another thread. How would you compare Ixtapa Island to La Ropa as far as beach and water conditions are concerned. It's going to be one or the other for 9 of us on a Christmas cruise. If we don't go to Ixtapa Island, we're thinking of Paty's on La Ropa. We really liked Ixtapa Island the two times we went there but thinking of trying something different. Thanks for your help.

Apples and oranges...

I think the island is too "small" for me (same for Las Gatos) I like to beach walk.

Water is a little calmer on Ixtapa Island but you can snorkel, Temperature is about the same, it's a lot cheaper to La Ropa (unless U take the bus or at least the bus back)...

It's really what the 9 of you enjoy doing, with 9, it's not so much the destination but the company ?...unless you're in each others hair...

If you're looking for "Mexican beach" experience, I would choose Playa Larga, water too rough to swim but you'll be in the middle of a million Mexican beach goers on a 15 mile beach, it's Xmas remember and it'll be crowded anywhere you go but there won't be that many Gringo there.....

Archived